cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard Discontinued?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard Discontinued?

@wasCB14 wrote:

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

My Barclays Rewards MC was headed for the chopping block this coming Spring.  I wonder if I should hang on too it and see what they replace it with??

Maybe they are trying to move some people to Cash Forward?

It is a bit puzzling. I don't see how the rewards could be unsustainable for them or anything like that.

In the last year I noticed and read many posts on various sites related to Barclays and their cards. Seems they churn their card stock quite a bit. For what gain, I have no idea.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Commence card, which SallieMae customers are being forced to, has a similar rewards structure as the Barclaycard Rewards.  My guess is that the Commence card is essentially replacing the Rewards card as well.  The Barclaycard Rewards was really a sockdrawer card for me anyway.  With the prevalence of 1.5% (e.g. Quicksilver, Discover it Miles) or 2% (e.g. Fidelity Visa, Citi DoubleCash) on everything cards, I don't really see the purpose or appeal of a card that provides 2% on certain categories.

Chris.

Message 12 of 24
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Commence card, which SallieMae customers are being forced to, has a similar rewards structure as the Barclaycard Rewards.  My guess is that the Commence card is essentially replacing the Rewards card as well.  The Barclaycard Rewards was really a sockdrawer card for me anyway.  With the prevalence of 1.5% (e.g. Quicksilver, Discover it Miles) or 2% (e.g. Fidelity Visa, Citi DoubleCash) on everything cards, I don't really see the purpose or appeal of a card that provides 2% on certain categories.

Chris.

I think it serves a purpose for people who don't yet qualify for the Fidelitys, Citi and Chase-type cards.

Granted, the cash difference between 1.5% Quicksilver and 2% Barclay at a grocery store is not much, but it depends on how much you spend, and to some people, every little bit counts.  If you spend $100 a week in groceries and $25 a week on gas, that's $32.50...  Not a lot, but to some, that's a free movie night with their SO with popcorn and a soda.

BUT, for those of us with more options (like 5% category cards), you're right, its a back bench card.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 13 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

I think it serves a purpose for people who don't yet qualify for the Fidelitys, Citi and Chase-type cards.

Granted, the cash difference between 1.5% Quicksilver and 2% Barclay at a grocery store is not much, but it depends on how much you spend, and to some people, every little bit counts.  If you spend $100 a week in groceries and $25 a week on gas, that's $32.50...  Not a lot, but to some, that's a free movie night with their SO with popcorn and a soda.

BUT, for those of us with more options (like 5% category cards), you're right, its a back bench card.

Yes, I think the "average credit" version was a card for rebuilders, but while it did earn 0.5% than QS on some categories, it earned 0.5% less on everything else (so either you need both or your 2% categories were the bulk of your spending).

It's quite likely that the Commence will be available with the same types of scores, if they want to continue to serve that segment.  

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will this work if i just got this card 30 days ago? Will it be reported as closed and a new card open when they transfer you to a new card?
Message 15 of 24
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Yes, I think the "average credit" version was a card for rebuilders, but while it did earn 0.5% than QS on some categories, it earned 0.5% less on everything else (so either you need both or your 2% categories were the bulk of your spending).

It's quite likely that the Commence will be available with the same types of scores, if they want to continue to serve that segment.  

Yes, the Rewards MC was definitely at rebuilder card, I was approved for it, responding to a pre-approval mailer, just 4 months post BK7 discharge. I like the card, it's very easy to use it just for the 2% categories. My electric utility doesn't charge a surcharge for CC payments, so the monthly electric bill goes on my Rewards MC for 2% cashback. At my local Walmart every purchase gets 2% as groceries, whether it's a steak or car battery. Every purchase at my Giant convenience store gets 2% as a gas purchase, whether it gas or beer & cigarettes (yeah, I know . . .). And it's only $10 to redeem rewards, where my Cash Forward requires $50.

I do have a Discover It card, so Jan-March it will be used for gas/beer/cigs for 5%, but for everyday use for utilities & groceries the Rewards MC is a great card. And as longs as my 2010 BK7 is on my CR, Citi/Chase/Fidelity are out of reach.  If they force me into a Commerce card it better have the same rewards structure or I'll move the CL to CashForward & close it.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

No you will still keep the card and rewards program. For now anyway. I wrote in an asked. Also asked if I could PC and was told no. So it looks like no bew apps for this card but if you have it you keep it.
Message 17 of 24
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I can't find any info on the new Commence card. Where is everyone seeing this new card?

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 18 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

As far as we know the Commence card is simply what Sallie Mae cardholders are being product changed to. It's unclear if it will be actually available for applications.
Message 19 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

I found it useful for groceries, utilities, and big drug stores spending.

I folded it into my other Barclay cards when they declined to lower the interest rate for me, which probably just had to do with the fact that they were starting to phase the card out, since they were more than happy to lower the interest rate on my LL Bean card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.