Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard CLD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard CLD

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Got an credit alert about the limit changing on my Barclaycard..I logged in to see a credit limit decrease, this is the 2nd one they have given me in 3 years of having the card. I unfortunately had run it up pretty high in 2015 due to some financial difficulties, and have slowly been paying it down and not using it since then.

So I called and spoke with an analyst and she said the reason was because of my overall credit debt picture, including utlization. I said you guys are balance chasing me for the 2nd time now, how is that helping my overall debt/utilization picture? She didn't really have an answer. Man..I thought calling into an analyst would help but it just ended up being a waste of time.

I have nderogatories, no late payments, overall utilization 40%, score has been hovering right at 650 for the past year. 

Another one to add to the data pile for Barclaycard.

Since they're going to balance chase you until you pay it off, just say good riddance and close it now. They've already ruined your utilization, so no harm. I was also CLD'd twice by Barclays for paying off balances too quickly for their liking. The day I closed that card was truly a big step for me in my credit journey. It was the first time I realized banks need me, I don't need them. 

I'm about to that point. If I had known more about them I probably wouldn't have applied for a card with them 3 years ago.

Message 11 of 46
chaos51
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Hello Barclays, meet AJC, not a fan sorry to hear this. They probably see the balance still there after 2 years and want to send you a message that they are in charge. Anyway you might bt the balance away, looks like theyll continue to balance chase you snd close up the account. Id be proactive and close them outSmiley Wink

You know what.. that's exactly what I was thinking.. but I don't have any balance transfer offers right now with any of my other cards, and I am not really sure if or how you can close a credit card that still has a balance. I closed some sub-prime cards I had started my credit out with (hello credit one) many years ago but their balances were all at $0 and that's the only cards I've ever closed. They are really leaving a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. I've never had any creditor act like they have.

@Anonymous there are a lot of people having good luck with the Discover pre-approval page on the website, and they have a nice 14 month offer for some people.

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $306,900
Pay Over Time Limit: $85,000
Fico 8 Scores: Ex: 751, TU 751, EQ 741
Message 12 of 46
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear, Barclays strikes again. They actually slapped me with my third CLD last week on Arrival+ Annual fee had just posted, with a -$2.85 credit. When I called to cancel I told the CSR precisely that (and that it was a fairly common occurrence with them from what I'd read online). Fortunately there's other Banks that aren't as awful.
Message 13 of 46
kugel
Valued Contributor

Sorry they got u but yes it’s a nasty bank
Message 14 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay is notorious for doing this out of the blue. No way around it.  Other than the UTL, did anything else change in your profile? too many recent inquiries etc?

Hmm...I have had some inquiries this year, but nothing extreme? I think 4 or 5 this year. I'm not sure how inquiry sensitive they are, though. The 1st time they cut my limit was soon after I first ran the card up a lot in 2015, and that I can somewhat understand. She kept repeating things like "it's your overall debt profile" and being rather vague.

Yeah, they get jealous when you open credit with other banks.  I will be watching my Arrival + closely.  I just open 7 lines of credit this month...

Edit:  I'm thiking if i should call and close mine.  My AF will be applied un June/2018 and currenly sits at $12.5Kk CL $0 balance.  I guess i'll stop using it and downgrade it in June.  I"m finally at $0 CC debt, so loosing the $12.5 CL won't affect me at all (currently sitting at $145k).

Message 15 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chaos51 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Hello Barclays, meet AJC, not a fan sorry to hear this. They probably see the balance still there after 2 years and want to send you a message that they are in charge. Anyway you might bt the balance away, looks like theyll continue to balance chase you snd close up the account. Id be proactive and close them outSmiley Wink

You know what.. that's exactly what I was thinking.. but I don't have any balance transfer offers right now with any of my other cards, and I am not really sure if or how you can close a credit card that still has a balance. I closed some sub-prime cards I had started my credit out with (hello credit one) many years ago but their balances were all at $0 and that's the only cards I've ever closed. They are really leaving a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. I've never had any creditor act like they have.

@Anonymous there are a lot of people having good luck with the Discover pre-approval page on the website, and they have a nice 14 month offer for some people.

Thanks..but I already have a Discover IT card and they aren't offering me any promotions at the moment on my existing account :-)

Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love that I discovered this community because it sure helps you feel better knowing you aren't being singled out by a creditor at least.

Message 17 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP I am very sorry to see you have being AA'd twice by them.  I am **bleep** glad they don't have a card that would be useful for me.

Message 18 of 46
sjt
Senior Contributor

Have you tried calling an analyst to see if you can get your credit line restored or get some feedback on getting the credit line restored in the future. I think it would be worth a shot and at the very least you would get some data points.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 19 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes OP, try this ^  i've read a few cases where the CL gets restored.

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.