cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Rewards World MasterCard: 3% FTF Or not?

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Barclaycard Rewards World MasterCard: 3% FTF Or not?

Hello guys 

I had a Barclays arrival+ when it first came out then downgraded it to barclaycard Rewards.  2% groceries and gas I believe.  Sock drawer card. 

been looking for as close to cashback MasterCard i can use abroad without having to apply for a new one.  Over the years Barclays hasn't allowed me to change the product  again. 

I've been under the impression that this card does  have a 3% foreign transaction feee but wanted to check. 

The card did get changed to a "world MasterCard" a while back but not sure if the fx fee got dropped.  

Been trying to check this online but the card is not offered anymore so nowhere can I find pricing/features.  

thanks 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Barclaycard Rewards World MasterCard: 3% FTF Or not?

Yes, that card does have a 3% FTF.  I think all of their no-AF cards except for Ring do.

Message 2 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Yes, that card does have a 3% FTF.  I think all of their no-AF cards except for Ring do.

My no-AF Arrival has no FTF. I don't think it's open to new apps or PCs, though.

*No-AF Wyndham has no FTF and is open to new apps...but the redemptions are obviously more complicated.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 13
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

The no AF JetBlue card also has no FTF. Not sure but their cruise line cards may also be FTF free.

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 4 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@GeorgiaBulldog wrote:

The no AF JetBlue card also has no FTF. Not sure but their cruise line cards may also be FTF free.

The cruise cards are no FTF, but you really need to know what you're doing, especially with covid. I've heard cruise enthusiasts describe all the cruise CCs as mediocre.

The timeshare cards and other cards are a mix...some but not all with FTF.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 13
PointLager
Established Contributor

Hi guys. Just wanted to close this loop.   I got the terms mailed to me and this card doesn't have any FTF. Essentially a 1% MasterCard (2% on groceries I believe)

Message 6 of 13
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

I'll add that this card also gets 2% on utilities. I use mine exclusively for water, power, internet, and cell phone payments, and I end up with $50 of Amazon gift cards every few months. Not the best rewards card, but better than a total sock drawer, especially given this is one of my older cards and has a high limit I'd rather not lose. 

Message 7 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah Barclays has a thing about utilities as a bonus category.  My Wyndham card also returns 2x on utilities.

Of course, I'd rather get 2% cash, so I don't use it.

Interesting that Barclays Rewards had no FTF.  Weird that all the Barclays branded cards are gone now.

My ideal foreign travel cash back setup would probably be USBank Altitude Go for 4% dining and PayPal for 2% for everything else (or one of those AOD 3% cards if they weren't impossible to get now).  I don't have either, so from my current lineup it would be Cap1 QS and Savor.  I would like to get the Alt Go and PayPal someday but I'm in no hurry.  It's not like I'm going anywhere anytime soon.

Message 8 of 13
PointLager
Established Contributor

My setup is altitude reserve for foreign non category spend including groceries (post covid travel will be home rentals not motel).  For dining either Amex green or CSR. may close our Amex green TBH. not worth it and I don't care for clear membership.   Other option I'm running is BofA premier rewards 2.625% with having BofA platinum honors status.  I do this for online orders abroad or if they don't have Apple Pay. 

Message 9 of 13
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Got an email stating the redemption of their points is dropping from 2500 to 1000 or $25 to $10.

This card is 2x on three categories: Gas, Grocery and Utilities.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.