cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard no longer does APR Reduction ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclaycard no longer does APR Reduction ?

Greetings All.

So i just called up Barclaycard (Jetblue Mastercard) to try to get a reducation on my APR. When i talked with the customer support she told me that as of the beginning of this year they have suspending APR reduction for any account. Is this legit ? has anyone been able to get APR reduciton from Barclay Card in 2019 ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Barclaycard no longer does APR Reducation ?

Welcome to the forums!! Glad you're hereSmiley Happy

I no longer have Barclays anymore, but several here do, so I'm sure they will pipe in shortly. I just wanted to welcome you Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Barclays APR reductions are hit or miss these days. Typically, you'd have to be transferred to their retentions department to determine whether your account has an offer or is eligible for the APR reduction.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting DP...although the APR shouldn't matter because you shouldn't be carrying a balance Smiley Wink

Just got the Barclays Uber Visa but other than that have no other Barclays experience. My intuition is their APR reductions are probably on a manually reviewed case by case basis. Maybe try calling again and seeing if you get the same answer out of them just to confirm what the first rep said is correct.

Message 4 of 19
SBR249
Established Contributor

This doesn't sound like a sustainable policy. APRs will always fluctuate with economic conditions. Unless Barclays has also suspended APR increases, then it seems unlikely that they would maintain a policy that APRs can only go up in the long term. 

Message 5 of 19
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@SBR249 wrote:

This doesn't sound like a sustainable policy. APRs will always fluctuate with economic conditions. Unless Barclays has also suspended APR increases, then it seems unlikely that they would maintain a policy that APRs can only go up in the long term. 

We are talking about Barclay's here. They will charge 35-40% VAT on your US purchases for using their card if they could just for more profit. There are ways to keep the APR within reason by keeping it flat but it requires not raising it when the percentages go up at first. Also doing that would lose some customers. Anyway I think they might have suspended manual APR  spread adjustments while still allowing the automated systems to do their things with prime changes.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

dtmpatriot one of the posters mentioned calling in again for another CSR ... you could also ask for retention which some one mentioned and see if they would look for an offer. Also, someone mentioned it was Barclays and that says a lot.

Going back to 2016 I obtained a 4% reduction. Several other people on this site have also seen reduced Aprs. Note however, I do not recall any one commenting in the last many months about a reduced Apr. Best wishes as you weigh your options!

Message 7 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@SBR249 wrote:

It's sustainable if the bank wants it to be. They don't have to entertain customer requested APR reductions. Chase doesn't and to my knowledge they never have. The APR you are approved at is what you're stuck with, outside of changes in the Prime rate in either direction. Amex doesn't seem to do permanent reductions much anymore either. Capital One has never really done them. So if Barclay is moving away from it, they wouldn't be the only ones.

I have not seen any recent Barclay APR reductions. Doesn't mean they don't do them, but it sure doesn't seem as common as it used to be.

Message 8 of 19
SBR249
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@SBR249 wrote:

It's sustainable if the bank wants it to be. They don't have to entertain customer requested APR reductions. Chase doesn't and to my knowledge they never have. The APR you are approved at is what you're stuck with, outside of changes in the Prime rate in either direction. Amex doesn't seem to do permanent reductions much anymore either. Capital One has never really done them. So if Barclay is moving away from it, they wouldn't be the only ones.

I have not seen any recent Barclay APR reductions. Doesn't mean they don't do them, but it sure doesn't seem as common as it used to be.

The OP's account wasn't really specific enough as to whether Barclays is suspending APR reductions across the board or case-by-case APR reductions. Certainly in the long term, CC APRs should fluctutate with economic conditions (prime rate for instance) which was what I was commenting on. 

Message 9 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@SBR249 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@SBR249 wrote:

The OP's account wasn't really specific enough as to whether Barclays is suspending APR reductions across the board or case-by-case APR reductions. Certainly in the long term, CC APRs should fluctutate with economic conditions (prime rate for instance) which was what I was commenting on. 

Variable APRs always fluctuate with economic conditions, frequently up but obviously can go down as well.

However, customer requested APR reductions have nothing to do with the natural fluctuation of a variable APR. The bank could easily have a policy of not honoring requested manual APR reductions. It doesn't mean it's not a variable APR, just that it is not adjustable upon request.

In any case, we don't know if Barclay has really changed policy or not, but a bank not honoring customer requested APR reductions isn't unheard of.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.