cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays - 0% BT offers for current card holders?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Barclays - 0% BT offers for current card holders?

I've been looking at my account but the only thing I see for a BT offer is at my current rate of 13.49% with a 3% fee. Are they known to do 0% offers for curent cardholders if they call to ask for it?  This is for my Barclays Reward card. I can contact them to get a 0% financing offer for my Apple Rewards card. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays - 0% BT offers for current card holders?

@masscredit wrote:

I've been looking at my account but the only thing I see for a BT offer is at my current rate of 13.49% with a 3% fee. Are they known to do 0% offers for curent cardholders if they call to ask for it?  This is for my Barclays Reward card. I can contact them to get a 0% financing offer for my Apple Rewards card. 

1. Yes they have better offers, but...

2. DON'T accept ANY of their balance transfer offers. I used to ignore their balance transfer offers; once I accepted a few they closed all 3 of my Barclays accounts.

They are a crazy, low class, out of control, bank.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 10
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

2. DON'T accept ANY of their balance transfer offers. I used to ignore their balance transfer offers; once I accepted a few they closed all 3 of my Barclays accounts.

Did they give you a reason why they closed the accounts? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover sends me snail mail every single day with 0 percent for 18 months and 0 percent transfer fee.  Maybe try them instead. 

Message 4 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

Did they give you a reason why they closed the accounts? 

No. They said something like 'account management'.

How did I manage my accounts? I used them all, paid in full every month, usually paid in full even before the statement cut. Never late.

They are well known for closing accounts for doing balance transfers.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

In my experience, Barclays does periodically offer 0% 12-15 month  BT offers usually with a 3% upfront fee. I used one last year (May 2017) on my Balance Forward MC for $7k - 12 months - 0%. Paid in Full (March '18). I should note that if I do a BT to a card, I do NOT use that card for regular spending until the BT is paid in full.

No issues, no problems, no AA

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all the stories about Barclays I've steered clear form apping with them. But They do seem to offer decent Credit products that appeal to me. Namely the Ring card, which is essentially set up as a BT card. With the low APR and no BT fees. 

Then there's the Uber Visa, which has several enticing reward categories. 

I've been getting mail offers from them for PL's, and most recently the Black Card. Had to really strain to read the fine print to know who this offer was from, wasn't afamiliar with it. No interest though, since it has a $500 AF. 

Message 7 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Offers (or a lack thereof) can vary wildly between two Barclays accounts for no clear reason. When I had both a Sallie Mae and an Arrival, I might concurrently see:

Arrival: 0% for 18 months, 2% BT fee

Sallie Mae: No 0% period, ~18% APR, 3% fee

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 10
wwalter2718
Established Member

I had constant 1%-fee, 14-15-month BT offers on my SallieMae/Commence/Rewards (all the same card 8-)) for 3-4 years or more and took advantage of them perhaps a dozen times, at points reaching as much as 88% of the CL and 6 or 7 separate promo expiration dates.  Then suddenly there was nothing except a current-rate (for me, an ugly 22.something%) with a substantial fee (3%??).  That went on for a few months, and now I have the 1% offers back, but the interest-free period is now only 8-9 months.  Still a good deal, but I'm finished with my BT-shuffling for good (I hope!), so I've just been paying down for several months.

While the card was SallieMae, I used it routinely for groceries and gas (5% cash back, for those who don't remember dear Sallie) while also having active BT balances.  Unlike most other cards, you could avoid interest on purchases as long as you paid at least the minimum due, and that covered all new purchases.  They always applied any extra payments to the first-expiring BT balance, so at least a couple of times, I paid off large amounts, then  transferred them back on for 15 more months.  Also, it's nice that the minimum pmt is only 1% of the total balance, in case of emergency.

All-in-all, Barclay has been very good to me.  I'd pay them back a bit with some routine usage if only their rewards structure hadn't collapsed into dust.  So, the plan is to pay off, pay it *all* off, but then to keep the card in the drawer just in case.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could ditto almost exactly what wwalter has said. Near constant offers on A+ for me and SM/C/R for DH. A few times took almost all CL. I issues. And they tell you exactly what you have to pay if you do use the card with a BT on it. Really simple.

That being said reading here for years it’s definitely a YMMV thing.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.