Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays AA

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays AA

Barclays AA on SallieMae for me I was able to get reinstated but it was a lot of phone and browsing beating me. No CLIs on any of the cards for me, hard pull always decline and never never auto. But they did instant approve me for LL BEAN visa last month.
Message 41 of 159
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear that happen 12. As much as I want to minimize my accounts I so love hearing from all of you on the oppisite spectrum. I appreciate not just the resource you guys provide with data points but can respect your enthusiasm for growth.

@Anonymous wrote:

With as many accounts as OP has, is it very likely that other creditors will pay very much attention to CLDs on three accounts? I wonder.

Is it firmly established that Barclaycard (or any lender) won't report CLDs that happen shortly before accounts are closed?

I know AA can happen for all sorts of reasons, but a few CLDs strike me as less attention-grabbing than aggressive credit seeking.

There's also the possibility that three accounts closed within a very short period of time would look bad to some lenders, even if marked as closed by consumer.

OP, you can also transfer the remaining limits to one card and keep that open.

I get where you coming from but I would be worried that if they have taken this step they may close the accounts with a balance reporting. No matter how low overall utilization is that would be an account at 100% utilization which can really hurt until reported paid.

They may do that but remember, I've already done a BT so it may report for one month closed with balance but that's it.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 42 of 159
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

12njoy, I think you're making the right call to just close the accounts on your terms.  I know it doesn't make a difference, but I never liked seeing "closed by lender" anywhere on my reports either.  I doubt it would come to that (I'd like to think they wouldn't CLD and would just close the account), but even seeing a limit drop might raise other lenders eyebrow.  Look on the bright side you have that TD Aeroplan card I'm super jealous of Smiley Wink

Message 43 of 159
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely not trying to push advice. I've just never had a clear understanding of the whole "closed by borrower beats closed by lender" debate.

Message 44 of 159
Anonymous
Not applicable

@12njoy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear that happen 12. As much as I want to minimize my accounts I so love hearing from all of you on the oppisite spectrum. I appreciate not just the resource you guys provide with data points but can respect your enthusiasm for growth.

@Anonymous wrote:

With as many accounts as OP has, is it very likely that other creditors will pay very much attention to CLDs on three accounts? I wonder.

Is it firmly established that Barclaycard (or any lender) won't report CLDs that happen shortly before accounts are closed?

I know AA can happen for all sorts of reasons, but a few CLDs strike me as less attention-grabbing than aggressive credit seeking.

There's also the possibility that three accounts closed within a very short period of time would look bad to some lenders, even if marked as closed by consumer.

OP, you can also transfer the remaining limits to one card and keep that open.

I get where you coming from but I would be worried that if they have taken this step they may close the accounts with a balance reporting. No matter how low overall utilization is that would be an account at 100% utilization which can really hurt until reported paid.

They may do that but remember, I've already done a BT so it may report for one month closed with balance but that's it.

I can see you have taken all the steps. I know you you and many others here have forgotten more than I know about credit. I was just pointing to a reason why the steps you have done are the best course of action. 

Message 45 of 159
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely not trying to push advice. I've just never had a clear understanding of the whole "closed by borrower beats closed by lender" debate.

I have to agree. There are several voodoo mottos going around about credit. The difference between who closed the card? is one of them. And I don't think it makes any difference at all.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 46 of 159
redpat
Senior Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
Barclays AA on SallieMae for me I was able to get reinstated but it was a lot of phone and browsing beating me. No CLIs on any of the cards for me, hard pull always decline and never never auto. But they did instant approve me for LL BEAN visa last month.

I'm really confused now, they AA you and made you beg for reinstatement and you got another card with them.

Why?  It's not that great of a card vs what you currently have.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 47 of 159
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's possible that may make a difference on a manual review of a credit application down the line

___________ 12Njoy
Message 48 of 159
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to agree. There are several voodoo mottos going around about credit. The difference between who closed the card? is one of them. And I don't think it makes any difference at all.

Thanks for your info I have two questions if you don't mind. When your accounts were closed with a balamce reporting did they slash your limit to the amout you owed or did it list closed with original limit? Do they update the balance on the account like it was opened or does it show balance at closure?

Message 49 of 159
12njoy
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

12njoy, I think you're making the right call to just close the accounts on your terms.  I know it doesn't make a difference, but I never liked seeing "closed by lender" anywhere on my reports either.  I doubt it would come to that (I'd like to think they wouldn't CLD and would just close the account), but even seeing a limit drop might raise other lenders eyebrow.  Look on the bright side you have that TD Aeroplan card I'm super jealous of Smiley Wink

Thanks B335.  It seems that anytime I post something, it turns into a great debate.  I respect everyone's opinion but in the end we make our own decisions.  You know that TD Aeroplan was some kind of fluke which I'll never understand how that happened.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 50 of 159
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.