Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays: Actually Good Cust Service w/ Fraud

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Barclays: Actually Good Cust Service w/ Fraud

So I got an email and text in the dead of night last night regarding a questionable charge on my Uber Visa. Turns out it was one of about 1/2 dozen fraudulent charges so they caught 1 of 6. BUT they caught something so works for me.

I called and got a US based customer service rep (big win in my eyes) who was very helpful and even gave me some info regarding one of the charges of which I was curious (I have an invstigative nature).

I know a lot of people, myself included, has poo poo'ed Barclays for lack of customer service so wanted to spread some positive news.

Happy Holidays folks!

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays: Actually Good Cust Service w/ Fraud

@CBartowski wrote:

So I got an email and text in the dead of night last night regarding a questionable charge on my Uber Visa. Turns out it was one of about 1/2 dozen fraudulent charges so they caught 1 of 6. BUT they caught something so works for me.

I called and got a US based customer service rep (big win in my eyes) who was very helpful and even gave me some info regarding one of the charges of which I was curious (I have an invstigative nature).

I know a lot of people, myself included, has poo poo'ed Barclays for lack of customer service so wanted to spread some positive news.

Happy Holidays folks!

Glad they caught it. Hopefully all will be resolved quickly.

If you haven’t done it, you can get Visa purchase alerts from Visa. It will alert when charge is made. Instead of when one posts. Which is the one frustrating thing with Barclays alerts.

Message 2 of 8
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Well this is one of those great but really sucks incidents at the same time..

I'm glad they caught something and you're working it out but it's rotten, rotten, rotten that it happened in the first place..

Good Luck! Hope it all turns out.

Merry Christmas  christmas-smiley-052.gifXmasspindreidel.gif

Message 3 of 8
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Well this is one of those great but really sucks incidents at the same time..

I'm glad they caught something and you're working it out but it's rotten, rotten, rotten that it happened in the first place..

Good Luck! Hope it all turns out.

Merry Christmas  christmas-smiley-052.gifXmasspindreidel.gif

Yea but this is one reason why I use CCs anyway, just claim the fraud to the CC company/bank and literally zero liability. In a world where fraud and theft is everywhere at all times, its super easy to just have the CC company/bank eat it and get a new card.

CARDS:
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
Message 4 of 8
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

@CBartowski wrote:

Happy Holidays folks!

Glad they caught it. Hopefully all will be resolved quickly.

If you haven’t done it, you can get Visa purchase alerts from Visa. It will alert when charge is made. Instead of when one posts. Which is the one frustrating thing with Barclays alerts.

That's a good tip! Thanks, I have a few Visas.

CARDS:

BANKS:
Message 5 of 8
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

My experience (just once) with Bardlays fraud detection department was great. Was in one state when someone in another state tried to buy $200 worth of groceries from Publix (yes please, i’ll take a Publix sub while you’re using my card - Boars Head since you’re a big spender).

What irritates me with Barclays is that their purchase alert emails are not instant, like Citi and Chase. With the latter two, I receive a purchase alert email before leaving the store. With Barclays, it takes 24-48 hours. A lot of damage can be done in two days. With Chase and Citi, I can lock my card the moment I receive an email with a sketchy purchase.

Message 6 of 8
SBR249
Established Contributor

@MAZDA3 wrote:

My experience (just once) with Bardlays fraud detection department was great. Was in one state when someone in another state tried to buy $200 worth of groceries from Publix (yes please, i’ll take a Publix sub while you’re using my card - Boars Head since you’re a big spender).

What irritates me with Barclays is that their purchase alert emails are not instant, like Citi and Chase. With the latter two, I receive a purchase alert email before leaving the store. With Barclays, it takes 24-48 hours. A lot of damage can be done in two days. With Chase and Citi, I can lock my card the moment I receive an email with a sketchy purchase.

As mentioned above, enable Visa purchasing alerts if available. It will email you any time someone runs your enrolled CC even if it was just for a hold pre-authorization. I was staying at a hotel recently that was paid for by a corporate account but they asked for a CC for incidentals. The minute they ran my Uber Visa I got an email notification from Visa as I was standing there, literally before I could even tuck my card back in my wallet. I got another email when I checked out when they mistakenly ran another charge on the card. I was able to ask about it right then and there and get everything sorted and documented before I left. Dead useful those alerts. 

Message 7 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yep. I love the alerts, especially for restaurant tabs. And, like you said, it’s instant. I also have mine set pretty low @ $5.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.