cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays American Airlines Aviator Credit Card Changes (Updated)

tag
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Barclays American Airlines Aviator Credit Card Changes (Updated)

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-american-airlines-aviator-credit-card-changes-10-rebate-bein...

Aviator Silver 

The annual fee on this card is increasing from $195 to $199. The following benefits are being added:

• Anniversary companion certificate. Get a companion certificate for 2 guests for $99 (plus taxes and fees) after account anniversary & $20,000 in spend within the previous card member year. This is not a new benefit, but the spend requirement has been reduced from $30,000 to $20,000.
  • WiFi Credit. Up to $50 statement credit on American Airlines in flight WiFi purchases each card member year
  • Up to $25 daily statement credit for in-flight food and beverage purchases on American Airlines operated flights. (This replaces the current benefit of 25% back).

The following benefits are being removed:

• 10% rebate on miles redeemed up to 10,000 miles per calendar year. 

Aviator Red

The annual fee on this card will increase to $99 (up from $95). This card will have the following benefits added:

• Anniversary companion certificate. Get a companion certificate for 1 guest for $99 (plus taxes and fees) after account anniversary & $20,000 in spend within the previous card member year.
  • WiFi Credit. Up To $25 statement credit on American Airlines in flight WiFi purchases each card member year
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays American Airlines Aviator Credit Card Changes (Updated)

That’s all that a room full of overpaid Barclays VPs could come up with?
Message 2 of 12
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Yeah, definitely a bit lackluster. The removal of the 10% rebate certainly stings.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing too great about this, but one thing is interesting, the daily $25 credit for food and drinks on AA flights. If you fly 4 times round trip on AA and use the credit each time, that will cancel out the annual fee. For me, I've flown on AA 14 times last year so this has peaked my interest. 

Message 4 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I saw this yesterday as well. Interesting changes, the Red card seems to have gotten worse while the Silver seems to have gotten slightly better. It's still more geared for those that use AA a lot.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The $25 credit seems to be the only noteworthy perk, especially for those who fly solo and do not put $20K on one card. 

Considering the cost of airline food it coud offset the AF alone in one trip.

Agreed abot the Red. I don't use wifi while in the air, so that credit is useless to me.

Message 6 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

The Citi version got the nerf as well if I read the updated DOC article correctly, so not just the Barclay's version, but Citi as well from my understanding

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I hadn't recieved an email about any changes. Maybe they'll mail it. I've been getting changes to Amex terms all week though. lol

TBH, I can't imagine what they could do to devalue the Citi version. They just increased teh point earning in a category few months back.

It would be nice if they gave you a specific dollar amount instead of 25% on food. 

I havent logged in  to check, but on their CC page it looks like trip cancellation & interruption has been removed. As well as a couple other benefits.

Message 8 of 12
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I have the Red and overalll not a fan of the change. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 9 of 12
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

I have the Red and overalll not a fan of the change. 

I wouldn’t be either. The 10% rebate was the only real reason this card was worth having. 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.