Barclays Arrival Premier Rumor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Arrival Premier Rumor

@wasCB14wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

With an alleged $15k minimum spend, it looks like this might be a new ~$500 AF card.

I wouldn't hold my breath with that one. 

Barclays coming out with a $500 a year card is like Capital One doing the same thing... Not going to happen. I'll put my money on $150/year max. 

If Barclays somehow gets AA as a transfer partner, people will begin to look at Citi and question why they weren't able to do that years ago. 

Actually it's been happening since 2008 via the occasionally-rebranded Black/Luxury card (once V, currently MC). They even now have a $995 Gold version.

I'm not even sure why they offer those cards anymore. Nobody carries one around. 

Message 11 of 111
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

With an alleged $15k minimum spend, it looks like this might be a new ~$500 AF card.

I wouldn't hold my breath with that one. 

Barclays coming out with a $500 a year card is like Capital One doing the same thing... Not going to happen. I'll put my money on $150/year max. 

If Barclays somehow gets AA as a transfer partner, people will begin to look at Citi and question why they weren't able to do that years ago. 

Actually it's been happening since 2008 via the occasionally-rebranded Black/Luxury card (once V, currently MC). They even now have a $995 Gold version.

I'm not even sure why they offer those cards anymore. Nobody carries one around. 

Pretty sure that some people do!

Message 12 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd be surprised how many people even on this forum who you'd think are credit card savy are quick to defend the luxury cards and their "benefits".
Message 13 of 111
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

It can be rational to go for high margins and accept a low market share. Why waste money providing expensive benefits and perks when they'll be outclassed by other issuers? People who don't know better (or really like the bling aspect) are way more profitable.

Some people are able to get the fee waived consistently. With no AF, it becomes a decent card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 111
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14wrote:

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

It can be rational to go for high margins and accept a low market share. Why waste money providing expensive benefits and perks when they'll be outclassed by other issuers? People who don't know better (or really like the bling aspect) are way more profitable.

Some people are able to get the fee waived consistently. With no AF, it becomes a decent card.

Right, I think some of the cardholders here were active military and so had the fee waived (although I thought I read that some issuers including Barclays were tightening the rules)

Message 15 of 111
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Right, I think some of the cardholders here were active military and so had the fee waived (although I thought I read that some issuers including Barclays were tightening the rules)

I think I did read that they were eliminating the SCRA waiver, but I was talking more about people just calling in repeatedly...poking and prodding to see what they could get from some CSR who didn't know better.

Message 16 of 111
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14wrote:

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

I think I did read that they were eliminating the SCRA waiver, but I was talking more about people just calling in repeatedly...poking and prodding to see what they could get from some CSR who didn't know better.

My best friend has the titanium card and is a high earning individual.. I have no clue why he went for it as he has a huge limit CSR among another large limit DC card and believe one other.. For some reason he has called the last two years to cancel it and without him even asking they have waived the AF and he only puts about 1k a month on it..  Not sure if it is the 840+ credit scores or they hope to see some of his income coming their way w/regards to swipes.  

Message 17 of 111
redpat
Senior Contributor

Frequent miler confirmed transfer partners and it may include AA.  If this does and there a reward categories like 3x or 2x and annual spend bonuses then I may have to say bye, bye CSR.  AA is my airline and that would force me to change things up.  

I have to say getting AA as a transfer partner could be a game changer for Barclay

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 18 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpatwrote:

Frequent miler confirmed transfer partners and it may include AA.  If this does and there a reward categories like 3x or 2x and annual spend bonuses then I may have to say bye, bye CSR.  AA is my airline and that would force me to change things up.  

I have to say getting AA as a transfer partner could be a game changer for Barclay

I would have to say it's a game changer for Citi, as once again, they will look like the stupid bank of the big four -- not that they don't do that in every other area (customer service, an unpolished website, rolling back customer perks, and having a not-so-smart CEO). 

Message 19 of 111
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Assuming all the speculation and leaks of thus far have been correct...

...have any of these bloggers' sources actually said all the transfers will be 1:1?

1 point : 1 AA mile is very different than 2 points : 1 AA mile, and an earn rate of 2.1 + 1 = 3.1x AA miles (assuming you spend exactly $15k or $25k) is a little hard to believe.

Message 20 of 111
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.