Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Arrival downgrade to no-AF?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Barclays Arrival downgrade to no-AF?

I am interested in the Barclays Arrival, mostly for the sign-up bonus.   I did just call Barclays and was told that they are not doing downgrades from the standard Arrival to the No-AF Arrival.  If I was going to apply for the Arrival for the sign-up bonus, I would have to close it before the AF hits and then re-apply for the no-AF version.

I am not sure if I want to open two new accounts at a 1 year interval just for the purpose of obtaining the card I want (no-AF) along with a great sign-up bonus.  So I am thinking about just taking the 20,000 points and starting out with the no-AF card, which works best for my spending as it gives me a new card to use at restaurants with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee.

Does anybody have experience doing a Barclays downgrade in a similar situation?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclays Arrival downgrade to no-AF?

Interesting...that's the first I've heard of that.  I have the Arrival too and also plan to downgrade after the first year.  If they won't let me do that, I may just close it :-/

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 2 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

isoldmyatlas wrote:

Interesting...that's the first I've heard of that.  I have the Arrival too and also plan to downgrade after the first year.  If they won't let me do that, I may just close it :-/

I specifically told them exactly what I wanted to do and they told me that I could avoid the annual fee by closing before 1 year, and could then reapply for another card if I wanted, but that they would not downgrade.  It may have just been the CSR I talked to, but he put me on hold while he asked his supervisors and came back with this answer.  I think you might still be able to PC, but I think it might take a little bit of working and possibly talking to the right people.  For me, it probably isn't worth the trouble, but since you already have the card, it can't hurt to try. 

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

This would make sense, otherwise everyone would just app for the sign up bonus one, then upgrade when the fee is due.  

Message 4 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

This would make sense, otherwise everyone would just app for the sign up bonus one, then upgrade when the fee is due.  

Well, I am sure some people would take the annual fee for the 2x rewards on everything.   The no-AF card is only 2x on restaurants and travel.  I really just want this as a no-AF dining card and have other cards to use for other spending.  But yes, everyone who had a similar spending plan would try for the signup bonus first and then attempt to PC..... which does not seem like an easy option at this time. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Well, I am sure some people would take the annual fee for the 2x rewards on everything.   The no-AF card is only 2x on restaurants and travel.  I really just want this as a no-AF dining card and have other cards to use for other spending.  But yes, everyone who had a similar spending plan would try for the signup bonus first and then attempt to PC..... which does not seem like an easy option at this time. Smiley Wink

Yeah, I had app'ed for the Arrival on the premise that it would be an easy PC version to the no fee one for 2X dining/travel and no forex, but starting to hear where Barclay, unlike Chase or Amex, is extremely resistant to the downgrade.

If you can't PC, are you going to keep it?  I'm just going to close it, of course.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I haven't applied for it yet.  I think I am going to apply for the no-AF version and keep it as I have been looking for a no-AF card to apply to all of my international dining.

Message 7 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

This is unfortunate to hear... I was going to try to PC.

I wonder if PCing to a different Barclays card is easier than just downgrading to the No-AF Arrival...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 14
mxp114
Valued Contributor

The earliest this scenario can play out is December and while frontline reps may not, I'm sure the retention dept will attempt to save by downgrading the product. The Barclaycard marketing dept is probably drafting save offers as we speak in preparation for this situation.

Message 9 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

The earliest this scenario can play out is December and while frontline reps may not, I'm sure the retention dept will attempt to save by downgrading the product. The Barclaycard marketing dept is probably drafting save offers as we speak in preparation for this situation.

I am not saying that a PC is impossible.  I just think it will take more effort than you are expecting.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.