Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays CLD

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays CLD

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm guessing they didn't like something-but maybe it was for non use. I have not used it in about 90 days or so. It is my last go to card.
Either way I think it is sh;//y they treat their customers this way, especially ones that never have done anything wrong in the slightest.
Still is making me angry thinking about it. I don't care that I am "losing" a card because it is my choice. I could easily keep it open and maybe in 6 mo get it back. But it is the principle of it.
Guess I'll wait and see what the letter and the message center reply says.

Thx all for the posts. Nice to know this is not very rare and that I did the right thing by closing it. Eff em.

I would close the card also.  Definitely more bothersome to keep a $500 card in the drawer.... until the time come, I'll just check my account every few days to stay ahead of the max factor.  

congrats on putting them out to the curb.

Message 21 of 62
sjt
Senior Contributor

All Barclay card's adverse action is done by their computer system. So the thing to do is call their Portfolio Department to review your account. A lot of the time they are able to overturn the AA.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 22 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx AveJoe....Elim..... everyone.

@sjt.... I hear you but if it is their computer system they need a new one. If I was running a business and found my computer system was screwing all my good customers I would get a diff one. For 24 hours or so I have been reading. Not just on here or CB but all over he internet... it is happening and it is rare you find one where the consumer did something that justified it.
Message 23 of 62
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Checked my account right now. Open 6 mo, SL $2k. Now it is $500.

Guess they didn't like my Amex, Chase, and US Bank card approvals.

I wrote them and told them to reconsider or close my account. Ridiculous. I have a FICO of over 125 higher than it was at approval. I have always PIF. I have no negatives. I never use the card so maybe that's it. Not even that upset because as I said I don't use it. But it is the principle that pisses me off. Way to reward your customers for improving their credit and establishing good history with your company.

No thanks.

That's a standard operating procedure for Barclays. They did that to me on my Apple Visa and then raised it a few months later.

Message 24 of 62
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

One may be able to call and get it fixed but what if it happens again. Id prefer reliabilty over unknowns, even if i had a low limit, its better to have confidence in your card being stable than not knowing if they are going to aa your account on any given SundaySmiley Wink
Message 25 of 62
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thx AveJoe....Elim..... everyone.

@sjt.... I hear you but if it is their computer system they need a new one. If I was running a business and found my computer system was screwing all my good customers I would get a diff one. For 24 hours or so I have been reading. Not just on here or CB but all over he internet... it is happening and it is rare you find one where the consumer did something that justified it.

I hear ya too!

Barclay's computer system looks for a pattern behavior of cardholder's accounts and CR that they believe are risky based on their historical data of their cardholders. The problem is that it's too broad and a lot of good customers get caught in the "crossfire." It seems like they focus on rebuilder and new accounts.

The best thing to do is to speak with someone in their Portfolio Department to get the AA overturned. If that doesn't work write them. Barclay's need to know that their computer system is flawed.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 26 of 62
elim
Senior Contributor

The computer systems were created on human algorithms.

Barclay knows what it wants and zero profit and/or too much risk seems to = CLD.

Message 27 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly @AvgJoe.....
every time I want to use it am I going to have to log in to make sure it will get approved or risk getting a denial at the register and being embarrassed? Much prefer a lower limIt and dependability than a higher one and not being sure about it working. (Or worse if I had a balance on it I'd be highly utilized and would tank my score)
Message 28 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim... that's me for sure. They have not made a penny on me cuz I PIF and even at that I rarely used them. I did when I got the card but haven't for months. I think I have 57 points. Lol. That means I have used it for $57 total besides my original BT which I paid off the first month.
Message 29 of 62
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

I don't have Barclays because I always hear terrible things about them on the forums, also hear terrible things about them from people in real life, and am not especially interested in any of their products. Definitely though, what stands out to me is that most CC companies seem to have both people that love and hate them. You may hear a lot of people annoyed with Chase for instance, but you'll hear a lot of good comments too. With Barclays, all I ever hear is how awful they are. At best I'll hear people say something like, 'they're okay' or 'I haven't personally had a problem' but I never come across 'Ra! Ra! Barclays!' type people like I see with other companies.

So yeah, I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. It probably is the other approvals. From what I hear, Barclays very much wants to be your only/main card...which seems like such an unattainable goal considering their lukewarm products. Smiley Very Happy

MyFICO and what you hear IRL are both biased samples.  

IRL, most people aren't into credit, so unlikely to praise any credit company.  But human nature is to complain if something goes wrong, and not praise when something goes as expected.  So I'm sure there are people whom you know who have a Barclays card who never even mention it.  

MyFICO is biased towards rebuilders and the credit obsessive.  Barclay's has definitely shown a pattern through AA's that they are very risk adverse and particularly sensitive to aggressive credit seeking.  Well, aggressive credit seeking on thin files is your typical MyFICOer, so there is a disproportionate reporting and bandwagoning on the "Barclays is terrible" type threads.

Realistically, Barclays wouldn't survive is they were AAing a large percentage of their customers, right?

I'm not much of a "Ra! Ra!" person, credit is a business relationship for me, so I don't love any company, but I do appreciate the benefits.

Here is my positive Barclays story:

I started out with an $800 approval on the Arrival 3 years ago.  At that time I had a thin file, with only one cc w a $320 CL and a few very old lates on installments.  Now three years later I have $30K in credit w Barclays, with continued auto and SP CLI's.  I have done some aggressive credit seeking.  I now have over 20+ cc's and $300K+ total CL's.  I have also taken several of their 1% balance transfers.  But those "risky" behaviors are balanced out by a otherwise strong profile, with multiple mortgages, auto installments, and a (now) all positive file stretching back 20+ yrs.  

Message 30 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.