Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays CLD

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Barclays CLD

Well id say anyone who is rebuilding would be considered a risk so why even give cards out to us then. If you had a bk or as such whats to say you wont go that route again. I had a bk 7 so i know im considered a risk whether its on my report or not. I just dont like that no profit / high risk excuse by them. Dont give cards out to those of us who arent profitable. I realize this is how there computers are probably set up but its just craziness i guess.
Message 31 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sillykitty... that's great but I have 10 years history, 2 mortgages perfect history... 2 auto loans... a 6 figure income... and $50k in other cards. I don't have many cards but I use the ones I do have... (except 2)
I have a 760+ score on TU and no negatives.

They want to close me for opening an Amex and USBank card in 3 months?

Am I rebuilding? Idk. Maybe I still am. But all my reports are clean and all my reports have at least 5 years of history, TU more....and they all have only good things on them.

I just find it odd. You are a Prime example of what Barclays doesnt like .... you have 300k in available credit, and Barclays has told me multiple times "you have plenty of credit with others".... as if that is a bad thing.

Also... just because this hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it won't and doesn't mean this is the norm. I have read plenty of stories not just on credit sites... but redit and quora and Twitter... and this happens a lot with Barclays... for many stupid reasons.

Shut people down if they mess up. Shut them down if they lie about income. Shut them down if they do sketchy things. But don't shut them down for demonstrating good credit behaviors and keeping their accounts in perfect history-or because they PIF and use them rewards they offer. Not a good business practice.

But I do seriously wish you luck with them. I hope they never do it to you. Luckily I don't need or want them and had a zero balance. You obviously won't either if they do it.
Message 32 of 62
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I wrote them and told them to reconsider or close my account. Ridiculous. I have a FICO of over 125 higher than it was at approval. I have always PIF. I have no negatives. I never use the card so maybe that's it. Not even that upset because as I said I don't use it. But it is the principle that pisses me off. Way to reward your customers for improving their credit and establishing good history with your company.

No thanks.

I sympathize with you, and I have no Barclays card, but from their perspective, it could be a matter of principle too. The principle that if you don't use the card, you must not really need it, and they would like to give that available credit to someone else. I don't think banks have an unlimited credit available they can give overall to all customers combined.

Message 33 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never heard of a card shutting someone down for using it once a quarter. I used it lots when i got it. It hasn't had non use for more than I would say 2-3 months. Besides I've spend so much time this day readying literally like 75-109 stories of this and it was never for non use. If that's the case I'll report back, but I would be surprised.
Message 34 of 62
Sexyblue
Contributor

Barclay (Apple Visa) cut my line from $3000 to $1800 after I made a large payment. However, I called in inquired about it and was transferred to the portfolio department. Once there the lady was very nice she asked me about income, which had not changed and then stated that my limit was restored.

I asked her for CLI, that is when I found out that I was speaking to the portfolio department.  She stated that they do not handle CLI’s, only  That was 2 years ago – they haven’t touched my limit since.

TU 660,EX 679, EQ 673,
DiscoverIT19,500 | Barney's NY,16000 | Jcrew, 8000 | Macy'sRed,12000 | Bloomingdales,9000 | Elan Visa, 5000|
P.C Richards ,4000 | Amazon, 3000 | Barclays, 3000 WalmartMC, 3000 | Target, 3400| Brooks Brothers 1,400
CAP1, 1250 | BOA,1000 | BestBuy, 1000 | American Airlines, 1300|
Message 35 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I wrote them and told them to reconsider or close my account. Ridiculous. I have a FICO of over 125 higher than it was at approval. I have always PIF. I have no negatives. I never use the card so maybe that's it. Not even that upset because as I said I don't use it. But it is the principle that pisses me off. Way to reward your customers for improving their credit and establishing good history with your company.

No thanks.

I sympathize with you, and I have no Barclays card, but from their perspective, it could be a matter of principle too. The principle that if you don't use the card, you must not really need it, and they would like to give that available credit to someone else. I don't think banks have an unlimited credit available they can give overall to all customers combined.

Yes.  Why would they "reward" you for improving your credit unless that improvement is a benefit to them?    At each review, the question is whether your potential profit exceeds the risk/cost or, as yfan says, another customer would be preferable to them.

Message 36 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

I don't have Barclays because I always hear terrible things about them on the forums, also hear terrible things about them from people in real life, and am not especially interested in any of their products. Definitely though, what stands out to me is that most CC companies seem to have both people that love and hate them. You may hear a lot of people annoyed with Chase for instance, but you'll hear a lot of good comments too. With Barclays, all I ever hear is how awful they are. At best I'll hear people say something like, 'they're okay' or 'I haven't personally had a problem' but I never come across 'Ra! Ra! Barclays!' type people like I see with other companies.

So yeah, I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. It probably is the other approvals. From what I hear, Barclays very much wants to be your only/main card...which seems like such an unattainable goal considering their lukewarm products. Smiley Very Happy

Well, there has been LOTS of love at varous times for the Sallie Mae, and some for the Ring (and even some for the Arrival +).  Rebuilders were also positive about the Rewards card (2% on utiltities when 2% cards were rare).   So it was for the specific cards rather than directly for the bank, but they did get some love.

Message 37 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened, OP. I would be upset too if I were you.

In terms of view toward the larger and more comprehensive picture, we are seeing more situations on the board recently overall of different creditors lowering limits either due to non-use or to low usage. It may continue with different lenders as we see how this plays out.

Message 38 of 62
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

I feel your pain OP.

Barclay's CLD'd me back in May of 2016. I've since paid off the balance on their card, and I'm going to close it in April, when the line is 2 years old. 

Message 39 of 62
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

(2) years was just about my history of terms with them. Got out before they got to me too.

I just want to add one thing for those who say ALL lenders do and are doing things like Barclays.

No they aren't. Yes, each Lender does have their own respective thresholds and can and will modify ON OCCASION to their own standards.

However Barclays is well KNOWN and proven to far exceed the rest of industry IMO when it comes to such actions and is why they have 100% safely cemented their position SOLID for such drastic actions as well as esteblished themselves within these forums for those same top honors.

Message 40 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.