cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays: Closing accounts after new accounts, poll!

tag
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclays: Closing accounts after new accounts, poll!

I hope I don't jinx myself...

I opened an Apple financing card in April 2012 but ended up not getting a computer.  I opened up a USAir credit card in May 2012.  In June, I called to see if I could close the Apple card and roll over the CL onto the USAir card, which they did.  Since opening the USAir card, I have opened up 10 other accounts.  I use the USAir card frequently and normally paid in full each month, although I will probably have to leave a small balance on it this month because I used the card for some unexpected traveling expenses.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 11 of 30
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

I hope I don't jinx myself...

I opened an Apple financing card in April 2012 but ended up not getting a computer.  I opened up a USAir credit card in May 2012.  In June, I called to see if I could close the Apple card and roll over the CL onto the USAir card, which they did.  Since opening the USAir card, I have opened up 10 other accounts.  I use the USAir card frequently and normally paid in full each month, although I will probably have to leave a small balance on it this month because I used the card for some unexpected traveling expenses.

That's the reason I opened the thread:  "Barclays, you there?  Got someone who opened Apple in April 2012, US Air May 2012, rolled the CL in June.  Yeah, that's right $4900.  Oh, a $1000 on Rewards.  Got it?  OK, so you'll close right now, great.   Don't forget to send me the $100!"

Message 12 of 30
toppers555
Established Contributor

I'll make a post when I get letter from Barlclay , but my CL was decline due to reason to many inquries on file.  I had less then I had when I appiled for the card. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 13 of 30
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

I'll make a post when I get letter from Barlclay , but my CL was decline due to reason to many inquries on file.  I had less then I had when I appiled for the card. 

Thanks, trying to recall, you applied for a CLI, and then they closed your card, right?

Message 14 of 30
toppers555
Established Contributor

right, only other think I coud think of that might be a possible reason is that transunion recently started listing reason code loans balance to loans amount is to high after last round of student loans, but DTI is still under 20%.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 15 of 30
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I have an Apple Visa and a Barnes & Noble MasterCard. I'm using the Apple Visa to take advantage of 0% on an iPad mini. I pay the mastercard in full every month. I have had both cards for about 3 months, and no problems so far. I don't plan on any new cards for a while. I do plan on buying a new car but plan on putting it off until 2014 hopefully. 

Message 16 of 30
OwNt
New Contributor

I applied for a card from Barclays about 8 months ago and opened 3 additional cards in the following two months.

I saw a lot of AR soft pulls from them, but no AA. I received a 5k CLI after my last statement, raising the total CL to 20k.

~~Credit Cards~~
Alliant Platinum Rewards Visa, AmEx BCP, BofA Power Rewards, Bank of the West Platinum, Barclay Rewards World MC, Chase Freedom/Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thank You Preferred/Citi Dividend Select, Discover IT, FNBOmaha, Paypal MC, US Bank Cash+/US Bank Perks+.

Total: $300,000+ in lines.
Message 17 of 30
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Just trying to get some numbers here as there seems to be a lot of disagreement!    So, please respond if you have ever held a credit card issued by Barclays (US ones).

1) Is the card still open?  Yes...for now Smiley Surprised

a) How long have you had?  Opened in Sept 2012

b) Do you open other accounts after getting the card?  If so, how many and how soon. Yes, 4 accounts were opened the day before app with Barclay's, 2 inq on TU and 2 on EQ.  So they did see those two inquiries and of course the new accounts were NOT reporting yet.  I have opened 7 accounts after them and they have been doing A/R but no sign of AA yet.  Oh and two of those 7 accounts are not reporting yet which are Discover and NFCU.  I have a $2K CL with Barclays and I charge about $700 monthly and PIF before the statement cuts.  My util has never gone beyond 16% of my total CL's.  This is quite a bit of activity for Barclay so we shall see if I escape the chop or not. 

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 18 of 30
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Just trying to get some numbers here as there seems to be a lot of disagreement!    So, please respond if you have ever held a credit card issued by Barclays (US ones).

1) Is the card still open?  Yes,

a) How long have you had?  Opened in Nov 2012

b) Do you open other accounts after getting the card?  If so, how many and how soon. Yes, 1 AMEX that triple pulled.  Coincidentally Barclays SP'd EX at day 30, same day I apped for AMEX.  50/50 they saw it.  

Message 19 of 30
Karunch
Contributor

I have a Barclays iTunes Visa that was opened in July 2011, and it's still open to this day.  I was originally denied for the card because they said that I had to too many inquiries, but I had been car shopping so there were like 8 inquiries from that.  After recon I was approved for $2,000.  Since that time my CL went from $2,000 to $3,450 to $5,410 and is now $10,000. 

Since getting the iTunes account I've opened 6 new accounts: Walmart (9/11), Old Navy (9/11 but I've since closed this ON account), NFCU NavChek (11/11), PayPal SC (11/11), NFCU Platinum MC (3/12), and local CU MC (7/12). 

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.