cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays NFL $400 for $1000 back? - Approved yay!

tag
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Barclays NFL $400 for $1000 back? - Approved yay!

I've seen one thread here and a couple of links on google mentioning that this deal is back... Has anyone else heard anything about it being revived?

I've got a few questions about it and am looking for opinions on whether I should go for it.  (Several of which came from reading the past thread lol)

1.  Buried in the middle of the T&C of one of the recent application links I found was the line "The information contained in these disclosures is accurate as of 9/14/2012 and may change after this date."  Should that be cause for concern about the $400 deal?

2.  Another section in the T&C also made it seem like balance transfers counted towards the $1000 spending requirement, unless I misunderstood... Did anyone from the prior deal take advantage of the $1000 spend as a BT and could the credit then be applied towards the BT balance?  The thread from the last time this deal ran had some hypothesizing in it that the credit might not apply towards the BT balance since it technically isn't a "purchase".

3.  I also saw some confusing things in that thread about breaking down the spending into smaller increments, is that just if you're planning to PIF and not carry a balance to avoid interest?

Now, what do you think my chances are?  It's really tempting (if I could get approved, especially for $1000+) but I'm not sure if I would or not.  TU looks something like this (last report was in September):

3 inquiries (all 6+ months old now)

AAoA of 3 years

5 new accounts in 2012 (all 6+ months old now)

Score 703

Util 18% or less

3 old derogs due to fall off in 2013/2014 (One paid CO, two unpaid collections)

I was previously considering apping for the Apple card in late November to pick up some gifts for family, but if I got approved for this with $1000+ I could use this card and even with the highest interest terms and a much slower pay off rate than I'd actually schedule, the benefits of the $400 statement credit would outweigh the benefits of the no interest promo from the Apple card.

Even if the limit was under $1000, I could spend a few hundred and then do BTs until I hit $1000 if I needed to and then respond to my FNBO pre-approval to take advantage of their 0% intro rate for the Apple purchase if needed closer to the holidays.

Also, I'm tempted to have DF try for this card.  His TU is 700+ and the only derog is a late payment 2+ years ago showing on Capital One that he's been trying to get rid of off and on for the past year with no luck.  (We're not even sure he was late since all his payments are auto drafted, but I suppose it's possible because of issues with his previous employer bouncing their payroll checks.)  I think he's opened two new accounts in the past year, but they may show as installment as opposed to revolving (not sure).

The big concern with him apping is that he may be shopping for an auto loan in the next few months, and I know Barclays can be spazzy about inquiries, so I'm not sure how they'd react to that.

Thanks!

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays NFL $400 for $1000 back?

Very tempting offer!
Message 2 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If the card makes sense, and the deal is there, and ultimately if you want the card for use, then I'd take the offer.

Barclays is a little awkward compared to some other lenders, but I'd be utterly shocked if they worried about a new car loan, that's just not in the same category as applying for other credit cards when it comes to both their risk calculation and their jilted significant other syndrome they seemingly display with regularity.

Edit: I have absolutey zero information on the underwriting of this card.  If it's the same tier as the Apple card you could almost certainly get it, but I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.  Just saying though with the NFL being a media company, it's likely they'd want to get these cards in the hands of as many people as possible, so I would be pretty surprised if it weren't fairly easy to obtain.

        
Message 3 of 25
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

If the card makes sense, and the deal is there, and ultimately if you want the card for use, then I'd take the offer.

Barclays is a little awkward compared to some other lenders, but I'd be utterly shocked if they worried about a new car loan, that's just not in the same category as applying for other credit cards when it comes to both their risk calculation and their jilted significant other syndrome they seemingly display with regularity.

Edit: I have absolutey zero information on the underwriting of this card.  If it's the same tier as the Apple card you could almost certainly get it, but I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.  Just saying though with the NFL being a media company, it's likely they'd want to get these cards in the hands of as many people as possible, so I would be pretty surprised if it weren't fairly easy to obtain.

It's so tempting... I have no idea where it stands in comparison to the Apple card either.  I read through the whole original NFL deal thread and didn't find as many approval posts as I'd thought, but there seemed to be more general discussion in that thread then talk of even applying lol

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
Message 4 of 25
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I agree that it is tempting.  I would love to get my hands on such a lucrative bonus offer, but my approval chances are undetermined at this time AND given my planned January app spree, I'm not sure that this card would be helpful in the short term.

Anyone have any thoughts to tempt me or modernsurrender even farther?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 25
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

I'd really love to know the profile of some folks who have been approved recenty (especially in terms of whether you had any derogs on your report at the time).  I've read the whole old thread here and the new one on another site - but there was really minimal information in both of them about the credit profiles of the folks who were approved.

I can say based on the slick deals thread  that it seems like no one is getting approved (at least not instantly) for the Visa cards, but there are several who have for MC - especially the Packers card.  People are also saying they're getting denied for the MC featuring one team, but approved for an MC featuring another team lol

I'm so tempted, but so scared!  lol I'm afraid if they say no here, that the extra inquiry (taking me to 4 on TU) would hurt my chances at the Apple card next month, but if I get this card, it's a better deal and I won't even need the Apple card!  I'm also afraid to drag my feet, because I doubt the offer will stay open long.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 25
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays NFL $400 for $1000 back? - Approved yay!

Well I bit the bullet and applied because I was nervous about missing out on the offer, and this would be a much better deal for me than the Apple card with 0% financing and no rewards (and no reason to be used after the initial purchase lol). 

I'm so glad I did!  I was approved about a half hour ago in about 10 seconds (I held my breath) while the online application processed for $2500!  My second highest CL!  The 40k points after $1000 spend showed in the terms and conditions so I captured that screen and my account screen which shows it as well.

Of course I app'd for the Packers card since it seemed to have the best approval chances based on the other sites I was looking at all day, so it's going to be difficult to use in public since I live around Philly - but I've read that they'll let you change the card design at a later time so I'll probably do that haha

*Happy dance* Now I don't have to get the Apple card, and the fact that my $950 HSBC card got closed randomly doesn't matter so much... I can also part with my FNBO pre-approval letter (although I might keep it a little longer lol) since this CL is pretty decent compared to my others.

Good luck to anyone else who jumps on it!

Message 7 of 25
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!  All the nerves were for nothing.  I wish I had your courage though...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 8 of 25
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

You can compare your credit profile to the info I posted in my original post, if you want to know more details to help you make a decision - let me know!  I'm happy to provide what I can Smiley Happy

I'd been stewing over it all day and I finally decided that the absolute worst thing that could happen is that they could say no, decline on recon, decline me for Apple in a month because of inquiries and then I'd just go with my FNBO pre-approval which also has a 0% interest rate through May and not really be at a loss for anything.  

However, if I tried and the best thing happened (getting approved) I'd be up about $400 minus a couple months of interest charges (I don't actually see the APR on my account page at the moment, just the cash advance apr of 25.24%) for the big purchase I was planning to use the Apple card for - but that should only be $50-80 over a few months so I'll still be clearing $300+ for spending what I was going to anyways.

Happy happy!

Message 9 of 25
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I appreciate your offer, however I don't see this card to be worth the chance of denial right now.  I guess the most I can hope for is that the offer continues to exist next year (not likelySmiley Sad ).  

My profile isn't too far off from yours, but likely not as favorable for approval.  I haven't been keeping my utilization anywhere near app ready (>50%).  I have an AAoA of 4 years, but limited revolving history (less than 6 months).  In addition, I have multiple student loans reporting as "over the limit" due to capitalized interest.  I can only imagine that creditors will view this as unfavorable even though I have been paying perfectly for 2 years.

My plan right now is to wait until January when my revolving history will hit 6 months, make sure that my utilization is low, and try for a Discover, Freedom, and BCP.

Then again, I can see it now...

Fast forward 2 weeks:

SnackTrader: I applied for the Barclays NFL Card to get the $400 cash back for $1000 spent...........................

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.