Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Pattern? Wanna play?

tag
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Barclays Pattern? Wanna play?

After intense research, I finally gave in and apped for a Barclays. I was going for an Apple ogriginally, but after BCP success, decided to aim a bit higher...I want to buy a lap top and the 12 months 0% is the same, plus I feel like it got me a higher limit.  Anyway, as I intend to make a purchase and will carry a balance for a bit, I'd liek to hold on to that $7500 CL!  I do agree with the people who tend toward believing that the CLD isn't as frequent as it appears, but I thought maybe it would be helpful to try and establish a pattern, as difficult as it may be.

My thoughts are that it is dependent upon a mix of things--spend habits, credit profile, but also might have to do with the type of Barclay product. So, a survey for anyone who wants to play:

Do you have Barclays? --Just accepted.

Which Product? --Barclaycard World MC

How long have you had it?--not here yet

Recon or Instant?--recon

Has you account been CLD'd--not yet

How many new accounts at the time of app? -- two in same time frame, also two Chase accounts in the year prior.

How many apps since?--None; I am in the garden.

Initial CL?-- $7500 after recon for approval.

CLIs? (how far apart, initiated by you; if so, recon? or auto?)--none yet

Spend habits (carry a balance?  PIF? churn points?)--plan to carry a balance for a bit.

Score?-- low 700s at time of app---HP on TU.

The best I can figure, Barclays doesn't like it, in general, when they make no interest off of their members.  Their higher profile/more prime products seem to get the axe less.  They are sensitive to changes in credit report, especially new account inquiries.

Hoping we can find some sort of a pattern...I'm hoping to not be AA, but I knew the risks, so mainly just curious...I like puzzles!  Plus, maybe this will help new applicants and establish some sort of a pattern.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

Re: Barclays Pattern? Wanna play?

@LisaJ wrote:

After intense research, I finally gave in and apped for a Barclays. I was going for an Apple ogriginally, but after BCP success, decided to aim a bit higher...I want to buy a lap top and the 12 months 0% is the same, plus I feel like it got me a higher limit.  Anyway, as I intend to make a purchase and will carry a balance for a bit, I'd liek to hold on to that $7500 CL!  I do agree with the people who tend toward believing that the CLD isn't as frequent as it appears, but I thought maybe it would be helpful to try and establish a pattern, as difficult as it may be.

My thoughts are that it is dependent upon a mix of things--spend habits, credit profile, but also might have to do with the type of Barclay product. So, a survey for anyone who wants to play:

Do you have Barclays? -just approved 4/10 (and its already reporting)

Which Product? --Barclaycard Arrival (AF verison)

Recon or Instant?--recon

How many new accounts at the time of app? --5 new accounts but non reporting yet

Initial CL?-- $5000 after recon for approval.

Spend habits (carry a balance?  PIF? churn points?)--plan to just have netflix on it, on autopay

Score? Score 750ish TU pull

The best I can figure, Barclays doesn't like it, in general, when they make no interest off of their members.  Their higher profile/more prime products seem to get the axe less.  They are sensitive to changes in credit report, especially new account inquiries.

Hoping we can find some sort of a pattern...I'm hoping to not be AA, but I knew the risks, so mainly just curious...I like puzzles!  Plus, maybe this will help new applicants and establish some sort of a pattern.

fico 747
Message 2 of 28
starry1
Valued Contributor

That would be interesting indeed.  

Do you know if there a list of Barclays products here somewhere?  I just want to be ablt to choose between cards when the time comes to app with them.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 3 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@LisaJ wrote:

Do you have Barclays? --Yes

Which Product? -- US Air (now closed by me), Plat Rewards

How long have you had it?--15 months for US Air, 10 months for Plat Rewards

Recon or Instant?--Instant

Has you account been CLD'd--No

How many new accounts at the time of app? -- Two at most.

How many apps since?--8 since Plat Rewards

Initial CL?-- $17k for US Air, $4.7K for rewards (lowest in 25 years!)

CLIs? (how far apart, initiated by you; if so, recon? or auto?)-- Auto CLI on Rewards after 6 months, (2.5K to $7.2K)

Spend habits (carry a balance?  PIF? churn points?)--PIF

Score?-- low 700s at time of app---HP on TU.  760 for rewards (score reported by issuer)

Message 4 of 28
scorpiostinger07
Regular Contributor

Do you have Barclays? --YES

Which Product? --Apple Visa

How long have you had it?--01/05/2013

How many new accounts at the time of app? --None

How many apps since?--6

Initial CL?-- $1700

Spend habits (carry a balance?  PIF? churn points?)--I spend about $1200 a month and PIF

Score?-- 652 at time of app---HP on TU.

Starting Score: 433
Current Score: 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 28
djrez4
Established Contributor

Which Product? --US Airways World MC

How long have you had it?--Received 2/4/13, application on 1/28/13

How many new accounts at the time of app? -- 3 months - 1   6 months - 4

How many apps since?--3 others on the same day.  None since

Initial CL?-- $6,000

Spend habits (carry a balance?  PIF? churn points?)-- 1 purchase of $20 to get the bonus miles and then into the sockdrawer

Score?-- 721 - HP on TU.

Message 6 of 28
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Do you have Barclays? Yes

Which Product? NFL Cowboys

How long have you had it? 9 / 2012

Recon or Instant? Instant

Has you account been CLD'd? No

How many new accounts at the time of app? 2

How many apps since? 6

Initial CL? $500

CLIs? (how far apart, initiated by you; if so, recon? or auto?) Requested online at 6 mos increased to $1000

Spend habits (carry a balance? PIF? churn points?) Spend about $20 per month and PIF 

Score? 650 at time of app

*8/10/13
Message 7 of 28
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Which Product? --Rewards MC
How long have you had it?-- application on 4/5/13, not received yet
Recon or Instant?--Recon
How many new accounts at the time of app? -- 3 months - 3 6 months - 4
How many apps since?--1
Initial CL?-- $2,500
Spend habits (carry a balance? PIF? churn points?)-- I plan to PIF after charging my utility bills, groceries, and gas every month to churn points.
Score?-- 698 - HP on TU.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

Do you have Barclays? --Just accepted.

Which Product? --Barclaycard Arrival World MC

Recon or Instant?-- Got pending message, didn't feel like waiting and called recon.

How many new accounts at the time of app? -- 4 other cards (CSP, Freedom, Discover, US Bank Cash+)

Initial CL?-- $8000

Spend habits (carry a balance?  PIF? churn points?)-- Plan to charge $8000 for my brother's tuition once I get the card, then PIF immediately once charges post, and then 1-2k for insurance bill, and might pay over 2-3 months just for it to leave a balance. 

Score? 766 EQ FAKO, 768 EX FICO (from amex), CK score is 750

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 28
tjrssibelle
Valued Member

Do you have Barclays? --Yes

Which Product? --Barclaycard Arrival Platinum MC (AF)

Recon or Instant?--instant

How many new accounts at the time of app? -- 3 (BCE, Chase Sapphire, Discover It) two days prior

How many apps since?--None

Initial CL?-- $1500 with instant approval; $5000 after recon

Spend habits (carry a balance?  PIF? churn points?)--PIF

Score?-- 736 TU from credit Karma

Gardening as of 9/6/13
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.