cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Ring Gains a New Feature: CA? BT? Both?

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Barclays Ring Gains a New Feature: CA? BT? Both?

Barclays emailed me with an offer to do something that is strange to me. It is sort of like a Cash Advance...I suppose and they state it's to help you pay off higher APR cards...like a BT. But really, the cash could be used for anything. I don't know if I have a use case for this having recently paid down all my cards to $0 but I suppose this may be helpful to someone?

2021-01-26 16_06_47-Fwd_ __ Good news! Christian, please open now_ Request to transfer funds from yo.png

Thoughts? Opinions?

P.S. I have had no BT offers on this card since early last year until now so this is kind of surprising.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Ring Gains a New Feature: CA? BT? Both?

Is the Ring still active and open to new applications? I thought they shut this one down 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 2 of 7
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

Is the Ring still active and open to new applications? I thought they shut this one down 

Today I learned^.

I'm sure there are still people here with it though. I just like having the comfort of an 8% CB card...especially when they throw quirky offers like a lower APR for the next few months and actual cash to my checking for my APR rate.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

Citi does this, so does BOA.  It's a nice option and sometimes faster than the traditional BT - and payments to other creditors come out of your own bank account so it's not so obvious to the lender that you're actually transferring a balance. 

Also great if you just need some temporary additional cash flow - even better when offered at a 0% apr and fee.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I think the standard balance transfer in the offer has always been there and the whole no fees (except a very tiny dollar amount for cash advances) thing was one of the major selling points of the card before it was revamped like a more traditional card (and then later axed completely I think).  Player 2 has been getting the convenience checks since day 1 about 5 years ago with the card's standard 7.x and 8.x APRs.

While 8% isn't horrible by any means, it's still substantially higher than most traditional BT offers, unless you're planning to pay it off quickly and are comparing it to a BT offer with a fee.

Message 5 of 7
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I think the standard balance transfer in the offer has always been there and the whole no fees (except a very tiny dollar amount for cash advances) thing was one of the major selling points of the card before it was revamped like a more traditional card (and then later axed completely I think).  Player 2 has been getting the convenience checks since day 1 about 5 years ago with the card's standard 7.x and 8.x APRs.

While 8% isn't horrible by any means, it's still substantially higher than most traditional BT offers, unless you're planning to pay it off quickly and are comparing it to a BT offer with a fee.

You are right there. I used to get those convenience checks every month then covid happened. Maybe my resillience score wasn't very high and that's what triggered them to stop letting me do BT's with them (I have no clue what mine is but my scores are 800+ so IDK what else it could be). 

Regarding the rate, it's not phenomenal but I am not one to apply for a CC for the sake of paying something off over time. I can pay most of my purchases rather quickly, if not, usually Best Buy has a solution for me...if not I move onto Plan It, Pay It, and if that's too costly then Ring is my fallback. I've compared it to most of those "Buy now, pay over time" (Affirm) services and it usually ends up beating those too. So while many here would just app for another card and use 0% APR for 2X months, I'll make do with what I have.

Currently working on raising my AAOA. But that's just me! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it's limited or new feature to Ring since I've received similar offers on Aviator, Miles&More, JetBlue and Hawaiian CCs.   Maybe they're simply expanding the BT options when they run certain promotions.  I remember seeing this also on Arrival before I closed it a while back.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.