Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Ring - closed w/o warning

tag
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Barclays Ring - closed w/o warning

I shouldn't be surprised, but Barclays closed my Ring without warning. I haven't used it for >12 months, so not a surprise, I was going to call to move the credit line over to another card, but alas, I waited too long. Just a warning to all - if you want to keep a Barclays card, use it a little every now and again!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays Ring - closed w/o warning

Sorry to hear about the closure.

Message 2 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Sorry about the closure. Barclays has been one of the few to warn of non use closure. Kind of surprised, since they've been warning recently.

Message 3 of 11
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Sorry about the closure. Barclays has been one of the few to warn of non use closure. Kind of surprised, since they've been warning recently.

What BA said^. I received a warning some months back and I used it and all was fine. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 11
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

That's what I was expecting - a warning. Just double checked, no email and definitely no postal mail Smiley Sad 

Message 5 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry OP. Perhaps the warning was lost in the mail.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@MJ-san wrote:

That's what I was expecting - a warning. Just double checked, no email and definitely no postal mail Smiley Sad 

If you were expecting a letter at least you knew possibilty existed. Going 12 months with no use there is always possibilty of closure especially now. I hadnt used my HD in well over a year and knew it could be closed without notice. Lol got a cld firstSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on fellow MyFicoer's responses about recent happenin's on closed cards through lack of use. I shut down my Barclay Ring last May. Reason, already had too many cards and had no use for it. Culling the herd. Do not blame lenders for adjusting their risks ... look at the 2008-2009 situation. Most of us in this Forum have had exposure to reduced CLs and shut downs so no surprises? General public is likely a less informed group.

Message 8 of 11
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Got the "we closed your account dur to inactivity" letter in the postal mail today ... so it was done w/o warning. I'm with the previous poster, culling the herd. I still have a rewards (ex SallieMae) and AA Aviator card with them, the loss of this credit line won't be impactful to my scores. My husband has the Apple Rewards and Uber cards with them ... neither is getting any use, so I may move those lines to his AA Aviator card to preserve the credit lines there.

Message 9 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MJ-san wrote:

Got the "we closed your account dur to inactivity" letter in the postal mail today ... so it was done w/o warning. I'm with the previous poster, culling the herd. I still have a rewards (ex SallieMae) and AA Aviator card with them, the loss of this credit line won't be impactful to my scores. My husband has the Apple Rewards and Uber cards with them ... neither is getting any use, so I may move those lines to his AA Aviator card to preserve the credit lines there.

I would definitely encourage having your husband contact them to get those CLs reallocated as soon as practical to avoid the Apple Financing card getting closed, given that Apple and Barclays are no longer contuining with their partnership.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.