Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Sallie Mae Dodged Chopping Block

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Barclays Sallie Mae Dodged Chopping Block

Well I decided to call Barclays Portfolio Credit Dept and give them a chance to redeem themselves after their cld of me to $9300 over a month ago. The analyst looked over everything, sp my report and gave me my $11k back on my SM. I didn't even mention my beloved Ring that was cld from $10k to $800 due to "too many new accounts" and "escalating debt". And immediately closed by me. I'll save that for another conversation. I have 6 months to be re-evaluated after a cld. They are just so silly!! But definitely lesson learned for me. Watch the new accounts and they may offer you a 0% bt. But the unspoken rule is they really don't want you to use too much of it.
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Sallie Mae Dodged Chopping Block

When I was shopping for cards to add to my profile, I really considered adding Barclay but then decided against it, they are really touchy. Even though my util is always under 10%, I would hate to always have to worry about CLD or closures.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 46
baller4life
Super Contributor

Barclays is a fickle pickle that's for sure. I used to think all the Barclays paranoia was uncalled for. Ha! They certainly made a believer out of me! Smiley Frustrated
Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Well I decided to call Barclays Portfolio Credit Dept and give them a chance to redeem themselves after their cld of me to $9300 over a month ago. The analyst looked over everything, sp my report and gave me my $11k back on my SM. I didn't even mention my beloved Ring that was cld from $10k to $800 due to "too many new accounts" and "escalating debt". And immediately closed by me. I'll save that for another conversation. I have 6 months to be re-evaluated after a cld. They are just so silly!! But definitely lesson learned for me. Watch the new accounts and they may offer you a 0% bt. But the unspoken rule is they really don't want you to use too much of it.

Good work, baller! Smiley Happy Did you use the card for a balance transfer? I have been reading in the forum that this company says they want you to transfer balances then often react badly when you do.

Message 4 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Barclays is a fickle pickle that's for sure. I used to think all the Barclays paranoia was uncalled for. Ha! They certainly made a believer out of me! Smiley Frustrated

Haha! "fickle pickle" indeed! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 46
baller4life
Super Contributor

I sure did Musiclover and BAM I got cld! Smiley Mad
Message 6 of 46
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

That's what bugs me about Barclays, for example, if your util is below say, 10%, Chase, Citi, BOA etc will leave you alone as long as you pay. However I have read about people getting CLD from Barclay even with good util just for adding a few inquiriesSmiley Indifferent

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
I sure did Musiclover and BAM I got cld! Smiley Mad

Well, I was considering that, but won't do it now!

Message 8 of 46
joshkm
New Contributor

How many new accounts did you have to spook them?

Message 9 of 46
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Nicely done!  I just axed both of my Barclays cards for the same reason, I doubt they'll miss me.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.