cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays UBER Visa: last hope of the price protector?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays UBER Visa: last hope of the price protector?

Comprehensive price protection is fast becoming extinct. It began with the banks: Discover is gone. Chase is gone. Citi, arguably the most user-friendly of the price protection services, will terminate services on September 22nd (conveniently excluding Black Friday). Mastercard is also jettisoning it's program wholesale.

That means stodgy old Visa is left, and as many of you know Visa price protection terms typically exclude Internet advertisements. Well, I know of one credit card left that may be the exception: the Uber Visa card. What I'm lacking are data points on the process and success rate with Uber Visa.

Am I mistaken? Is Internet price-matching already dead? Or perhaps one of you knows of some elusive card, that mirage in the distance, where price protection is alive and well. Every once in a while I like to dream that a little credit union somewhere has the unconstrained benefit but has remained untouched by the rapacious masses. Kind of like PCM Credit Union with its 5% cash back credit card, if only you could scale the wall...

Post Script: as you can probably tell, I never automated price protection through a third party service. For those who abused the price protection benefit, shame! We had it so very, very good. And now it's nearly all gone...

Keywords: price protection, price match, Citi Price Rewind

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays UBER Visa: last hope of the price protector?

Right this minute, the Uber Visa is one of the last major options with price protection that I can think of. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this benefit is taken away, so I wouldn't count on it at all at this point. We're talking about Barclays here who is not shy about nerfing products/benefits, beyond the fact that they bury the application for the Uber card to begin with. Then there's the fact they have discontinued all of their own branded cards.

Price protection is pretty much going away. Part of it is due to abuse, and a large part is probably because it's not worth maintaining the services when the general population is very rarely using this type of thing if ever. Plenty of people don't even redeem their card rewards let alone use the fringe benefits. So the only people really using the benefit heavily were likely the ones abusing it, unfortunately, so it goes away for everyone.

Message 2 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I haven’t used my Uber PP, so won’t comment on that.

Unless you have the time, PP has always been an annoying process. I do my due diligence when trying to get best price. If it goes down within 2 weeks... then I’ll contact retailer. I have too many more pressing issues than watching price. Citi was a pain with this.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've honestly never cared about this feature. Before I even had CC's, I'd be sol if the price went down a couple weeks after I bought something.

These IMO are just one of facts of life, you can either wait it out hoping the item goes on sale for what you feel it should cost. Or just buy said item you're after, because you either need it or want it. Life is too short to worry about what could have been, right? 

Yes, we all like to save Money whenever we can. But with today's access to so much, surely you'll have a better chance at finding the lowest price available. More than we ever did before the internet. 

As far as I'm concerned, i'd rather have "product protection" over price. Being as they make stuff so cheap these days, it's very easy to buy a lemon that lasts just past the store's return policy. Or even the manufacturer's warranty often will not cover certain issues. 

Message 4 of 9
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Since I get almost everything from Amazon, Amazon is my price protection. Amazon did have one-week price protection that was removed. However, there is a workaround which does not make sense. Basically, you return an item and repurchase it. They will not adjust the price, which is why it does not make sense because they lose more money on logistics alone. Amazon is almost always usually the cheapest anyway (especially having 5% back with their card). As with everything, I suggest not abusing it, as you might get banned.

The second store I purchase my stuff from is Costco. Same thing, but with Costco, you would not even need to repurchase it, they will adjust it for you because it is less of a hassle to accept returned goods only for you to repurchase it.

Pretty sure there are other stores like these. My point is, I have never used card price protection as it seemed like a generally longer process, and I do price protections in-store.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091: you're not joking about Barclays killing great cards. I remember the days of Sallie Mae where books and Amazon.com earned a remarkable 5%--a veritable unicorn at the time in the credit card world.

@Janus:  to each their own on the value of price protection! For me it's largely been a tool for patronizing local shops (especially bookstores) and having the price matched online. Thus, it was not only finding the lowest price but also thinking about who got the sale.

@blindambition:  most price protection services are a pain, which is why I'm looking for first-hand experiences on this last remaining one.

Can anyone speak to an Uber card price refund? How long did it take? Was it worth it in your opinion? Would you do it again? Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today marks the end of the maisntream price-match era. Citi is officially closing its doors to any new "price rewinds" as of today:

"Effective September 22, 2019, Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date.

For purchases made prior to September 22, 2019:

Coverage will remain unchanged, and you may submit requests with a lower price found within 60 days of your purchase
Citi Price Rewind will continue to search for a lower price for 60 days from the date of your registered purchase
To start a price search, you must register within 60 days of your purchase. After November 20, 2019, no price searches can be started
Requests must be received within 180 days of your purchase. After March 19, 2020, no new requests can be submitted"

Goodnight, sweet prince!

Has anyone now used Uber's price protection policy? Alternatively, are there any other credit cards out there that still offer price protection for Internet advertisements?

Message 7 of 9
SBR249
Established Contributor

According to DoC, Barclaycard is removing price protection from the Arrival+ and Uber Visa cards effective Nov 1. So that Uber CC isn't going to be much more useful for long. If price protection is what you are looking for. 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclaycard-removes-extended-warranty-price-protection-benefits/

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The UBER card is dead. Besides the lack of price protection, it turns out the 4% cash back scheme was a bait-and-switch in favor of Uber credits, which are of no value to me. I will be canceling this card once I redeem my final credit.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.