Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Uber Visa Refresh

tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Uber Visa Refresh

Cell phone coverage ends 11/1/2019. bleh.

May is better than Feb though for sure.

Message 41 of 200
grower1
Frequent Contributor

Just received my email while reading this thread. My card's reward structure will change in February. Smiley Sad

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 5.30.05 PM.png

Message 42 of 200
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@grower1 wrote:

Just received my email while reading this thread. My card's reward structure will change in February. Smiley Sad

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 5.30.05 PM.png

When did you first open the card? It seems as if changes are different depending on the person.

My changes begin in May however I opened the card in late August.

Message 43 of 200
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 44 of 200
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

Cell phone coverage ends 11/1/2019. bleh.

May is better than Feb though for sure.

No it changes but doesn't end.

Message 45 of 200
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@SEAlifer wrote:

Well shoot! This isn't a goal card of mine anymore! Losing the travel rewards and changing from cash back to Uber cash? What the heck even is Uber Cash?! I think they're going to regret this change a lot.

The fact you had to ask what Uber cash is, but Uber card is your goal card...that's the reason why they are changing rewards structure 

That's fair. I never actually use Uber but those cash back %s looked pretty good and the no FTF made me want to get it for any traveling I'd be doing for work or vacation. Now I guess if I need one I'll have to explore other options. It does seem that their previous set up didn't do much to boost Uber, to be honest.

AU

Message 46 of 200
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

The SM nerf was alot worse than this one.. Not horrid for people that use UBER alot.  Still a big nerf none-the-less.  Long live SM card :/

Message 47 of 200
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wondering if the refresh won't have an effect on things while still under the 1st year umbrella of protection from changes.... though it's a rewards change not a card terms change.

What you're referring to (the CARD act provision about first year changes) has no bearing on reward programs. Banks are free to change those with or without notice and it's irrelevant how long you have had the card. In practice, most banks provide some type of notice (in this case, several months), but nothing is really required.

As far as changing to other Barclay cards my guess would be highly unlikely as they seem to be shrinking their lineup constantly and tightening up things. For example, the Upromise card, which was never a wonderful card but had some niche for 5%+ online purchases, was also badly nerfed down to a flat 1.25% card. Barclay and nerfing seem to go hand in hand (see old Priceline card, Sallie Mae, etc); unfortunately, so you just have to enjoy the rewards while they last. In the long run though, since we've seen this over and over, I wouldn't be surprised if Barclay exits the US market altogether. When Uber was released they said they were going to add transfer partners, etc, and instead they nerfed it and changed it to forced Uber rewards only, which is the opposite of the original hype they created. They don't seem to have any (good) plan or direction which is why I could see them exiting the market.

Message 48 of 200
digitek
Established Contributor

I got the email about this while reading this thread =D

This is going to be a cancellation for me.  I don't really use Uber that often and have very little use for Uber Cash.  I only used it for 4% back on restaurants/fast food/bars with no FTF and wider category/acceptance than my Amex Gold.

I can't tell what is happening to the Cell Phone protection, it says the provider is changing and the limits and deductibles in the email, but if you go to the Uber website it says it is no longer being offered after Nov 1, 2019.  From the last thread on this it just looked like they were making it secondary insurance, the deductible was still $25 and the limit on a single claim was $600 (limit of twice a year).  Kind of confusing to me since it is listing conflicting details between the email and website.

Message 49 of 200
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Wow... that kills it for me.

This was going to be my next card too.  I figured it would be a perfect card for travelling abroad where Amex is less accepted.  Dodged a bullet on that one.

Message 50 of 200
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.