Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Uber Visa Refresh

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Uber Visa Refresh

@Taurus22 wrote:

Yep, this sucks. Got mine in April this year (2019) exclusively for the 4% restaurant cashback and the 3% travel just as a bonus category. Now this is a trash card. After reading about all this, if this is the way Barclay handles their cards, I will never get another card from them. This card hasn't even been out long enough to warrant a change like this.

So.....I'm not getting the Savor (not paying AF to get 4% on restaurant) but I need a good dining card to replace this now. Is anything higher than 3% these days without an AF? Knew I should have just gotten the Citi Costco card.....at least it would have been stable.

I'm feeling bitter I don't have a GF Savor card Smiley Sad I have the Citi Costco card and think that's what I will use now until something else comes up 4% with no AF. The Citi Costco card has similar benefits with no FTF. Another option would be WF Propel or BOA Cash Rewards w/ 3% dining category. 

Message 71 of 200
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

Yep, this sucks. Got mine in April this year (2019) exclusively for the 4% restaurant cashback and the 3% travel just as a bonus category. Now this is a trash card. After reading about all this, if this is the way Barclay handles their cards, I will never get another card from them. This card hasn't even been out long enough to warrant a change like this.

So.....I'm not getting the Savor (not paying AF to get 4% on restaurant) but I need a good dining card to replace this now. Is anything higher than 3% these days without an AF? Knew I should have just gotten the Citi Costco card.....at least it would have been stable.

3% is basically the best you can do for permanent dining cash back now with no AF, other than if you're a BoA Preferred Rewards client and select 3% on the Cash Rewards card. The 3% becomes up to 5.25%.  But otherwise, yes, you're looking at 3% with several options (Costco, Wells Propel, etc).

Barclay is certainly known for nerfing/changing their cards more frequently than many other banks.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if we ever see a 4% dining card again with no annual fee. Banks seem to cap dining at 3% unless you want to pay a fee.

Message 72 of 200
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bye Bye Uber VISA

Yeah... The card has become useless!

• 4% on restaurants -- wasted
  • uberCash -- trash

Just planned to get it, it's good that I did not.

Message 73 of 200
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

That's one possible lesson.   As I said earlier, another view is get the cards while they are great, and move on when they are nerfed.   By avoiding them, you are settling for worse cards that may themselves be nerfed anyway....

IMO, the idea of "keeper" cards has really gone.   Be prepared to change your line up, just not all the time!

Message 74 of 200
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah... The card has become useless!

• 4% on restaurants -- wasted
  • uberCash -- trash

Just planned to get it, it's good that I did not.

Message 75 of 200
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

I got the email as I was driving. My heart broke at the first red light I encountered as I skimmed it over.

For me, it will definitely lose it's prime real estate in my wallet. It's not just the food percentage being nerfed, but the fact that my cash back card now is for Uber Cash. I'll Uber when I'm traveling, but no need for it at home. And the only reason I don't cancel it is the $5000 limit I have.

February is when I'm "chasing" my next card. After that, I'll see what else is out there that might be able to help mend my broken heart. There will not be another like the Uber Visa. And the Uber Credit Card is like the homely best friend that has eyes for you, but just doesn't have the same connection.

Time to enjoy as many dates and swipes as I can before the Uber Visa heads off into the sunset. We've had some great times. This was the first and only card I had to recon and I won, thanks to Steve. I'll miss you. My wallet already feels a little thinner. This beer's for you!
BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 76 of 200
Anonymous
Not applicable

I gotta say, what a disappointing change. I got this card back in May and my card is changing to the new one in February. I didn't get to use it much because I was using Discover for restaurants last quarter, and I have a feeling I'm not going to eat $600 worth of food to cash out before February.

It's kind of funny because I just closed my Barclay Rewards Card (formerly Sallie Mae, another great card gone by). I hadn't used it in a while, so they sent me a letter saying they'd close it soon if I didn't purchase anything on it. I opted to close that account and move the credit limit over to my Uber Visa, but that seems all for naught now.

Message 77 of 200
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, my card transitions to the Uber store card on 5/2020 and I'm promptly closing it. I refuse to put a single charge on it to get Uber cash in return --- completely useless.

Message 78 of 200
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ironically I was going to apply to either the Uber Visa or the Propel, I am so glad I went for the Propel at the end

Message 79 of 200
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only went with it because it was 4% and Visa... accepted everywhere.... hopefully they change their minds about this disaster but if not, my business is going elsewhere.

Message 80 of 200
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.