cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Uber card to be discontinued...

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Uber card to be discontinued...

While the new card does not look competitive to the others in the market, I also do not see a helpful product from Barclay that I may request to PC the View card.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 41 of 80
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

ha!,

Late seeing this but I had already delegated my Uber card to scraping the bottom of the bird cage.

*first, they bait-n-switched us from 5% cash (dining) to effectively a store card with 40% less perk on dining.  

*and now they move us over to a card with zero relevance compared to other solid cards in the marketplace ...while adding foreign transaction fees and removing various perks.

These guys are a joke, and by far my poorest choice of cards.   Shame on me, but it's the last chance they'll have to do so.  Even if they were to come out with an attractive card, I don't have time or desire for their drama, and I don't trust them, I believe the bait-n-switch is a part of their business plan.

||
Message 42 of 80
Sloedough
Regular Contributor

My experience with co-branded cards has been all bad. I had a Play Station card from Capital One. Well it got moved to Comenity. And then a few months later is was closed by them. I am good with credit too, maybe too good for them. Always PIF.

I think it's best to stay away from co-branded cards. They tend to get moved around or discontinued. At least they aren't just closing the accounts.

Message 43 of 80
sammydavidjr
Regular Contributor

@Sloedough wrote:

My experience with co-branded cards has been all bad. I had a Play Station card from Capital One. Well it got moved to Comenity. And then a few months later is was closed by them. I am good with credit too, maybe too good for them. Always PIF.

I think it's best to stay away from co-branded cards. They tend to get moved around or discontinued. At least they aren't just closing the accounts.

I think it depends on the card. New cobranded cards are always a gamble for the issuer and the brand: they have a financial plan that may or may not pan out, and changes are frequent in the early years. And -- of course -- the issuer can always change even with established cards.
I have had good experiences: the Fidelity credit cards have remained unchanged for a long time (I have had one for 15 years) -- the issuer changed from Bank of America+Visa/Amex to Elan Visa, but the terms have remained unchanged: it was a 2% back credit card long before that became common (and the 1% foreign transaction fee was very competitive, back in the day).

Airline credit cards also tend to have longevity and stability: while some product changes happen from time to time, the Citi/AA, Chase/UA, Amex/Delta, and BoA/Alaska relationships have been going on for a very long time.

Message 44 of 80
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@sammydavidjr wrote:

@Sloedough wrote:

I think it depends on the card. New cobranded cards are always a gamble for the issuer and the brand: they have a financial plan that may or may not pan out, and changes are frequent in the early years. And -- of course -- the issuer can always change even with established cards.
I have had good experiences: the Fidelity credit cards have remained unchanged for a long time (I have had one for 15 years) -- the issuer changed from Bank of America+Visa/Amex to Elan Visa, but the terms have remained unchanged: it was a 2% back credit card long before that became common (and the 1% foreign transaction fee was very competitive, back in the day).

Airline credit cards also tend to have longevity and stability: while some product changes happen from time to time, the Citi/AA, Chase/UA, Amex/Delta, and BoA/Alaska relationships have been going on for a very long time.

While I think it's wise to avoid over-doing store or co-branded cards in general due to potential volatility, they can be a good deal in the right situations.  If someone if already a frequent and loyal customer of the store or cobrand, they can make a lot of sense with the rewards and perks.  However they can be unpredictable, such as what some of our members experienced with Synchrony's backlash on limits on store card accounts, as well as nerfing of benefits, transferring the accounts between lenders, or simply shutting them down.  And that's a good observation from @sammydavidjr  that the changes often happen more in the earlier stages and also that some lenders (ie Barclays included) may more casually enter into these relationships than other banks such as Chase or AMEX. 

My Costco card is another good example of a great cobrand, even though I'm generally careful about those type of accounts.  I regularly shop at Costco.  I've had the card since it was with AMEX.  The True Rewards program was very good for it's day.  Citi upped the ante' and made the card even more competitive when introduced in 2016.  For 4% on gas (capped at $7K) and 3%on dining and travel (uncapped), it's still a highly competitive card today. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 45 of 80
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I saw that several users pointed out several issues with some co-branded store cards that got managed by the store, instead of bank. The issues could be card payment mismanagement, incorrect late payments, incorrect monthly payments (even after closing card) and less flexibility to correct some issues e.g. late payments that can severely harm the credit profile of customers (even if the issues were from the store side).

After reading those issues in several forums, I only consider co-branded cards that get managed directly by a professional well-stablished bank. A few bucks would not be worth of potential headaches.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 46 of 80
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I just want to report that I still have not received any official communication with Barclays about this. No email, no snail mail, no notification online. I'd hate it if one day I am just surprised without any notice. I wonder what they'd do to my points that I haven't redeemed yet at that time.

Message 47 of 80
800wannabe420
Regular Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

I just want to report that I still have not received any official communication with Barclays about this. No email, no snail mail, no notification online. I'd hate it if one day I am just surprised without any notice. I wonder what they'd do to my points that I haven't redeemed yet at that time.

I just received my letter today (8/16/2021) via USPS for the change to occur 10/8/2021.

Message 48 of 80
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

[Snip]

My Costco card is another good example of a great cobrand, even though I'm generally careful about those type of accounts.  I regularly shop at Costco.  I've had the card since it was with AMEX.  The True Rewards program was very good for it's day.  Citi upped the ante' and made the card even more competitive when introduced in 2016.  For 4% on gas (capped at $7K) and 3%on dining and travel (uncapped), it's still a highly competitive card today. 

Nice comment.

* While I'm kicking myself for taking the dance floor with Barclaycard, i've never regretted my Costco card.   In fact, my wife beat me to it so we used hers for decades before I finally/recently (20mos now) got my own.    ...Makes sense with the considerable use we put on the card(s).

* I was dissapointed when Amex and Costco parted ways, My guess is that Citi came to the table with a better offer.   But in hindsight, Citi has done a great job, at least for us, and as you say, the card is a competitive and great card even outside of Costco.

Commentity Bank is (IMO) not a top-shelf lender, but I have their Total Rewards (Caesars Entertainment) branded card.   If it went away tomorrow there would be few tears, but I have no regrets and I do use it at Caesars properties -even though the math barely makes sense.  I appreciate them aligning with a company that is important to my community and I've had no issues with Commentity.

Sidenote, also have not been notified by Barclaycard, ..and I won't be waiting by the mailbox in anticipation.   

I have a subscription that runs $6.09 a month that qualifies for 2% under their new View card.   

So, math with me.    $6.09 x 12 = $73.08  (X 0.02 = $1.46)   

I'll put 12 charges/year for a total of $73.08 and receive a dollar.46 yearly reward on the card.     Not much, but it's $73.08 more than the UBER card is getting.    LOL

Thanks for the level-set post Aim.High.

||
Message 49 of 80
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

Letter arrived today (8/18)

My magic date is October 23

||
Message 50 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.