Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Wont Lower Interest Rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Wont Lower Interest Rate

I have a Barclays Apple Rewards, Have had it for about 3 years. They wont lower my interest rate, told me in two phone calls that the bank will not let them do any negotiations. One supervisor even told me to mail or fax the Office of the President of the bank... Anyone else experience this before? any luck or feedback? Should I keep calling them? Send a letter?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays Wont Lower Interest Rate

I believe it was reported on a thread or two here that Barclays no longer does APR reductions upon request. Calling the Office of the President is IMO unlikely to help if the bank's new policy is just not to do APR reductions.

Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Barclays Apple Rewards, Have had it for about 3 years. They wont lower my interest rate, told me in two phone calls that the bank will not let them do any negotiations. One supervisor even told me to mail or fax the Office of the President of the bank... Anyone else experience this before? any luck or feedback? Should I keep calling them? Send a letter?

Thanks!

I would not expect anything out of Barclays with a crash out Brexit approaching, highly doubtful the CEO will allow the reduction. You are not the only one to report that they wont lower APRs. I would wait till after the first of the year to ask again. Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
tussking
Established Contributor

First off...you get nothing with the Apple card besides a small CLI if you basically beg you need to buy 4 new laptops etc etc.

I did a product change to a Rewards card but to be honest their cards suck.

I then had to qualify for a Jetblue card and had them close my rewards card and transfer the CL to my JB card.

I have run 40k+ thru the JB card in 8 months and they won't lower my apr 25.99. 

If not for the 200k in JB miles and Mosiac I am upon I would cancel Barclays faster than you can sneeze.

Worst bank card I have...

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 4 of 7
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

I was able to have an APR reduction a couple of years ago on one of my Barclay cards, however, when I contacted them for an APR reduction a couple of months ago on my AAdvantage Aviator card, I was told no without looking at my account.  It seems as though Barclays is not allowing APR reductions.  

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here!  Tried asking to lower credit card interest rate from 24.99 to anything low and were told that they dont offer any APR reduction.  Better believe it that once we pay off the balance,  we will be taking our money someplace else; the hell with the miles. 

Message 6 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Same here!  Tried asking to lower credit card interest rate from 24.99 to anything low and were told that they dont offer any APR reduction.  Better believe it that once we pay off the balance,  we will be taking our money someplace else; the hell with the miles. 

I know people don't want to hear this argument, but if you have the card for the miles/rewards, the interest should be irrelevant since if you are not paying in full, the interest is wiping out any benefit from the rewards and then some.

Beyond that, even if they lowered your 24.99 down to say, 19.99 it would still not be reasonable for borrowing money, so outside of ego I don't know how much it really matters.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.