Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays and inq sensitivity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays and inq sensitivity

I applied for the AA card last month and was denied for LOL/24.  The secondary reason was for inquiries (which was considerably lower than new accounts) so Barclays does give some weight to that metric as well. 

I already have the Arrival Plus and made sure to put decent spend/activity on it for the 3 months leading up to the application.  That didn't matter.  Recon didn't budge  My TU is 828.  Everything else in my profile should've made the app a new account...

Message 11 of 17
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

I was 6/24 (6/12, actually) when I applied for (and was issued) the Uber. TU INQ's were 6 or so. Scores were in the high 700's / low 800's.

Ten months earlier, I had BT'd a good chunk of change to the Ring; it was either fully or almost fully paid off by the time I applied for the Uber. And my spend on the Ring had been next to nothing.

AAoA was ~7 years; AoOA was ~19 years.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 12 of 17
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:
I was 6/24 (6/12, actually) when I applied for (and was issued) the Uber. TU INQ's were 6 or so. Scores were in the high 700's / low 800's.

Ten months earlier, I had BT'd a good chunk of change to the Ring; it was either fully or almost fully paid off by the time I applied for the Uber. And my spend on the Ring had been next to nothing.

This is why I'm so focused on AAoA. The underwriting seems to loosen up when you cross 5+ year thresholds. 

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 13 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@800FICOGoal wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

This is why I'm so focused on AAoA. The underwriting seems to loosen up when you cross 5+ year thresholds. 

Whose underwriting are you referring to? Generally from what I've experienced. The AAoA had no real impact on whether I was approved or denied. It had more to do with how each lender judges your credit profile. No two are the same. It would be nice if there were a magic number. After 60 plus apps over the last 3.9 years. I'm pretty confident AAoA isn't a major factor in gaining approvals.

The number of new accounts is the #1 reason for denials. That's if your files are free of derogs and your credit history is reasonable, say 24 months with 3 trade-lines as the base.

I'm no expert by any means. I base my statements purely off what I've experienced.

Message 14 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@800FICOGoal wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Whose underwriting are you referring to? Generally from what I've experienced. The AAoA had no real impact on whether I was approved or denied. It had more to do with how each lender judges your credit profile. No two are the same. It would be nice if there were a magic number. After 60 plus apps over the last 3.9 years. I'm pretty confident AAoA isn't a major factor in gaining approvals.

The number of new accounts is the #1 reason for denials. That's if your files are free of derogs and your credit history is reasonable, say 24 months with 3 trade-lines as the base.

I'm no expert by any means. I base my statements purely off what I've experienced.

I'd agree with you.  Your experience pretty much aligns with mine.

BTW I was IIRC at 45/24 when I picked up my Uber Visa with instant approval.  Profiles matter.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 15 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@coldfusion wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

@800FICOGoal wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

I'd agree with you.  Your experience pretty much aligns with mine.

BTW I was IIRC at 45/24 when I picked up my Uber Visa with instant approval.  Profiles matter.

I would echo the above statements.  And my experience has been very similar as that of @coldfusion and @Gmood1.  Your specific profile, however they slice it and dice it throught that algorithm engine, is what determines the eventual outcome.  Strategy is also key.  LOL/24 here!

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Uber Visa back in August and was denied because of new accounts. My Fico 8 were all in mid-high 600's. When I called the recon department and asked about the denial they said it wasn't the inquires,it was because of the 7 new accounts I opened. He suggested I should let them age a year and then reaply if used responsibly. He also said he would refrain from opening any new cards if I want to get that one next Smiley Very Happy. I took it as a great time to garden. I just paid off a bunch of cards and although I am sure my score is going to skyrocket I am going to really try and do what he suggested. I will benefit greatly from this card so it will be worth the wait.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.