Did you mean: 

Barclays and/or Citi--Help!

tag
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Barclays and/or Citi--Help!

Hi, all!

Background information-

So I began my spree this month thinking I would apply for one of the above cards, and ended up, surprisingly, instead, with a $11,000 BCP (after an AMEX chargeoff 10 years or so back!) and a $4,000 Discover It. AMEX pulled Experian and only Experian.  I have seen nothing yet for Discover.  Seriously; I have checked all three reports for the last three days and there is not a hard anywhere, except for AMEX.  SO I have no clue when or where it is going to show.

I need to get a laptop, and I want to take advantage of Apple financing.  That leads me to think Barclays is a good option for me, and based on my profile, I think I could get it on recon if necessary. 

After this app spree, I am going into the garden for a good long time and won't be apping for anything other than CLIs from time to time. I have recieved offers both online and via mailer, of being "Preselected"(mail) and "Prequalified" (online) for the Citi Simplicity, Thank You Preferred, and one of their World Mastercards (don't recall which at the moment). 

On to the questions-

1. Best Barclay card to app for, given my profile?  My TU FAKO is 729 with one 30 day late from several years back and a paid tax lien. No inqs at all (unless Discover is about to hit TU). I'd like a promotional balance carry period. Apple seems obvious, but open to ideas.  I realize when my other two (possibly three) new accounts hit, I might be CLD'd or closed...not particularly concerned about it as it shouldn't hurt my util, really, and I will be honest with them about the new accounts if I have to go to recon. Apple seems obvious, but am I missing anything? Am I less likely to get CLD's or cut off completely with a higher profile card?

2. Citi- I like the Diamond, but it is not one of the prequalified cards for me.  I have a Home Depot card, but not sure that will hold any weight with Citi. Thoughts are welcome on this--will my relationship with them via Home D hold any weight?  I am unsure whether to app with them at all, but since this is my last app spree for awhile and has been fairly conservative, so I think I want to pull the trigger on Citi as well. Even if they pull my most INQ heavy report, I will have a total of 4, and that's Experian, which hasn't seemed to be inquiry sensitive for me. Any idea as to how that prequalifier lines up?  I know it is mixed, so not holding too much stock, but very interested in anecdotals. I am confused by their rewards and feel Chase is better for that, anyway.  I wouldn't mind a balance transfer deal, though.

Additional profile notes- EQ 704 (and I figure Citi will pull EQ here in FL) with two inquiries.  One from July 2012, one from December 2012.  EX- Score from EX site-747 and from Credit Sesame- 729.  Same two HPs as above, plus AMEX from this month (Thanks for the double pulls, Chase! Grrrr...)  I have a CSP at 10k and a Chase Freedom at $7500, along with the Citi branded Home Depot at $7200 and several smaller (and paid off) store cards.  Util is at 10%.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclays and/or Citi--Help!

Anyone? 

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 2 of 9
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred has no rewards.  Don't bother with it.  Can't think of a single Citi card I like.

As for Barclays, get the Sallie Mae MC (google the name to get to the app) and the Priceline Visa.  Don't app for the Priceline Visa from Barclay's site (you'll only get 1x points).  App from www.pricelinevisa.com and you'll get (2x points on everything).

Get a Chase Freedom while you're at it too.

Edit: just noticed you already have a Chase Freedom

Message 3 of 9
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I just got Barclay Arrival card (AF version). The AF version has 40k signup bonus. The non-AF version has 20k. Both have 22 statements of no interest apr. You could also look at the Priceline card as people seem to like that as well.

I don't have a citi card. I wanted Forward but that has been discontinued. (At least the non-student version).

I agree with Chase Freedom.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Oh. It's 12 not 22. Damn big thumbs

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

I don't have a citi card. I wanted Forward but that has been discontinued. (At least the non-student version).

You can still apply for the regular Forward over the telephone.

I would apply for the Citi Thank You Preferred. It has a $150 bonus and one year of no interest.

Message 6 of 9
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much!  I have Freddom and love it.  Smiley Happy  I am liking the suggestions, and agree with not really being all that excited by anything Citi has to offer right now.  I really wish they had a better rewards structure. :/

Grrrrrrrrr on not getting in on the Barclay NFL 400/1000 spend deal a few months back. 

Message 7 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@navigatethis12

Really? That's great news!

To the OP, I would apply for the Priceline Visa- through their site or Sallie Mae seems to be the new rage.
Message 8 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

You can still apply for the regular Forward over the telephone.

I would apply for the Citi Thank You Preferred. It has a $150 bonus and one year of no interest.

And depending on your spend, you can also get the Thank You Preferred with just a $60 bonus, but 12 months of 5x points on groceries, gas and drug stores.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.