Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays app strategy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays app strategy

Hi, I have 3 cards I plan on applying for. Those include: Uber Visa, Citi Double Cash, and NCFU cash rewards. Uber Visa is with Barclays and is the number one card on my list. My FICO scores are good, utilizations are low and I have no inquiries ATM so I'm not too worried about that. But I have read old posts on these forums that Barclays can be really sensitive with opening new accounts after opening up one with them and may even close your account because of it. So my question is, is this still the case? Should I just apply for the Uber Visa and wait for the others? If so, how long should I wait for it to be "safe" to apply for the other two cards mentioned? Guess I'm basically just asking what's the best strategy to apply for these 3 cards without spooking Barclays so much ? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclays app strategy

barclay's can be all over the place to be honest.  I have never been bitten by them personally in over 4-5 years, but i keep my utilization very low and my profile is very strong yet i know it can happen to me as has happened to others that said it will never happen to me, so i dont say that, but havent been hit yet and i am VERY aggressive on credit seeking anywhere from 20-30 new cards every 2 years, but yet to be hit by AA with them of any sorts and still get approved for everything i have ever applied for with them, with that said everyone profile is different.  As long as you keep it at a reasonable amount of cards I personally think you will be fine, but with a thinner profile tread lightly with them and dont carry high utilization on them or other cards if you plan on doing a bit of a small app spree as everyone results vary with them.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't "recommend" more than 1 card every 6 months.  You could apply for all three and go by unscathed or you might not.  Although I haven't read about any horror stories lately, the people in these forums are just a small portion of the credit world.  If I had to make a list of the top 3 creditors most likely to drop the hammer, Barclays would be on it.

If you want some safe advice, apply for the Uber now(this will hit your report in probably 3 days).  Wait six months and then apply for whatever else you are looking to add to your portfolio.  The Uber is a killer card so good luck on your app!

Message 3 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, I have 3 cards I plan on applying for. Those include: Uber Visa, Citi Double Cash, and NCFU cash rewards. Uber Visa is with Barclays and is the number one card on my list. My FICO scores are good, utilizations are low and I have no inquiries ATM so I'm not too worried about that. But I have read old posts on these forums that Barclays can be really sensitive with opening new accounts after opening up one with them and may even close your account because of it. So my question is, is this still the case? Should I just apply for the Uber Visa and wait for the others? If so, how long should I wait for it to be "safe" to apply for the other two cards mentioned? Guess I'm basically just asking what's the best strategy to apply for these 3 cards without spooking Barclays so much ? Thanks in advance.

Which cards do you already have? 

I don’t have any Barclays, for several reasons including their skittish reputation, but I agree with the idea of no more than one app every six months, as a minimum time gap.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks to every single one of you who took out the time to provide me such helpful information. Based off the replies from you all and from other posts, I may be leaning towards just going for the Uber and waiting 6 months for the other two. Unless some more replies come in that gives me confidence to just go for it. For those asking, atm I have a Discover IT, Boa Americard, Victoria Secrets, Authorized user for a Capital One card (forget which one) and Apple Card (the inquiry, nor has the credit line (4k). shown up on my credit for this, which I may wait to apply until it does.) .I will keep everyone updated just in case anyone else is in my position at some point and want to know how things went. Thanks again for all your responses.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm... Barclay's in general seems topsy turvey with some profiles and they leave others alone.  I've experienced them 2 times one was 10+ years ago when they got skittish and CLD'd my accounts due to too much activity with new accounts.  Back then I would say my profile was a bit borderline to say the least and coming around here wasn't on my radar at the time to read up on their activities.

Flip side of 2019 though has been entirely different in getting the Uber card and bumping the instant approval from 11K to 25K with a 2 minute call w/ an analyst with compliments rather than questions.  March-Arpil I added 5 new accounts and it didn't seem to disuade them from both approving and increasing the limit the same day of approval.

My biggest piece of advice is if you have a need or strong want for a card then go for it and take the free money for the new account they're offering. If you want to be a bit more cautious and space things out a bit then head in that direction but, credit in general is a gamble either way whether a lender will be AA prone or not.  

Barclay's tends ot be more stable when you have a thicker older profile than when you're building or rebuilding and a marginal score with a flutter of activity.  In their disclosures though it's the only lender I've seen put it in print that they will review your accounts and may CLD or close the account if warranted.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.