Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays auto CLI

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Barclays auto CLI

Have  barclays arrival+ card with 7.5k limit. My understanding is that any CLI request would be a HP, so I am hoping to get an auto-CLI. How often does barclays do this? Do I need to run charges near the limit for them to give me more credit or will 1 to 2k a month do it? Is the six month mark the earliest they would consider an auto cli?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays auto CLI

I've had the Juniper for five years, and they've never done an auto CLI. And, you're correct that it's a hard pull when you request one.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the apple financing card and the Ring. Got the apple about 3 or 4 months prior. Had low limits on both. No auto luv anywhere. Requested a cli on ring got denied. Month later it automatically went up a lil more than 2x. Requested a cli on the apple and got 50% extra immediately. And of course both were hps. 

Message 3 of 21
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Mine recently hit 6th statement and no CLI. I doubt they'll give me one considering how young my credit profile is.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 4 of 21
EW800
Valued Contributor

I am of the belief that Barcly really likes to see usage. I have had my card for about eight months with a CL of $7K. I Have not had an auto-CLI, although I think I have been an ideal cardholder in all but one area. My credit scores are quite a bit higher than they were when I applied for the card, no other new accounts, no new inquires and PIF before the statement cut every cycle. I think where they didn't like me so much was that I typiccally only charged $700-$800 each month out of the $7K. I suspect that if I would have done more spend they would have shown me more nice at the sixth cycle mark.
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 21
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

May I ask why you PIF before statement cuts? Are you planning on taking out a loan next month and want the 1% util for the tiny score bump? Because personally for me, PIF before statement is like asking not to get a CLI.
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 6 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree about PIF before statement cut. They're not going to increase your credit this way.

In order to get a CLI (well, to be more assured you will get one - nothing's guaranteed), you need to run your spending close to your balance. You may sacrifice rewards w/ other cards, but if you want a card to grow, temporarily you should use it as your main card. Run up the spending close to the balance. Pay it down before statement cut, but not all the way off. PIF after the statement posts.

They will see the heavy usage and are much more likely to reward you - because they see you are a potential moneymaker for them! If you PIF before every statement cut, you are almost certainly not getting a CLI. Why would you need one if you can pay it off beforehand anyway - that will be their reasoning.

You have to abandon traditional "how to have the best score" ideas temporarily in order to strategize for CLI's. You have to rack up your util on the card. Now, some times people get CLI's anyway, but this is much more likely to make it happen. Also, spending $1k out of a $7k limit is positively NOT going to get you an increase. Again, in their eyes, why on earth would you need it?

Message 7 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I agree about PIF before statement cut. They're not going to increase your credit this way.

In order to get a CLI (well, to be more assured you will get one - nothing's guaranteed), you need to run your spending close to your balance. You may sacrifice rewards w/ other cards, but if you want a card to grow, temporarily you should use it as your main card. Run up the spending close to the balance. Pay it down before statement cut, but not all the way off. PIF after the statement posts.

They will see the heavy usage and are much more likely to reward you - because they see you are a potential moneymaker for them! If you PIF before every statement cut, you are almost certainly not getting a CLI. Why would you need one if you can pay it off beforehand anyway - that will be their reasoning.

You have to abandon traditional "how to have the best score" ideas temporarily in order to strategize for CLI's. You have to rack up your util on the card. Now, some times people get CLI's anyway, but this is much more likely to make it happen. Also, spending $1k out of a $7k limit is positively NOT going to get you an increase. Again, in their eyes, why on earth would you need it?

I disagree with the the idea you need to let a balance report to get an auto CLI. You do want to have heavy use on the card, but the lender can see that heavy use even if you are PIF. When they want to review your account for a CLI they are not getting their info concerning their account from your credit report they are getting it from their internal system, so they will see all the use even if you did PIF before statement cut. In fact it could be argued that this is an even bigger sign that you need a CLI if you are running up your balance and being forced to pay it down before the statement even cuts because your credit needs are not being met by the initial credit line they gave you. 

;
Message 8 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yes they can see the high usage, but if they see you are easily PIF before the statement even cuts, they can sense that your current credit line is "enough". Why would they extend more, if you are using and paying off just fine on your current line?

Message 9 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yes they can see the high usage, but if they see you are easily PIF before the statement even cuts, they can sense that your current credit line is "enough". Why would they extend more, if you are using and paying off just fine on your current line?

Because eventually you may start going to other lenders so you don't have to pay down the card multiple times a month to use it (I have some cards that don't get used because of this). I got an auto cli on freedom using it this way. We can't really know for sure since only Barclays knows and I think its more of a system generated thing than a manual review. 

;
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.