Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays backdoor success - lower APR

tag
Courtyj725
Established Member

Barclays backdoor success - lower APR

Hello All,

Today is only my 1st day posting but I want to share my progress with you all particularly over the next 3 months as I'll be utilizing Scorewatch, lowering my util use and possibly getting CLIs or apping for a new card.

I called Barclays backdoor number to inquire about a CLI option or APR decrease. (Barclays: 866-408-4064)

I spoke with a friendly analyst who I discussed line increase with. I confirmed they pull TransUnion, allow limit increases over the phone or online and would be abe to help me with the possibility of lowering my apr. She confirmed it would be a hard pull if they were to increase my line and even suggested me waiting until I was most comfortable to request the increase.

Since I decided to wait on the increase, the backdoor number needed to transfer me to retention services to discuss APR changes.

Once transferred, I was able to describe my desire to lower my APR and explained that I'd maintain revolving credit but would be paying down the debt and would like a lower APR to assist me in lowering it, since I missed my chance to pay it off prior to the interest kicking in.

I was offered a minor APR reduction of 2.75% which is small but something! She said that it would help to get the ball rolling on me being able to get further reduction in my APR in the future. My interest rate kicked in June 1, 2013. So a reduction only 18 after feels like a blessing.

APR before backdoor call: 22.99%

APR after backdoor call: 20.24%

Just wanted to share and say thanks to the boards in general for giving me the confidence to ask and understanding that every little positive counts!

I'll be calling Capital One to see if I can lower my 17.99% APR tomorrow.

Smiley Happy

Wallet: JetBlue Plus Barclay MasterCard - $3000/ Cap One Quicksilver - $2500 / Citi Diamond Preferred - $2000 / Chase Slate - $2000 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa - $1900 / Discover It - $1900 / Target - $2100 / Macy's - $2100 / Victoria Secret - $950

Starting Score 6/17/13: EQ:651 EX:640
Current Score: TU:685 5/5/16 EXP: n/a 5/5/16
Goal Score: 750
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays backdoor success - lower APR

Very Nice!! Congrats and welcome to the Forums!!!

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats! If the call to Cap 1 doesn't work, try emailing the EO
Message 3 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Congrats, I should try that although I think I will just pay down

Good luck  with capital1

Message 5 of 6
Courtyj725
Established Member

Thanks to all who congratulated me!

I'm working hard to get things in order and it's really not alot of money. I have no more than 3,200 in cc debt and am in a position to pay down, do damage on it.

My coworkers have bene heavy on 401k investing and telling me its more important to do that than 401k but in all honesty, being debt free and having a high credit score takes time as well and need to be gotten under control first.

I'm on my way Smiley Happy

Wallet: JetBlue Plus Barclay MasterCard - $3000/ Cap One Quicksilver - $2500 / Citi Diamond Preferred - $2000 / Chase Slate - $2000 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa - $1900 / Discover It - $1900 / Target - $2100 / Macy's - $2100 / Victoria Secret - $950

Starting Score 6/17/13: EQ:651 EX:640
Current Score: TU:685 5/5/16 EXP: n/a 5/5/16
Goal Score: 750
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.