Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays credit Good or bad ??

tag
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Barclays credit Good or bad ??

What is a Barclays credit card. I see that a lot of folks here have them. Is Barclays like a Amex or Discover card ?

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

What is a Barclays credit card. I see that a lot of folks here have them. Is Barclays like a Amex or Discover card ?

Wouldn't put them that far up there but they are close. I personally love my card, the big thing with them is being INQ/new account sensitive after you've opened your account for about 6-12 months.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 46
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Here's a link to their site: https://www.barclaycardus.com/  This has a list of all of their CCs: http://www.aboutbarclaycardus.com/prodsresource_products.php

Barclay's is a bank that offers Visa and MC. They are a prime lender, but seem to be a little more flexible than some of the other, more conservative lenders.

They have a variety of cards, which you can see from their site. Some have rewards, some don't.

A lot of people on the forum have the Barclay's Apple card because they were really good on approvals and also on increasing the initial CL given. For example, I was approved for $1200, I think it was. I called the next day to recon the CL and they asked me a few questions and then increased my CL to $2200, which was my highest limit at the time. They also had 0% financing on Apple products, which a lot of us took advantage of.

My experience with them has been positive. However, you may read some negative threads here about them. They are VERY picky about getting new CCs after you get theirs. A good rule of thumb is to wait at least 6 mos after getting a Barclay's to get any new CCs.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 46
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Barclays is an international bank.  They have a lot of cobranded cards.   There have MasterCard, VIsa, and AMEX network cards.

Message 4 of 46
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Barclays bank is a credit card that i would never get, people say that if inq or new accounts are opened the close out accounts. I dont want to have get a card in Jan and in May i need to apply for a new account and have to be scared that Barclays will close my account.
Message 5 of 46
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the great information. I just read on here 2hrs ago that they were approved for a for a $2200 credit limit when they got the card 2 months ago then a month later they applied for a Citi Bank and was appoved for $3k. Barclays sent a letter and they got a decrease for $400 which bring them to a $1800 C/L. Barclays I think is picky!

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 6 of 46
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Thanks for all the great information. I just read on here 2hrs ago that they were approved for a for a $2200 credit limit when they got the card 2 months ago then a month later they applied for a Citi Bank and was appoved for $3k. Barclays sent a letter and they got a decrease for $400 which bring them to a $1800 C/L. Barclays I think is picky!

Many have reported CL decreases if other credit is obtained within 6 months of getting a new card from Barclay. 

IMO, If you are a regular customer of one of the cobranded stores, that is a good reason to get one, otherwise not.

Message 7 of 46
halos24
Frequent Contributor

I opened up my Barclays Itunes Rewards Visa in Oct 2010 along with all my other new GE cards in a matter of 6 months... now that I think of it after opening the Barclays Itunes card I opened about 7 new cards within 6 months!!! They have been good to me starting me off with $1k and now after the card being a year old I am at $4k!  They are always sending me 0% on balance transfers also.  Not saying I am the exception to the rule but I also have seen them sensative to new accounts I guess I will consider myself at least for now lucky they have not touched my card.  Smiley Indifferent god I hope I didnt jinx myself Smiley Happy....

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 8 of 46
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

I have not had my account long enough to speak about Barclay  being too sensitive to customers applying for more credit post-approval for one of thier cards.  I am hoping I will not be affected by this sensitivity, as I did apply for and was denied a Chase card just three weeks ago. I can speak to their  CLIs via a recon calll.  

In January, I received a pre-selection offer ot their US Airways Dividends MIles MC.   I am an US Airways Dvidend MIles customer, but I have not flown with the airline in years and have never used any of the small rewards I have earned, but I am sure having the account is the only reason I was offered the MC.  I applied for the card and was approved for a $1000.00 CL, but before I even received the card, I called twice to request a CLI, and was approved, first for an extra $1000 and then for an extra $1500. 

Currently, this card has the highest CL of my three major credit cards, and I am optimistic that the CL will contiinue to grow with me.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 9 of 46
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Barclays bank is a credit card that i would never get, people say that if inq or new accounts are opened the close out accounts. I dont want to have get a card in Jan and in May i need to apply for a new account and have to be scared that Barclays will close my account.

With all of your other cards, there really isn't anything to app for. You have fallback cards.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.