Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays credit Good or bad ??

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??

@halo I hope I get some Barclays luv, 3 months to make 6 for me! I like using this card!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 31 of 46
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

I'm a little surprised to read some of the posts here.  Is it true that Barclay will actually evaluate an account and potentially close you out if you had obtained a new card since them?  What is the reasoning for that?  I opened my Barclay Card last Black Friday, and I recently opened up new cards with Chase and Citi.  I'm right around the 6-7 month mark between cards so I hope that is okay, but it still seems crazy that they would lower credit based on that.

Message 32 of 46
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I'm a little surprised to read some of the posts here.  Is it true that Barclay will actually evaluate an account and potentially close you out if you had obtained a new card since them?  What is the reasoning for that?  I opened my Barclay Card last Black Friday, and I recently opened up new cards with Chase and Citi.  I'm right around the 6-7 month mark between cards so I hope that is okay, but it still seems crazy that they would lower credit based on that.

I think people read posts about this happening and assume it happens to someone every day. They just don't want to give you a card based on your report, (say you have 4 nicely aged acounts with decent limits, good payment history, and whatnot), and then soft you the next month and see that you've applied and been approved for 4 more cards.  

IMHO opening a barclays card (that you actually want/need) is a great way to start off a period of gardening. You know that you may be at risk if you open new accounts after barclays, and it's a nice way to force yourself to stay in the garden for a little bit of time. 

Message 33 of 46
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Barclay's just doesn't like to see you obtaining a lot of credit in a short time, or shortly after you've opened an acct with them. In general, waiting 6 mos is a good rule of thumb. You shouldn't have any problems.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 34 of 46
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I opened a card with them for $500 back in 2008.  They refused to give me a CLI until recently, but to $850.  I've moved on to greener pastures now, so I'm cancelling them. 

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 35 of 46
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

I just had my US Air card reduced from $1500 to $1050.  I asked for an explanation and the online (email) rep told me that a letter is has been sent explaining their actions.  I responded that I would be paying in full this month and closing the account.  I do not have time for this nonsense and I refuse to play their games.

Message 36 of 46
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I have been happy with my Barclays experience.  At the beginning of the year, I applied for the Visa Apple finance card and got approved for $1400.  About a month later, I applied for their MasterCard US Air card (US Air is the only carrier that flys in and out of my small, local airport) and got the 7-10 day response.  I apped late on a Friday and was going to call on Monday to ask if they needed additional information from me for consideration but they ended up calling me first.  They asked a couple of questions and asked me if a CL of $3500 sounded ok for me.  Of course, I said yes.  I don't use the Apple card very often (a small charge every couple of weeks to keep it active), but have used the US Air card, especially for 2 flights I've taken and one I'm about to take and a local restaurant that offers miles when I eat there.  Since both cards, I have gotten Chase Freedom, Discover More, BankAmerica 123, and Paypal Extras (GE) cards and haven't had any problems with the Barclays cards.  I have also opened up a online savings account with them because of their 1.00% APY but my two cards are not associated with that at all.  

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 37 of 46
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I plan on getting one of their cards when my scores comes up. I've apped before and did a Recon. Didn't get it but the rep told me exactly what I needed on my credit profile to get approved in the future. Only one I's want is their apple one for the 0%. The 2% on utilities sounds nice too though.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 38 of 46
dwarrenk
New Visitor

I  have had one for 7+ years... I pay it off every month... hign interest rate (that's why I always pay the full balance). Every so often, they lower the CL even though I never carry a balance.a couple of years ago,  I got an Amazon card (with reward points) a much, much better card (I hardly ever use the Juniper card anymore) ... I would like to cancel the Juniper (Barclay) card... but doing so will lower my credit score... people can do MUCH Better than a Barclay card. A year or so ago, I went online, paid the balance, then I didn't use the card for 4-5 weeks, then got a late notice. Barclay had charged interest of a couple of dollars (after I paid the entire balance as was shown on the online website)... since I did not use the card, I didn't get online to pay during that time. I was charged a $20.00 late fee on a $2.00 interest fee balance. I called, but had to pay it anyway.. you decide... do you want to deal with a company like this?

Message 39 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

You have revived an old thread!

Closing the card doesn't necessarily impact your score, it depends on how much balance you are reporting and how big a % of your credit limit is in the closed card.

Like most issuers, Barclays have a range of credit cards, and some are considered very good, (so people can't do "MUCH better than a Barclays"!)

On your interest charge: so you paid the statement balance but they charged interest?  What was their explanation, when you called?  

Late fee is common, sometimes they will waive the first time but they don't have to.  

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.