Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays has taken action after using BT

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Barclays has taken action after using BT

Just wanted to add a bit of data to these forums with all we see about Barclays. In early January I decided to use a 0% balance transfer after Barclays kept bombarding me with them, and used the money to pay off my Christmas shopping and a few other big bills. I did the BT online where Barclays deposits the money directly into your checking account, and did $6k of my $17,200 line. I've been paying it back at the rate of $500/month since then.

Every time I log in I've been half-expecting to see my CL slashed, and resigned myself to not caring about it. I logged in this morning and see my CL has changed, they've given me an auto-CLI to $20,200 - a $3k increase!

So maybe they're changing their ways or the view of Barclays is highly skewed on these forums by some negative experiences.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays has taken action after using BT

Wonderful!

In my year with Barclays i've found all of the paranoia around them overblown... at least in my case.

I BT'd $12k to a $16.5k card (three days after acquiring said card) and there was no action. 

I applied for the Ring after 9 months of having the Aviator and was insta-approved for $10k.

They've been nothing but pleasant as a company... for me.

Message 2 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats.. Ya called in and got an APR reduction and a SP CLI of 2500 day before yesterday and they were basically saying I could use 0% BT check to put into my checking account basically begging me to lol.. I don't carry balances so didn't need this and know people that have been bit by it, although everyones profile is different.  

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

they aren't changing their ways; they've been known to want you to use their BT offers (people with the ring card get extra info about barclays)

congrats on your increase!
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same for me, I had been using my Ring to carry a small $5k BT when I lost my job. When I got my new job, it included a 25% pay decrease. So I called them and let them know that I'd be carrying heavy utilization on the card, upwards of 80% and to ask them if that would be a problem. I told them I was doing it because it was by far the lowest interest rate on all my cards. They looked through my account and said no problem. I've been carrying about 85% utilization for the past 6 months with (so far) no AA from them.

Message 5 of 23
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Same for me, I had been using my Ring to carry a small $5k BT when I lost my job. When I got my new job, it included a 25% pay decrease. So I called them and let them know that I'd be carrying heavy utilization on the card, upwards of 80% and to ask them if that would be a problem. I told them I was doing it because it was by far the lowest interest rate on all my cards. They looked through my account and said no problem. I've been carrying about 85% utilization for the past 6 months with (so far) no AA from them.

Sorry to hear about the job loss and congrats on the new job, albeit with a pay decrease. I also lost my job, in November. Decided to become self employed and haven't looked back!

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good news about Barclay!

Message 7 of 23
dumaine
Regular Contributor

My experience with Barclays has been somewhat similar. Started in 12/13 with 2k and no luv at the 6 month mark. Ran a couple transfers thru and got auto cli to 6500 at the 1 yr mark.  Then I run another transfer thru them. Checked online just after the first of this year and was sitting at 10400.

Message 8 of 23
CreditJim
Established Contributor

This forum makes no sense. Why is a post about a balance transfer on a credit card well known for adverse action on balance transfers moved to credit card approvals? I've had the card for a couple of years!

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to change the title a bit or you will give half the community a heart attack when they first see it. Congratulations on your success! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.