Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

tag
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

I applied for the Ring in order to get the 8% for the holidays at least until my Christmas club check comes in I'd like to start holiday shopping now--pay later. They declined me. My scores listed below are pretty recent. Never any baddies ever. UTL is 7%. I called to recon and was told that I was declined based on the fact that my AAOA was only 3 years and I opened 4 new accounts this year. I pleaded with them--no go.

I then gently called back, asked for a supervisor. She came on and she reviewed my application. She said we just simply need to see more history. I asked her to take my non-revolving history into consideration since I only got credit cards after purchasing my home of many years because of what the broker advised later in life. She said no even though I've been paying on a home loan and car note without any lates ever that did not help with their decision process. I explained that I had an AMEX (more than one), several lenders. I also had an explanation for the recent accounts--store cards for 0% interest ie Lowes for appliances. NO GO.

I'm a little baffled because I always hear success stories about recon with Barclays and people getting approved with baddies, little to no history, etc. I mentioned that to her and she said don't trust anything anyone tells you. I told her that I applied in past with them and was declined. It seems based on my socioeconomic status or other factors including zip code Barclays does not like me. She said nonsense. Either way I left the conversation with a big fat NO. I think I had some good arguments, but in the end she wouldn't budge. Oh well. I didn't need them. Called Discover who lowered my APR and gave me an offer for 6 months 0% interest. Love me some DISCOVER!! You can always count on them!

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

You don't want a Barclays card...nothing but headaches...had mine from Dec 2011 to today

Started with 1700 CL, they increase 9 months later to 3500...thats fine and dandy but....

I started making larger payments 900 at a time every 4 or so days and they held (3) consecutive payments for 5 days each.  I could not use my card at all and they would not remove the holds.

I have spent 60k with Amex over the years and 15k with Citi, never a single payment hold on any credit card I have had in my life other then with Barclays.  I hate them now.  You are not loosing anything by them declining you.

I threw my card in my sock drawer

Message 2 of 29
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

That is odd. I had less than two years of revolving history (two store cards) and was able to get it, despite Barclays being the last card that I opened after opening several accounts. I told them it was just me establishing credit and they were fine with it. You can always try again in a few days.

Message 3 of 29
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

that is odd, I've heard nothing but praises for Barclay's recons...

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's strange they wouldn't approve you. After being denied by Discover and Chase it was Barclays who approved me.
Message 5 of 29
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about Barclays. But glad Discover showed some love.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 29
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I know. I should have been approved. They have to be basing it on my zip code or some unknow (and undisclosed) reason other than those given.

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 7 of 29
toppers555
Established Contributor

I can see how 4 brand new credit lines this year alone could be a toss up especially if they all were very recent  but, then again you have soild scores.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 8 of 29
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Well it's not based on scores alone obviously. She acknowledged my stellar scores. Still a no go.

Message 9 of 29
rosegardener
Established Member

The four new accounts may have factored into it a bit, Barclays can be hyper sensitive to new accounts prior to or directly after apping with them it seems

Sorry you didn't get approved, they hate me too so you are in good company!

Other lenders in the sea.

In the wallet: USAA MC $4k, Citi Expedia MC $2k, Discover More $1k, Zync $500, American Eagle $1.9k, Amazon Store $1.5k, Lowes $1k, Belk $1.4k, Macy's $500, Abercrombie $350, VS $350
Score: 702 (Discover approval 08/03)
Goal: 800 Club
Picking up my intro spade and stepping in the garden. Let's grow some pretty roses!
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.