Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

Sorry to hear this; however, barclay's seems hypersensitive at the op mentions to new accts. I like them so far but who knows.... All recons are a ymmv situation!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

I applied for the Ring in order to get the 8% for the holidays at least until my Christmas club check comes in I'd like to start holiday shopping now--pay later. They declined me. My scores listed below are pretty recent. Never any baddies ever. UTL is 7%. I called to recon and was told that I was declined based on the fact that my AAOA was only 3 years and I opened 4 new accounts this year. I pleaded with them--no go.

I then gently called back, asked for a supervisor. She came on and she reviewed my application. She said we just simply need to see more history. I asked her to take my non-revolving history into consideration since I only got credit cards after purchasing my home of many years because of what the broker advised later in life. She said no even though I've been paying on a home loan and car note without any lates ever that did not help with their decision process. I explained that I had an AMEX (more than one), several lenders. I also had an explanation for the recent accounts--store cards for 0% interest ie Lowes for appliances. NO GO.

I'm a little baffled because I always hear success stories about recon with Barclays and people getting approved with baddies, little to no history, etc. I mentioned that to her and she said don't trust anything anyone tells you. I told her that I applied in past with them and was declined. It seems based on my socioeconomic status or other factors including zip code Barclays does not like me. She said nonsense. Either way I left the conversation with a big fat NO. I think I had some good arguments, but in the end she wouldn't budge. Oh well. I didn't need them. Called Discover who lowered my APR and gave me an offer for 6 months 0% interest. Love me some DISCOVER!! You can always count on them!

I'm sorry you need to call in at a completely different time of day or night and try again... These 2 people seem to need to walk outside and check what bank is written at the top of the building because you have what 8 cards over $1k and several over $5 and $10k... I am proud of the work I have done and decent scores going into the APP for 3 or 4th time for my apple card but someone with no BK, has a mortgage, car, and all those higher and some high limit credit cards and no go because of 4 years history... Hi, what about my 2 year history FROM BK.... no BK vs. BK... 

ugh it makes me want to scream... so I then say, you want Barclay for 8% Xmas shopping, WHY!!! Go get 0% and F off some Barclay 8%!

Message 12 of 29
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I too would have thought that you would have been approved, but then again, nothing is for certain in the world of credit.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 29
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Yeah at first I was upset. Not because I didn't get approved. That's really not the problem. I don't care if I ever get a Barclays. I was upset because I actually do a really good job managing my finances and my credit and should have been approved. Now I'm like whatever Barclays. I can do much better lol. Even the manager said you do seem credit savvy but we just can't. We need to see more history on the new accounts. There was no arguing with her anymore.
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 14 of 29
ednajen
New Contributor

I feel your pain.  They denied me too...I wanted to get their us air card for the bonus miles and  rewards.  I called in to recon because of what I gathered from the boards.  He said my scores were fine, but I had one medical collection on my report.  I told him that there is a dispute with that, and I had four originally that were just removed and I was willing to fax him a letter proving that would be removed soon , but they said call back when it's removed to be reevaluated.

I was able to get an Amex Zync last month and received a pre-approval for the Gold.  I've got my eye on the Delta Amex now...I don't think I will call them back...but I did take the HPSmiley Sad

Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 15 of 29
JonStur
Established Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:
Yeah at first I was upset. Not because I didn't get approved. That's really not the problem. I don't care if I ever get a Barclays. I was upset because I actually do a really good job managing my finances and my credit and should have been approved. Now I'm like whatever Barclays. I can do much better lol. Even the manager said you do seem credit savvy but we just can't. We need to see more history on the new accounts. There was no arguing with her anymore.

Barclays has and will always be sensitive to inqs and new accts at least 6 months before and after you app with them. It's just the way they configure their risk assessment. It's just the way they do business and I wouldn't take it personally.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 16 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

@laboi_22 wrote:

Barclays has and will always be sensitive to inqs and new accts at least 6 months before and after you app with them. It's just the way they configure their risk assessment. It's just the way they do business and I wouldn't take it personally.

1. I think the 6 months after and to many more apps and new accounts being opened is over rated... I had no issues, many others have said but it's true most even me remember the bad posts for products that we have especially when you "meaning me" are doing what all bad posts have talked about... wonder when that closed letter will come!

2. Being declined by Barclay with anything in the 700's with NO BADDIES is VERY Personal!!! - How can it not be, OP sees posts daily of low 600's "even lower sometimes" get approved with collections, Bankruptcy's, etc. as long as they conform into the 2 things that got OP denied (newer accounts, and INQ's) but again to my earlier statement, an underwriter should realize the difference for a "new" credit file and new manner of control on accounts since a BK or last collections and the difference of someone building new relationships after houses purchases, etc....

Message 17 of 29
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

1. I think the 6 months after and to many more apps and new accounts being opened is over rated... I had no issues, many others have said but it's true most even me remember the bad posts for products that we have especially when you "meaning me" are doing what all bad posts have talked about... wonder when that closed letter will come!

2. Being declined by Barclay with anything in the 700's with NO BADDIES is VERY Personal!!! - How can it not be, OP sees posts daily of low 600's "even lower sometimes" get approved with collections, Bankruptcy's, etc. as long as they conform into the 2 things that got OP denied (newer accounts, and INQ's) but again to my earlier statement, an underwriter should realize the difference for a "new" credit file and new manner of control on accounts since a BK or last collections and the difference of someone building new relationships after houses purchases, etc....

For me new accounts and inquiries did not seem to matter. I got an increase and have heard nothing of them shutting down the account. I think they mostly watch people who have had bad credit in the past, since they could repeat the negative history.

I admit that seeing someone just out of bankruptcy a year ago get a 10000 line with someone I got a lower line for with no negatives does sting a little. However, it should still not be taken personally. The analysts at Barclays do not know any of us, and if they did they would not be allowed to proceed with the conversation. They are just making a decision based on things on a credit report and their experience with people with similar files.

Some people on here say they get denied for inquiries, while I have had no trouble with inquries being a reason and I believe I have about 17 on all three. It really is different for different people and getting stuck on it does not make it better( I know, I have tried). The only thing to do is just move on to another lender and come back in the future if you still want a card with them.

Message 18 of 29
compassion101
Established Contributor

Yeah, I guess they are just new account sensitive. Every company has their own risk assesment team and I guess that's the pet peeve of theirs.

Just curious, what is your christmas club? Is it one of those savings with no interest type deals or do you get something more out of it? I always hear about them and wonder what the attraction for them is.

Message 19 of 29
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear. I think you should try one more time for recon. However I think its the new accounts hurting you. Are any of them reporting balances? Typically Barclay's recon success is with the Barclay card or apple card which carries a rather high apr. I have seen much of a ring card recon success. Let us know if you try again.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.