Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

tag
blackie1
Valued Member

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

perhaps because you already have 13 cards, which begs the question, why do you need another one?

2fst4u
Message 21 of 29
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

+1 @ blackie
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 22 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

I have FICO scores in the 740-760 range, and didn't get approved either. They didn't like the fact that I had 3 inquiries in the last 3 months. I applied for the Rewards Mastercard - Average Credit reviewed here: http://www.askmrcreditcard.com/barclays/rewards/mastercard/average-credit/ , and after 15 minutes on the phone I still could not convince the rep to approve my application. From my experience, they're taking the route of Chase, not Cap One. Meh. 

Message 23 of 29
JonStur
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

@laboi_22 wrote:
Yeah at first I was upset. Not because I didn't get approved. That's really not the problem. I don't care if I ever get a Barclays. I was upset because I actually do a really good job managing my finances and my credit and should have been approved. Now I'm like whatever Barclays. I can do much better lol. Even the manager said you do seem credit savvy but we just can't. We need to see more history on the new accounts. There was no arguing with her anymore.

Barclays has and will always be sensitive to inqs and new accts at least 6 months before and after you app with them. It's just the way they configure their risk assessment. It's just the way they do business and I wouldn't take it personally.

1. I think the 6 months after and to many more apps and new accounts being opened is over rated... I had no issues, many others have said but it's true most even me remember the bad posts for products that we have especially when you "meaning me" are doing what all bad posts have talked about... wonder when that closed letter will come!

2. Being declined by Barclay with anything in the 700's with NO BADDIES is VERY Personal!!! - How can it not be, OP sees posts daily of low 600's "even lower sometimes" get approved with collections, Bankruptcy's, etc. as long as they conform into the 2 things that got OP denied (newer accounts, and INQ's) but again to my earlier statement, an underwriter should realize the difference for a "new" credit file and new manner of control on accounts since a BK or last collections and the difference of someone building new relationships after houses purchases, etc....

1. You can't base what has happened to you to how Barclay does business. There has been enough empirical evidence of people getting AA by Barclays to conclude that such a policy exists.  It is a fact that Barclay softs multiple times after issuing credit. Some people are fortunate, but its reading about their good fortunate which has caused others to emulate them and find their credit reduced.

2. Being denied should NOT be taken personally. A personal assessment on their part would have been telling the OP,  " We don't like the way you look, walk, talk, and smell. Therefore, we ain't giving you our card". That was not the case. In order to satisfy their risk criteria, they merely wanted to see how the OP managed their new accounts. Makes no difference about other people who has gotten approved " in low 600s, collections and with bankruptcies". As I said before, some people are fortunate, some aren't, there is no way to control that. If the OP maintains  their accounts, they can have a Barclay account in a few months if they still desire it.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 24 of 29
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Isnt the Ring card the one with the more stringent qualifications? Could be wrong, i have never had a barclays acct, but thought i remembered reading that at some point here on the forum.
Message 25 of 29
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah.... Id be scared of denial for the ring card....Even w a solid 700 fico. It's 8% across the board.... What other card offers a non-intro that low?!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 26 of 29
Schadenfreude
Established Member

Is the Barclay Ring a Visa Signature or World MC by chance? Haven't heard much about whether it is or not.

Message 27 of 29
laboi_22
Established Contributor

@blackie1 wrote:

perhaps because you already have 13 cards, which begs the question, why do you need another one?

Maybe this is seen as a risk by Barclays, however most banks do not worry so much about how many account you have. As long as their account is opened, used, and handeled properly, why should they be concerned otherwise. This point is irrelevant. Makes sense in your head, however you are not a bank. The point I simply was making was that Barclays is ultra sensetive. They are not concered with the amount of accounts I have, they are concerned that 4 new accounts were opened this year alone. There was never any question to beg regarding why I would possibly need another card. That wasn't the problem they had. You obviously injected your personal opinion about a sitiuation that did not fully understand.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 28 of 29
laboi_22
Established Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

@laboi_22 wrote:
Yeah at first I was upset. Not because I didn't get approved. That's really not the problem. I don't care if I ever get a Barclays. I was upset because I actually do a really good job managing my finances and my credit and should have been approved. Now I'm like whatever Barclays. I can do much better lol. Even the manager said you do seem credit savvy but we just can't. We need to see more history on the new accounts. There was no arguing with her anymore.

Barclays has and will always be sensitive to inqs and new accts at least 6 months before and after you app with them. It's just the way they configure their risk assessment. It's just the way they do business and I wouldn't take it personally.

1. I think the 6 months after and to many more apps and new accounts being opened is over rated... I had no issues, many others have said but it's true most even me remember the bad posts for products that we have especially when you "meaning me" are doing what all bad posts have talked about... wonder when that closed letter will come!

2. Being declined by Barclay with anything in the 700's with NO BADDIES is VERY Personal!!! - How can it not be, OP sees posts daily of low 600's "even lower sometimes" get approved with collections, Bankruptcy's, etc. as long as they conform into the 2 things that got OP denied (newer accounts, and INQ's) but again to my earlier statement, an underwriter should realize the difference for a "new" credit file and new manner of control on accounts since a BK or last collections and the difference of someone building new relationships after houses purchases, etc....

1. You can't base what has happened to you to how Barclay does business. There has been enough empirical evidence of people getting AA by Barclays to conclude that such a policy exists.  It is a fact that Barclay softs multiple times after issuing credit. Some people are fortunate, but its reading about their good fortunate which has caused others to emulate them and find their credit reduced.

2. Being denied should NOT be taken personally. A personal assessment on their part would have been telling the OP,  " We don't like the way you look, walk, talk, and smell. Therefore, we ain't giving you our card". That was not the case. In order to satisfy their risk criteria, they merely wanted to see how the OP managed their new accounts. Makes no difference about other people who has gotten approved " in low 600s, collections and with bankruptcies". As I said before, some people are fortunate, some aren't, there is no way to control that. If the OP maintains  their accounts, they can have a Barclay account in a few months if they still desire it.

I understand what you are saying. Their internal risk scoring is stringent. Now according to posters from this site, many people get approved with charge offs and other derogatory information. With that said, I can't help but think that there is another reason that I'm such a risk since the risks listed seemed a bit impractical. 

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.