Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays killing me.

tag
TaterDawg
New Contributor

Barclays killing me.

So I applied for and got the CashForward card back in early October and was approved for a $15,000 limit. As it turns out, this was maybe the third card of four that I was approved for in a little application spree at that time.  Anyway, I took advantage of their 0% BT offer and moved about $5000 over. Generally, I was pretty happy.

A couple of days ago I noticed on my phone app that my account was reporting only $200 in available credit.  Huh?  Checked the website, same thing... pulled up my last couple of statements and confirmed that on both first two statements I had a $15k limit, but my latest statement showed $4800. WTH?  No notices or messages on my online account. 

Today I received a letter in the mail notifying me of the credit limit decrease. Suddenly those other three applications and approvals back in October has made them skittish.  TU FICO score of 782 they say.  So suddenly I go from 31% utilization to 96% on this stupid account.  Arrgghh!!!!

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays killing me.

Barclay strikes again

There's a recent thread of others luck with them (if you want to browse).

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclays-CLD/m-p/4833567#U4833567

my condolences

Message 2 of 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Call them tomorrow and ask them to transfer you to portfolio services... Sorry this has happened and hopefully they can and will restore your limit.  This is known of Barclay's, but if you been paying off good chunks of that debt you have a good change of getting your limit restored.  Best of luck.

Message 3 of 39
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

lSJpukjigvCy.jpg

Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sigh.......

At this rate, maybe there should be a sub forum under CREDIT CARDS titled: Barclays CLD.

Every time I think, "Maybe i'll just keep them open," another thread pops up. Now, I'm  just keeping my fingers crossed, I can make it 1 yr without AA from them.  

Sorry op! 

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry OP. I'm the other post. Luckily I didn't have a balance on my card. I closed it. I have literally read over 100 of these in diff sites in the past 48 hours. I'm happy to be rid of them. Ironically I got an alert my TU went up again this month. Sitting at 770 now. Guess that's too risky for them.
Message 6 of 39
TaterDawg
New Contributor

Yeah, right after getting approved for this card I saw a few posts about Barclays dishing out CLD's to people who applied for credit with other companies, so I was a little concerned, knowing that I had applied for several at the same time. I just didn't expect them to act on it within a couple of months, or to drop my SL to barely over my balance. 

Guess I'll give Portfolio Services a call and see about getting the limit restored. Kind of tempted to tell them to eff off, take the fee hit and BT this to another card and close the account. But I guess if I'm halfway smart, I should take advantage of my 0% BT rate and pay off the card over time and then close it later.  Smiley Mad

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 7 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay seems to be running rampant.

Message 8 of 39
rlx01
Established Contributor

We're going to be seeing a lot more of this in the next couple of years across a range of lenders.

I don't think it has anything to do with your app spree. They seem to be de-risking at a rapid pace.
Message 9 of 39
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Yada yada yada Baclay's is bad yada yada yada.  Barclay's isn't "de-risking" or randomly CLD accounts.  This crap has been going on for years.  They're known to clock new account holders aftrer they give a decent approval if they see ANY other inq's or new accounts around the same time.  (Mod Cut-Please no political talk on the forums, thanks for understanding)

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.