Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays killing me.

tag
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays killing me.

We'll see. Smiley Happy The other equally plausible possibility is that their risk algorithms are junk.

I never know if there's more to a story or what. I've personally had 75k in new CLs approved (around August) and Barclays haven't touched my CL.

So who actually knows what triggers it.
Message 11 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't get why anyone does business with Barclays
And Synchrony.
Message 12 of 39
rlx01
Established Contributor

The Barclays Arrival+ has a very special niche in that it's a no FTF 2.1% CB MC card with secondary Chip + PIN support. I spend $3000+ a month outside the US in non bonus categories so it adds up fast.

Presumably other people have the Ring, SM, etc.

Not sure how Barclays and Synchrony are in the same group. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rlx01 wrote:
The Barclays Arrival+ has a very special niche in that it's a no FTF 2.1% CB MC card with secondary Chip + PIN support. I spend $3000+ a month outside the US in non bonus categories so it adds up fast.

The group includes:

Barclays - Jealous CLD's

Synchrony - Blue envelopes of DOOM

Comenity - Random(?) Account Closures

Have I missed anyone?

Message 14 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @Tyger! I agree. I'm glad it happened now. Even if I would have tried to get mine restored I would be paranoid to use it for fear of being declined in public, or always having to check the app daily to make sure they don't do it again... or wonder every time I want a new card if Barclays will shut me down for it. I've said I'm lucky I had a zero balance. This seems to happen a lot to ppl and they lower it right above their balance and then they are 90-95% utilized and their FICO tanks. Good riddance Barclays.

As @Austin said.... this is normal. I didn't realize how much so till it happened. I always thought it wouldn't happen to me as my score raised 125-150 since Approval and I did everything right... haha! Go read other credit sites and even sites like redit and quora... it happens to sooooooooo many people. All of them say "I didn't think it would happen to me" or "I love my Barclays card and they have never done anything like that to me" etc....

I hope it doesn't cuz it sucks and is a Sh!tty feeling. But.... I would say it probably will and make sure you never keep a balance if you don't want to be utilized 90% on one card.
Message 15 of 39
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Barclay is like a dose of sour bitters to keep a pet off of something.  Once you get a taste of it you will never do it again.  It's just kind of a fact of life that they're a bunch of turds and no one wants to clean up after them.  They fit in the ladder of turds between comenity and sync when it comes to shifty practices at time but, hey, at least they're consistent Smiley Wink  Some don't heed the warning signs or just had their experience with them prior to finding this site because it was an easy in for a couple of cards while rebuilding and then getting bit in the @$$ after going for that 1 more card after being approved.

Message 16 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread and all of the others like it or the reason I plan to get the Arrival, redeem the bonus and subsequently SD the card.
Message 17 of 39
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, @ 12v, unfortumately until a Chase or Amex want to help hold up this rebuilders walls, ill have to continue to suffer the indignity of all my Synch accounts dreamily taunting me with with visions of blue. Smiley Wink
Message 18 of 39
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Message 19 of 39
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

The group includes:

Barclays - Jealous CLD's

Synchrony - Blue envelopes of DOOM

Comenity - Random(?) Account Closures

Have I missed anyone?

Comenity (or Barclay, or Synchrony) doesn't just randomly close accounts. There is an algorithim. How effective the algorithim may or may not be is a whole different story but it's never random.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.