Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays lowered my limit to a to $500

tag
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays lowered my limit to a to $500

Which is why I carry a hefty balance. APR is 9.24% so it's barely noticable.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 11 of 84
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay's Rewards MC was my first credit card.  Started at $500 then got an auto CLI to $1,500.  I noticed them soft pulling my credit an awful lot.  I nearly maxed out the card at first not knowing about utility.  Score dropped 40 points then gained 40 points when I paid it down.  Then I began to ask why have a card with an ability to spend $50-$150 (10%).  So I began applying for other cards.  I decided I didn't need big brother looking over my back all the time so I ditched Barclay's.  Anything I buy over $200 goes on my Blispay card.  It usually has a balance between $700 and $1,000.  My other 8 Visas and MCs only get about $25 to $100 spend per month.  Hopefully Citi and Chase doesn't CLD any of the cards I have but I don't think they are as butthurt as Barclay's seems to be.

Chase and Citi will only CLD you if things drastically take a turn for the worse on your profile, very high util, excessive inquiries etc they are not as touchy as Barclays which is one of the reasons they are blacklisted with me.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 12 of 84
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I do not understand that company.

Neither do I.

For example they were my first Instant Approval for $5K on the Rewards MC after a few tries for Sallie Mae earlier went nowhere and wasted HP's

Kept that card and used it normally even letting them make interest from me numerous times by rolling balances on occasion.

Eventually got weary of getting told no all the time for ANY cli requested and having to endure very harsh scrutiny from their U/W interrogation techniques which bordered on the unruly at times, so applied for The Ring one day and that one too was denied,

BUT they did allow to take from the Rewards MC to open the Ring at that same limit. Opportunity presented itself for a strategic spree this past summer to round out my profile but before going forward with that, it was the better part of valor to get Barclays out-of-the-way so I closed the Ring, a good card that I liked a lot.

Barclays makes no sense to me. They just arrogantly seem to throw away good paying customers along with PROFITS which once frustrated turns those customers attention over to their competitors because other lenders are more than happy to tap into that interest flow etc.

Message 13 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unreal! I remember when I had a Juniper Master Card (Barclay's) and they offered me up to a $10,000 CL and opened it with $1,200. Six months later they decreased it to $500. Yes, I closed it! Sorry you had this happen. As other posters have said, Barclay's makes their bed and they can lay in it!
Message 14 of 84
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Neither do I.

For example they were my first Instant Approval for $5K on the Rewards MC after a few tries for Sallie Mae earlier went nowhere and wasted HP's

Kept that card and used it normally even letting them make interest from me numerous times by rolling balances on occasion.

Eventually got weary of getting told no all the time for ANY cli requested and having to endure very harsh scrutiny from their U/W interrogation techniques which bordered on the unruly at times, so applied for The Ring one day and that one too was denied,

BUT they did allow to take from the Rewards MC to open the Ring at that same limit. Opportunity presented itself for a strategic spree this past summer to round out my profile but before going forward with that, it was the better part of valor to get Barclays out-of-the-way so I closed the Ring, a good card that I liked a lot.

Barclays makes no sense to me. They just arrogantly seem to throw away good paying customers along with PROFITS which once frustrated turns those customers attention over to their competitors because other lenders are more than happy to tap into that interest flow etc.

Yeah and I really did have to sweat to get that Ring card too. One of the things holding me back was that I had a number of TU hard pulls from applying for a CLI on my Barclays LL Bean $2k CL card... at the time I didn't know they were doing a HP with each CLI request. When I explained to their "analysts" that these HP's had nothing to do with aggressive credit-seeking, but were merely an attempt to make my Barclays LL Bean card a bit more useful, they said they understood but the 'system' wouldn't let them grant me the card because of the inquiries. I.e. they had no discretion to 'analyze' the situation, they were locked out of anything other than a denial. Not very sensible.

And now of course, since I'm not willing to be monogamous with Barclays, since I don't trust any bank and want to be diversified, I'm always at risk of some weird 'adverse action' by Barclays whenever they decide to get jealous of my new relationships Smiley Happy

But I am sufficiently enamoured with the Ring card that I would probably never close that account. 'She' would have to be the one to file for divorce  Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 84
baller4life
Super Contributor

SMH @ Sir Barclays. Sorry OP. Just Barclays being their skittish selves. Don't lose any sleep over it! Plenty of other fish in the sea! 😉
Message 16 of 84
baller4life
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Neither do I.

Yeah and I really did have to sweat to get that Ring card too. One of the things holding me back was that I had a number of TU hard pulls from applying for a CLI on my Barclays LL Bean $2k CL card... at the time I didn't know they were doing a HP with each CLI request. When I explained to their "analysts" that these HP's had nothing to do with aggressive credit-seeking, but were merely an attempt to make my Barclays LL Bean card a bit more useful, they said they understood but the 'system' wouldn't let them grant me the card because of the inquiries. I.e. they had no discretion to 'analyze' the situation, they were locked out of anything other than a denial. Not very sensible.

And now of course, since I'm not willing to be monogamous with Barclays, since I don't trust any bank and want to be diversified, I'm always at risk of some weird 'adverse action' by Barclays whenever they decide to get jealous of my new relationships Smiley Happy

But I am sufficiently enamoured with the Ring card that I would probably never close that account. 'She' would have to be the one to file for divorce  Smiley Happy

I was very sad to close mines. But, I refused to be held hostage by Barclays. It was more important for me to be diversified and not depend solely on Barclays. 

Message 17 of 84
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Neither do I.

I was very sad to close mines. But, I refused to be held hostage by Barclays. It was more important for me to be diversified and not depend solely on Barclays. 

The Ring card can just have her way with me Smiley Happy If she reduces my credit limit, I probably deserved it Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 18 of 84
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Neither do I.

You are not alone on that.

But it was also a no-brainer on this end. With the good results from the summer spree I know now that it was the right choice at the right time.

Barclay's would have gone ballistic and I would have had a much weaker profile with an even longer time to wait to recover.

Yep, no brainer. They don't want the business or need the profits, FINE THEN.

Their competitors are very happy to pick up the slack

Message 19 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just waiting for Barclay to AA me. if they do, their loss, not mine. Like Baller said, plenty of other fish.

Message 20 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.