Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays's Reward suprise CLI

tag
ntx
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclays's Reward suprise CLI

I just got a Barclay auto CLI too, from $500 to $1250. Originally approved last Nov. 29.

Strange thing is, I'm at 88% UTL overall right now, with 4 cards each over 90% individually. I bought a house last December cash, ( a cheap one ) and have had to finance some improvements etc. That was planned though, and I will get it paid off over 12-18 months. I was at 692 EQ last December, currently at 628 EQ, purely due to UTL   Smiley Sad

I've used my Barclay MC purely for home utility bills, and I pay that one in full every month.

FICO 8 as of March 27, 2024:
Message 11 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I got a CLI from $2500 to $4700 on my Barclay NFL after 6 months.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 18
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

congrats on

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 13 of 18
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

congrats on the cli Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 14 of 18
mr_postman
Regular Contributor

CONGRATS!!!!

they did me wrong they CLD me what a joke reason for CLD was something about balance it to high to credit line Smiley Very HappyI pay in full every month so I closed the account

Message 15 of 18
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I have had the account for a year without a CLI.  It doesn't seem to matter how I use it, I get nothing!  I realize that I have opened up about 8 new accounts since getting this one, all better, and that could be the reason.  However, if they wanted to get me to use the card, then offer me something better.  PC me, give me a higher CLI, lower my interest rate, improve my rewards, or something!  I basically havent used this this account in a few months because I am tired of them.  When I first got the card it said after 5 months I would get an increase.  After 5 months I got nothing!  PayPal on the other hand has gotten quite a bit of use.  They increased my limit from $1500 to $3,000 after 3 months.  Last month I called them and spoke with an analyst and asked for $7500.  They said no, but with a little bit of pushing they thought things out and gave me the $7,500 limit.  They didn't even counter offer to $5,000!?!  I expected a counter offer since it was a bit of a jump and all the hassle I went through.  (I wonder if I should have asked for $10,000.)  The PayPal account was opened in January and they noticed right away that I could use more credit, so they got a lot of use. 

Barclays, nothing, nada, zilch, zip, zero.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 18
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

I have had the account for a year without a CLI.  It doesn't seem to matter how I use it, I get nothing!  I realize that I have opened up about 8 new accounts since getting this one, all better, and that could be the reason.  However, if they wanted to get me to use the card, then offer me something better.  PC me, give me a higher CLI, lower my interest rate, improve my rewards, or something!  I basically havent used this this account in a few months because I am tired of them.  When I first got the card it said after 5 months I would get an increase.  After 5 months I got nothing!  PayPal on the other hand has gotten quite a bit of use.  They increased my limit from $1500 to $3,000 after 3 months.  Last month I called them and spoke with an analyst and asked for $7500.  They said no, but with a little bit of pushing they thought things out and gave me the $7,500 limit.  They didn't even counter offer to $5,000!?!  I expected a counter offer since it was a bit of a jump and all the hassle I went through.  (I wonder if I should have asked for $10,000.)  The PayPal account was opened in January and they noticed right away that I could use more credit, so they got a lot of use. 

Barclays, nothing, nada, zilch, zip, zero.

Almost identical story, minus 7 of the 8 accounts you added.  I added one measly account a month after my Barclays and it's grown quite well <ahem>.  Barclays seems to love some and hate others and it feels I'm veering into the latter.  Hard to figure out what pattern those clowns are looking for.  But to be fair, they've been mostly OK to me and I like that the rewards are available so quickly.  Continuing my gratuitous thread-jack, I've opened a new account and plan to shut Barclays out... maybe it will work for me.

Congrats to OP, you cracked the code.  Keep it upSmiley Happy

Message 17 of 18
fnne99
Established Member

According to another post somewhere on this forum people seemed to find that with Barclay's, they seem to like about %40-%60 util on the card, Lots of activity with large chunks of cash coming in every month but not PIF. That along with no new credit or HP's is what I was doing and seemed to work along with a bunch of other folks apparently.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.