Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays's Rewards?

tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays's Rewards?

@SnackTrader wrote:

Does anyone know if car insurance counts towards Utilities for 2x points? I wouldn't think that it does, but I thought it was worth checking for some extra rewards. 

Thanks in advance!

I would say no. But it never hurts to try one time.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 11 of 21
notfancy
Valued Contributor

This card is new on my want list, but mainly due to the bonus for utility payments, that is really nice.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 12 of 21
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

New question: does anyone know if there is a list of what Barclays considers a utility out there? Specific merchant codes would be most helpful. I haven't been able to find anything of this sort. 

My dilemma really only surrounds $2 different in rewards. If I pay car insurance through my Quicksilver card I will get around $6 in rewards guaranteed. If I take the shot with the Barclays Rewards card I will either get $4 in rewards (worst case) or $8 (best case). My gut (and some past study of game theory) tells me that if I am unable to get new information, I should take the guaranteed $6. So this is my last attempt at that information. 

Thanks for everyone's help!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 13 of 21
CelticLady
Regular Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

New question: does anyone know if there is a list of what Barclays considers a utility out there? Specific merchant codes would be most helpful. I haven't been able to find anything of this sort. 

My dilemma really only surrounds $2 different in rewards. If I pay car insurance through my Quicksilver card I will get around $6 in rewards guaranteed. If I take the shot with the Barclays Rewards card I will either get $4 in rewards (worst case) or $8 (best case). My gut (and some past study of game theory) tells me that if I am unable to get new information, I should take the guaranteed $6. So this is my last attempt at that information. 

I just paid my motorcycle insurance on my Barclay rewards card and only got 1x so they don't count it as a utility. It is through Geico. I would put it on your Quicksilver which is what I intend to do when my car insurance is due in a few months.

Wells Fargo Propel / AMEX BCE / Cap1 QS WMC / Chase Freedom / Cap1 QS / Discover it / Cap1 QSO / Chase Amazon Visa / PayPal CBMC /
Message 14 of 21
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@CelticLady wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

I just paid my motorcycle insurance on my Barclay rewards card and only got 1x so they don't count it as a utility. It is through Geico. I would put it on your Quicksilver which is what I intend to do when my car insurance is due in a few months.

Thank you, CelticLady - this is extremely helpful!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm new here, so not quite sure how this works, but here goes. Question:  I recently was denied for the Travelocity Rewards Axex issued by Barclays. The credit score they gave me in the denial letter was EX 689. However, I know that my EX score was in the high 700's when I made the request. I use their credit tracker. Anyone have some insight on this? Thanks.

Message 16 of 21
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I'm new here, so not quite sure how this works, but here goes. Question:  I recently was denied for the Travelocity Rewards Axex issued by Barclays. The credit score they gave me in the denial letter was EX 689. However, I know that my EX score was in the high 700's when I made the request. I use their credit tracker. Anyone have some insight on this? Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

For the best results in getting your question answered you should start your own thread rather than posting within an existing thread. 

The answer to your question may result from a few problems:

1) Credit scores can change every time new information appears onto a report. If new information appeared (balances, new accounts, etc) between your most recent credit tracker report and the time of the application, it may result in a lower score. 

2) There are hundreds of different types of credit scores, so Barclays may use different types for credit tracker and applications. This could also be the difference in a FICO or FAKO score. 

3) There are 3 different major credit bureaus that may each contain different information (Transunion, Equifax, Experian). If your credit tracker and Barclays applications use different credit bureaus, it could result in varying scores. 

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, thanks. They only pulled EX, and I had been trackimg my score every day during period that I applied, Could it be a mistake, I wonder?  How are Barclays with recons? Any specific number to call?

Message 18 of 21
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, thanks. They only pulled EX, and I had been trackimg my score every day during period that I applied, Could it be a mistake, I wonder?  How are Barclays with recons? Any specific number to call?

Unlikely that it was a mistake. It was probably a result of one of the factors I mentioned up top. But don't focus so much on the score - people can be approved with a 650 score and denied with an 800 score. So much more goes into a credit application than just score. My suggestion is to call an analyst (link below) and see what you can find out about why they denied you. If you need some help from the community in figuring out which steps to take, I suggest you post a question or two to the board and see what type of answers you can find. One word of advice, before calling recon you should ALWAYS know what your credit report looks like. Since you were recently denied credit, you are able to get a free copy of your credit report. Pull a copy ASAP and look that over before calling. Good luck!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Message 19 of 21
Tony275
Valued Contributor

This card is making it's way up to the top of my want list!! SM and BR!

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.