Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bbva premium card

tag
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

Bbva premium card

Does anyone have a bbva premium card? Is it new? Didn't even know they had such a thing. Reason I asked is because they sent me an interesting offer. Nothing earth shattering, but it is a nice sign up bonus. Other than the annual fee I don't see anything wrong with the card. Can't find a lot of info on it but wondering if it's with applying as I have enough annual fee cards. Also strongly considering taking the amex platinum 100K offer so I probably shouldn't be looking at this offer.20190918_175159.jpg

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: Bbva premium card

I wasn’t familiar with this card and don’t see too many DPs on BBVA. The pick your categories seems like a nice perk. Does it list which options you gave to chose from? This is similar to the Synovus where you get 3% Dining and get to pick another 3% category
Message 2 of 11
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

I was gonna app for that when I decided to go with the CP last month. In my case, it was only the SUB that made it attractive but without Premier Banking with them, my Propel with 0 Fees on 0 relationship beats it any day!
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure the SUB is higher than CP but, BBVA doesn't really PC from what I was looking at when evaluating them.  $125 for basically a CP w/ enhanced "perks" you're pre-paying for doesn't make much sense.

They have been making headway with fixing some of the website issues like enabling auto-pay to be edited online instead of getting someone involved to make changes.  

BBVA is still pretty BASIC when it comes to cards though.

Message 4 of 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:
I wasn’t familiar with this card and don’t see too many DPs on BBVA. The pick your categories seems like a nice perk. Does it list which options you gave to chose from? This is similar to the Synovus where you get 3% Dining and get to pick another 3% category

I got the same offer by email. It doesn't list the options for rewards, but since the Premium card gives you one 3% category and two 2% it should be the same choices as their Clear Points card which gives you one 3% & one 2% category choices, which are: Business Services, Dining, Entertainment, Gas, Utilities, Healthcare, Maintenance, Retail, Travel, Groceries.

I do 3% on groceries as my local Walmart codes as grocery, so anything I buy there gets 3%. Their categories are pretty broad, I have healthcare as my 2% category and it's covered doctors, dentists, & pharmacies.

As for DPs I got a mailer w/preapproval code for Clear Points in March, instant approval for $6500. Then in April they had a checking account SUB for $250 so I opened an account and moved a DD to them. Then in July I was in a branch depositing a check and the teller pushed me to app for the Rewards card which is a 2% all purchases with a DD of $1k or more going into their account, which I have. But I told her I thought it was too soon since I'd only been with them for less than 3 months. She said that wouldn't be a problem so I let her app for me, instant approval for $6k.

That's a nice SUB of $300 for $2k spend for the Premium card, the SUB for their other cards is only $100 for $1500 spend, but no way it's worth the $125 AF.  I was tempted to app for the Premium card for the SUB and then cancel before the AF next year, but I don't like to risk souring a relationship over greed for a SUB. And BBVA has always pulled EX for me, and my EX is hurting a bit from too many inquiries & new accounts.

Message 5 of 11
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I got that same email offer... It told me I had to visit a branch to app for it. (Not in the market for a new card anytime soon anyways.)

For anyone living in California, PG&E is doing another rate hike next month so 3% back on utilities adds up in a hurry!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

I got that same email offer... It told me I had to visit a branch to app for it. (Not in the market for a new card anytime soon anyways.)

For anyone living in California, PG&E is doing another rate hike next month so 3% back on utilities adds up in a hurry!

Then go to USB and get a cash+ for 5% instead Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

Haven't done much research on the categories as I was turned off by the annual fee lol.

@credit_is_crack wrote:

Message 8 of 11
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

Yes I love my CSR and know this card isn't a replacement. Think I was just so blinded by the sign up bonus, but the annual fee really negates the cost.

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure the SUB is higher than CP but, BBVA doesn't really PC from what I was looking at when evaluating them.  $125 for basically a CP w/ enhanced "perks" you're pre-paying for doesn't make much sense.

They have been making headway with fixing some of the website issues like enabling auto-pay to be edited online instead of getting someone involved to make changes.  

BBVA is still pretty BASIC when it comes to cards though.

Message 9 of 11
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

Yea I get the mailers for the clear points card as well. This seems too similiar if only it didn't have an annual fee it would probably be a good care to have. I like the look of the card as well.

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@credit_is_crack wrote:

I got the same offer by email. It doesn't list the options for rewards, but since the Premium card gives you one 3% category and two 2% it should be the same choices as their Clear Points card which gives you one 3% & one 2% category choices, which are: Business Services, Dining, Entertainment, Gas, Utilities, Healthcare, Maintenance, Retail, Travel, Groceries.

I do 3% on groceries as my local Walmart codes as grocery, so anything I buy there gets 3%. Their categories are pretty broad, I have healthcare as my 2% category and it's covered doctors, dentists, & pharmacies.

As for DPs I got a mailer w/preapproval code for Clear Points in March, instant approval for $6500. Then in April they had a checking account SUB for $250 so I opened an account and moved a DD to them. Then in July I was in a branch depositing a check and the teller pushed me to app for the Rewards card which is a 2% all purchases with a DD of $1k or more going into their account, which I have. But I told her I thought it was too soon since I'd only been with them for less than 3 months. She said that wouldn't be a problem so I let her app for me, instant approval for $6k.

That's a nice SUB of $300 for $2k spend for the Premium card, the SUB for their other cards is only $100 for $1500 spend, but no way it's worth the $125 AF.  I was tempted to app for the Premium card for the SUB and then cancel before the AF next year, but I don't like to risk souring a relationship over greed for a SUB. And BBVA has always pulled EX for me, and my EX is hurting a bit from too many inquiries & new accounts.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.