Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming an AU on Wife's AMEX CC

tag
UnderEstimated
Contributor

Becoming an AU on Wife's AMEX CC

Long story short... about 3 years ago I had to file for BK.  Unfortunately, my AMEX account was CO'd and IIB.  I've read some comments and stories online that have stated AMEX is unforgiving with BKs and if they were included in your debt discharge, it's unlikely you'll get another account with them, even years after the BK falls off your CRs.

Could I be added as an AU on my wife's account?  I know they require a SSN; will that red flag anything?  Do they do a HP?  I'm hoping to find some answers before I make an attempt to be added.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Becoming an AU on Wife's AMEX CC

@UnderEstimated wrote:

Long story short... about 3 years ago I had to file for BK.  Unfortunately, my AMEX account was CO'd and IIB.  I've read some comments and stories online that have stated AMEX is unforgiving with BKs and if they were included in your debt discharge, it's unlikely you'll get another account with them, even years after the BK falls off your CRs.

Could I be added as an AU on my wife's account?  I know they require a SSN; will that red flag anything?  Do they do a HP?  I'm hoping to find some answers before I make an attempt to be added.

Thanks in advance.

They won't HP you if she adds you as an AU\ADM.   Not sure about how it would red flag anything currently (AMEX changes things at times), the worst I'd think they'd do is not allow you to become an AU (ADM: Additional Card Member).    The only other possibility is they might (kind of unlikely)  FR you're wife's account.   If they allow it, you might even get your Original MSD back (the year you first got your AMEX).  They won't backdate the AU\ADM account to her date however if you're curious.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

1) AMEX Blacklists even for ACMs.  Not sure if they ACM blacklist for BKs, but definitely for non BK charge offs.  After long period, people have had a little luck dropping off blacklist but that is more of a luck thing.  There is no HP for adding as ACM.  Whether or not BK in on CR makes no difference as to whether or not you are still on blacklist.  CONCLUSION: Go ahead and go for it and see what happens.  Probably a decent way to see if you are still on blacklist (assuming BKs are blacklisted for ACMs)

2) You will not get MSD on ACM card.  Policy now is ACM cards get actual open date.

3) Not sure what amount you BKed AMEX for.  But you might want to consider Oasis if you can afford to pay back.  It is a little tricky with BK as AMEX will never ask for the money back given that BK cancelled the debt so you almost need to offer it.  But Oasis would be really helpful for you credit wise.  You would get cards backdated back to your original open year.  Once your BK falls off, it would "fill" in your credit back before the BK.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Crashem wrote:

1) AMEX Blacklists even for ACMs.  Not sure if they ACM blacklist for BKs, but definitely for non BK charge offs.  After long period, people have had a little luck dropping off blacklist but that is more of a luck thing.  There is no HP for adding as ACM.  Whether or not BK in on CR makes no difference as to whether or not you are still on blacklist.  CONCLUSION: Go ahead and go for it and see what happens.  Probably a decent way to see if you are still on blacklist (assuming BKs are blacklisted for ACMs)

2) You will not get MSD on ACM card.  Policy now is ACM cards get actual open date.

3) Not sure what amount you BKed AMEX for.  But you might want to consider Oasis if you can afford to pay back.  It is a little tricky with BK as AMEX will never ask for the money back given that BK cancelled the debt so you almost need to offer it.  But Oasis would be really helpful for you credit wise.  You would get cards backdated back to your original open year.  Once your BK falls off, it would "fill" in your credit back before the BK.

+1

OP - If your AMEX was IIB, you will not be able to be added as an ACM on your wife's card, unfortunately.

Message 4 of 6
RyVision
Valued Contributor

OP,

Let us know what  you decide to do and your results if you decide to try for it.  I don't think you have anything to lose by attempting it, other than a rather probable "no" by AMEX really.

Best of luck regardless   Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It actually states an ACM must be over 18 (on my profile) and cannot have been delinquent on any debt to Amex .

I'd say, try the Oasis program.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.