Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Travel Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beginner Travel Card

I just recently got the CFU in April $1700 SL and Amex Everyday $2000 SL in May. I am currently a college student and will be traveling abroad twice in the next 2 years and looking for a beginner travel card that offers some cool perks. I was looking at the BofA Premium Rewards but have seen many people get denied. I have also looked at the CapOne Venture but I'm worried about them being inquiry sensitive?

I have 4 inquiries in the last 12 months. One was for my apartment at school. The other 3 - 2 mentioned above - and BofA Cash Rewards in October $1500 SL. I have relationship with BofA and am preapproved for the BofA Premium Rewards. I won't be getting another card until September. Appreciate any insight you guys may have into other cards, odds, etc. The only other card I have is a DiscoverIT Student from April of last year with $3100 CL.

I wanted the Amex Gold but the reason I won't be getting that even though it makes sense is that there's never a downgrade option and I don't want to tie myself down so early with a forced AF card. My worry with CSP is that I don’t 1 have enough history with them and 2 won’t be able to qualify for $5000 SL. I don’t know though

Uti: <1%

AAoA: <1 year because of recent inquiries

Score through Experian ~740

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Beginner Travel Card

Not understanding what you're saying about the gold. You can always downgrade, it's just recommended to wait until the 13th month, when the second AF hits. At its current 35k sub, at worst redemption, which is for cash, you'll still get the equivalent of $210. Transferring it to most partners will equal $310. That's not including taking advantage of the $120 dining and the $100 airline credits. Getting an upgraded sub of 45k ups it to $270 and $450, respectively. It's not hard to offset the AF the first year, which is why many will take the gold for the sub and downgrade to the green the second year.

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could definitely get positive EV from the Gold Card. But if I get it right now then I'm stuck paying the AF forever - since even if I downgrade to a Green there's still an AF. I don’t know if i want a forced AF card as my 5th card because I don't ever want to have to cancel my first cards. I also would rather apply for the Platinum to get higher offer and then downgrade to gold year after for better SUB but I wouldn't be able to get that right now imo. 

Message 3 of 20
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I'm personally not worried about HPs, so if I saw a pre-approval for the PR, I'd go for it. It's one of my favorite cards and will be my go-to when I qualify for preferred rewards.

I don't know if your relationship with BoA includes a wealth management adviser, but if it does, you could talk to him/her about applying as well. Mine asked me about it once and I informed him I already had it. I like to believe they can help "push" a decision if it wasn't going the right way for you. This is how I got my very first credit card at PNC. I was denied for it back around 2006 and when I got a car loan the same year, the person at the bank asked if I wanted to get a credit card. I said I was denied previously and he went away and then came back and said he got me approved. YMMV.

As for what to suggest if you don't go with the PR, I'm sure others have/will chime in.

Message 4 of 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I could definitely get positive EV from the Gold Card. But if I get it right now then I'm stuck paying the AF forever - since even if I downgrade to a Green there's still an AF. I don’t know if i want a forced AF card as my 5th card because I don't ever want to have to cancel my first cards. I also would rather apply for the Platinum to get higher offer and then downgrade to gold year after for better SUB but I wouldn't be able to get that right now imo. 

Not getting your logic. The CSP has an annual fee as well. Nobody offers a downgrade sub and unlike chase, amex will offer you upgrade and retention offers fairly consistently which is why churners will downgrade and upgrade every year to take advantage of it.

Message 5 of 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

What exactly is "forced AF"? 

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I was to get any AMEX charge card right now, in order to keep that account open I have to pay an annual fee every year for as long as I keep it. Since I've recently started my credit career whatever accounts I open right now I want to keep forever. Therefore I'm stuck paying an AF forever because I won't want to close this account in 10 years due to its length. But if I get another card woth an AF w/ downgrade option to no annual fee I can sock drawer it and not have to worry whatsoever about keeping it open/closing it. 

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but it can be downgraded to a freedom if I wasn't getting positive EV or wanted to use something else ( Maybe Amex down the line) Didn't know about the retention offers and upgrade/downgrade. Definitely going to look into that as that adds a lot of value to offset the AF. Thanks 

Message 8 of 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I was to get any AMEX charge card right now, in order to keep that account open I have to pay an annual fee every year for as long as I keep it. Since I've recently started my credit career whatever accounts I open right now I want to keep forever. Therefore I'm stuck paying an AF forever because I won't want to close this account in 10 years due to its length. But if I get another card woth an AF w/ downgrade option to no annual fee I can sock drawer it and not have to worry whatsoever about keeping it open/closing it. 

You cannot have your cake and eat it. 

You're not "stuck" paying it, you get something in return for it, and no one is forcing you to apply for any card with AF. 

Keeping cards forever is silly, romantic notion. Benefits change, get nerfed, none of it is static. 

Honestly, I would just stick with no AF cards in your case for the time being. 

AF is not a punishment, you're trading AF for perks and additional benefits those cards provide. 

Give yourself some time until you get a better understanding and see what works for you. 

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand no one forces you to pay it and that's why I mentioned I wasn't going to get it lol. I'm just trying to build a good card foundation that I can keep forever to maintain my AAoA and not have to pay any AF for these cards. Later once I have more time under my belt I can afford to apply for cards and eventually cancel them and have them have less of an impact.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.