Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being asked by Amex for tax return?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Being asked by Amex for tax return?

Actually I studied this for several hours last night. There's something called "First-sale doctrine", and generally speaking, the merchant's T&C restricting the resale of their merchandise is not legally enforceable. Unless it's something about books or CDs, in which case the situation will be more complicated and there are several lawsuits going on as the previous member had mentioned above. 

Of course, I will consult with my lawyer before I really plunge into this business.

Message 31 of 41
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually I studied this for several hours last night. There's something called "First-sale doctrine", and generally speaking, the merchant's T&C restricting the resale of their merchandise is not legally enforceable. Unless it's something about books or CDs, in which case the situation will be more complicated and there are several lawsuits going on as the previous member had mentioned above. 

Of course, I will consult with my lawyer before I really plunge into this business.

First sale doctrine only applies to goods that are manufactured and sold in US. Cases mentioned by previous member are when someone sold foreign good to US. Supreme Court has ruled that first sale doctrine does NOT apply to foreign good.

The kid that was mentioned sold books from Thailand to US. Does not get protection from first sale doctrine.

Costco got sued for selling watches originally from Switzerland. 9th Circuit Court hold Costco liable because watches were not manufactured in US, and Supreme Court affirmed the decision.

Message 32 of 41
AvaMommy
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Open a business credit card next time

Un wise. We don't even know what he is selling to the Chinese at a profit.

+1

Starting Score: FAKO: TU 602 EQ 550 EX 565 - 08|2012
Current Score: MyFICO: TU 633 EQ 637 EX 669 (AMEX PULL)09|2012
Goal Score: 700 across the board In my wallet: NFCU cashRewards 12000CL, NFCU LOC 10K CL, BofA cashRewards 5000CL, BofA PP 3000CL, JAREDS (AU) 1500CL, SEARS (AU) 7000CL
Under my mattress: Orchard Bank 320CL and Saks Fifth Avenue 100CL. Finally in the Garden. App Free Since 9/18/12 - No apps until March 2013
Message 33 of 41
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

+1, trumpet-205.

And @ UtahNewbie...Hahvahd, I presume?

Your written English has improved considerably from last evening.

Well done!

Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 41
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
It might be free to you but I would be paying for it and that would make me angry...
Try to stay on the legal side of the law kiddo...
I'm not sure a public forum is the place to discuss your business ideas.

Which ones, webhopper?  The one about lying on the Amex credit app, or the one about reselling synthetic marijuana (conveniently edited out two minutes after I posted in message 20.)

Let's let this kid go to sleep, he's got classes in the morning, and I'm sure his friends are tired, too.

Smiley Happy

The illegal ones Smiley Wink ... basically every idea posted by the OP... I'm sure he "forgot" to pay state sales tax as well... darn pesky legalities...
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 35 of 41
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jonmartin wrote:

Man I'm glad I don't have to deal with that **bleep** from AMEX.  NFCU FTW  LOL.

I sincerely hope that you didn't read the entire thread before posting your opinion. I sincerely hope NFCU will close accounts in cases such as this; and that due dilligence is used in all cases; as it was in mine before credit is issued.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 36 of 41
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

I don't think JohnMartin meant it that way at least I didn't take it that way and I agree...I have an Amex and have read stories about tax docs being requested just because... I see where Amex is coming from as a company though....but some ppl are happy they don't have to deal with it

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 37 of 41
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

So are you from China?

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@webhopper wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
It might be free to you but I would be paying for it and that would make me angry...
Try to stay on the legal side of the law kiddo...
I'm not sure a public forum is the place to discuss your business ideas.

Which ones, webhopper?  The one about lying on the Amex credit app, or the one about reselling synthetic marijuana (conveniently edited out two minutes after I posted in message 20.)

Let's let this kid go to sleep, he's got classes in the morning, and I'm sure his friends are tired, too.

Smiley Happy

The illegal ones Smiley Wink ... basically every idea posted by the OP... I'm sure he "forgot" to pay state sales tax as well... darn pesky legalities...

I resale products to people in China, so I am not obliged to collect state tax as a merchant. If you mean I don't pay use tax for the products I bought online, on the Utah Tax

Commission webpage, itsays"You must pay use tax on all taxable items bought for storage, use or consumption in Utah during the tax year if sales tax was not paid to the seller at the time ofpurchase." Oh, I forgot to tell you that these products are shipped directly from the website to my warehouse in Oregon or Delaware to be freighted to
China. So I guess I don't need to pay use tax because these merchandise are not"stored, used or consumpted"in Utah. Isn't it?

Message 39 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

+1, trumpet-205.

@Anonymous @ UtahNewbie...Hahvahd, I presume?

Your written English has improved considerably from last evening.

Well done!

Smiley Happy

It makes you feel good to be sarcastic with some new immigrant's English skill?  Or you really can not tell?

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.