Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit Changes for WMC and WEMC

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Benefit Changes for WMC and WEMC

Doctor of Credit is reporting that WMC and WEMC benefits are being updated.

From DoC:

Mastercard World and World Elite cardholders in the U.S. will get new benefits, including a monthly $10 Lyft credit when you take 5 rides, 500 Fandango points for every 2 movies purchased, 5% back at Boxed.com , and $5 off $25 at Postmates. These benefits begins today. Cardmembers will also get cell phone insurance beginning July 1. These benefits are valid on consumer Mastercards only.

Link:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/mastercard-overhauls-card-benefits-full-details-10-lyft-credit-cell-p...

DoC is also reporting that according to Nerdwallet, Extended Warranty and Price Protection are being removed.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Benefit Changes for WMC and WEMC

It’s nice to see a few real world benefits added as opposed to long lists of benefits no one actually uses. While none of these are super exciting to me, it’s a step.
Message 2 of 30
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I have never taken advantage of any WMC benefits, but that’s nice especially with the cell phone insurance. Too bad I pay my phone bill with a Visa..... lol
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

The Lyft “benefit” is not really.  By the time I might get to 5 rides in a month, and the benefit is only on #6, I will probably be better off using Altitude Reserve for 4.5% with a certain benefit on all those rides, and certainly better off if it is only 4 rides in the month.  

Even Platinum is better because the first Uber ride of the month gets the benefit.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

The Lyft “benefit” is not really.  By the time I might get to 5 rides in a month, and the benefit is only on #6, I will probably be better off using Altitude Reserve for 4.5% with a certain benefit on all those rides, and certainly better off if it is only 4 rides in the month.  

Even Platinum is better because the first Uber ride of the month gets the benefit.  

There are so many World/World Elite MC holders that they obviously cannot afford (or don't want to afford) to give out the same level of benefit a specific card product does. A specific product has far fewer holders than an entire subset of a network. There's just too many World/World Elite holders out there to expect any huge benefits.

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looked up the Master Card website ... what a worthless waste of time where I obtained zero information. Get more information on the MyFico site. In truth Visa has watered their site down. Seems as though there are a few potential core offerings and most card benefits fall to the lender. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 30
Andypanda
Established Contributor
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

Does this mean that Citi Double Cash is losing its amazing extended warranty benefit? That would be quite unfortunate.

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New MasterCard benefits

Hmm... wonder if the loss of extended warranty and price protection will be for all cards... if so, there are going to be a lot of unhappy vanilla MasterCard holders. 

I am glad I don’t rely on those benefits. 

The cell insurance benefit is a nice perk but with how much cell phones cost these days, it’s still not good enough for primary insurance. 

Message 9 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kerplunk wrote:

Does this mean that Citi Double Cash is losing its amazing extended warranty benefit? That would be quite unfortunate.

As long as the extended warranty is provided by Citi and not MasterCard you should be OK.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.