Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Besides AMEX are there other lenders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Besides AMEX are there other lenders

that SP approvals from existing members?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Besides AMEX are there other lenders

I doubt it. 

Prior to this relatively recent change by AMEX, my theory was they had a logic like this:

1) Cardholder obviously not getting a second card, denial, use available SP on file, no HP.

2) Cardmember SP not quite strong enough, get HP data, approve if possible. 

3) Cardmember SP not quite strong enough, get HP data, oops, denial anyway.

4) Cardmember instapproved off the SP, get a HP just to tag the credit file with an inquiry. 

That at is no longer the AMEX logic, but the part about tagging  credit files with a HP may be why all other banks end up doing that, even if they internally score you well. But other banks do not use the same level of sophistication on SP and internal score data, or it is not as commonly recognized.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get a SP pre-approval with a firm CL / APR from:

BBVA - need existing account to login and hit apply on the card and then it will present the limit/APR or the denial letter w/ Fico&Vantage scores

Regions - same as above but, sign up for free savings account to generate an online profile to login and then go to the pre-approval listed under CC's from the main page, login, answer questions, and it will present you an offer with CL / APR information for 1 to 3 card options.

Of course if you accept you get the HP but, it's somewhat of a twist compared to a blind app with other lenders.

Message 3 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

If you're really determined to avoid inquiries, question whether you really want new accounts.

There are exceptions, but the latter seem to usually become a problem first.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 17
redpat
Senior Contributor

IMO, the true benefit only applies is when you get business cards which don’t report to your credit reports.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes there are many other lendersSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 17
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
that SP approvals from existing members?

I can't think of one but I did get both of my Discover cards on a SP surprisingly.  

Message 7 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Can't think of any. To me though, it's a nice courtesy that they don't always do a HP, but if your profile isn't ready for a HP, it's probably not the best time for a new account anyway.

Message 8 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Yes there are many other lendersSmiley Wink

Cheeky lol

OP, the only other one that comes to mind immediately would be BB&T. There were a lot of threads talking about SP approvals even for FIRST cards from them. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I doubt it. 

Prior to this relatively recent change by AMEX, my theory was they had a logic like this:

1) Cardholder obviously not getting a second card, denial, use available SP on file, no HP.

2) Cardmember SP not quite strong enough, get HP data, approve if possible. 

3) Cardmember SP not quite strong enough, get HP data, oops, denial anyway.

4) Cardmember instapproved off the SP, get a HP just to tag the credit file with an inquiry. 

That at is no longer the AMEX logic, but the part about tagging  credit files with a HP may be why all other banks end up doing that, even if they internally score you well. But other banks do not use the same level of sophistication on SP and internal score data, or it is not as commonly recognized.  

So is there a difference between HP and SP data?   I thought that there really wasn't, all an HP did was "write" to the file as well.

ETA:  This thread suggests that they are basically the same datawise:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Difference-between-SP-vs-HP-What-is-it/td-p/5...

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.