cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Besides cash back and bonuses , what keeps you hooked on credit cards ?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For some like me I'm done ! Garden unless I would need a cli because of a emergency but at 30k CL , unless I suddenly need a new leg then I don't think I'll need a Cli . , my card collection now is quite cool , a couple visa sigs , amex , citi etc. .... My real question is when do you guys stop !? stopped at 10 cards , might consolidate some chase cards by end of the year .

What keeps you hooked on credit ?!

Do you feel more richer with higher Cl ?! 

is having more Cl than income really help ?! 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Besides cash back and bonuses , what keeps you hooked on credit cards ?!

We're here to maximize our rewards. So I don't think we're ever "done". If something comes out with a good sign on bonus (like the Ritz, despite AF) we're going to get it. At least a good portion of us. Cards are ever evolving.

Message 2 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, as much as I enjoy using and the convenience of credit cards, without the rewards, I doubt they'd have any appeal for me.  So, without an offer of better rewards and/or sign-up bonuses, I would likely never app for another card again the rest of my life.

If CCs for some reason elminated rewards, I'll revert to cash to curry favor with Merchants and will only use CCs when absolutely necessary, such as hotel & air reservations and online purchases.

Message 3 of 10
Lyythine
Established Contributor

If I said using the extra 21-30 days to gain interest on assets, would you believe me? Smiley Wink

At this point, its just a game - and I like games.

Message 4 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Cash back is basically what keeps me hooked. Getting a reward for spending you'd be doing anyway is great.

Without rewards/bonuses, there's little point to credit cards unless you geniuinely need to finance a purchase or want the fraud protection and such that tends to be better w/ credit cards vs. debit/banks. If rewards didn't exist, I would probably have one credit  card only, for emergencies, as there would be little incentive to having them.

Message 5 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

warranty and price protection are reasons to use cards even without rewards, but rewards make it a no brainder. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 10
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

It's also far easier to track spending/budgeting with cards.  Cash takes a lot more effort.

Last HP: 01/10/19 | Latest Scores: EQ FICO8 - 850 | TU FICO8 - 850 | EX FICO8 - 850
Amex BC | Amex HHonors | Amex HHonors Aspire | Amex Marriott Business | Amex Platinum | BoA Alaska Airlines | CF | CFU | CSR | Chase Ink+ | Citi DC | Citi AA UP | Discover IT
Message 7 of 10
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

Who what huh? There needs to be more!?! Smiley Very Happy Free money is enough for me! Well, honestly, and it is also fun and interesting. I guess you got me! Smiley SurprisedSmiley Happy

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 8 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I hate the hassle of change so that is where the cards come in handy. Then of course why not collect some rewards for something that does not cost any more and has to be paid anyhow?  Even though the cards I own now are more than enough there are still some nice hotel cards that I am interested in and I will try to add in the future. I am looking forward to that day where I can say there are no more cards on the market that I am interested in..lol

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not "hooked".  I apply for cards that benefit me.  I don't apply just to apply or for the thrill of approvals.  If you're hooked then address that.

@Anonymous wrote:

My real question is when do you guys stop !?

Answered above but you can also refer to any of the numerous prior "number of cards" threads for more opinions and input.

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you feel more richer with higher Cl ?! 

Nope.  Credit cards are not assets.

@Anonymous wrote:

is having more Cl than income really help ?! 

That's a very vague question and answers will vary from person to person and situation to situation.  I don't have my CL's because I expect to spend that much.  I have my CL's because with my spend it keeps my utilization at ~10%.

Do you really need to end each sentence with "?!"

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.