Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best AMEX for me?

tag
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Best AMEX for me?

So I am considering adding an AMEX but I was looking at the rewards and I am not sure which one will work for me . I want the Costco TE and/or BCE for their gas/groceries rewards. But it looks like they don't count groceries from Costco. Is there an different AMEX card that would work? I do 90% of my grocery shopping at Costco because of my 2 growing boys and very hungry husband.

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Best AMEX for me?

@Kennie02 wrote:

So I am considering adding an AMEX but I was looking at the rewards and I am not sure which one will work for me . I want the Costco TE and/or BCE for their gas/groceries rewards. But it looks like they don't count groceries from Costco. Is there an different AMEX card that would work? I do 90% of my grocery shopping at Costco because of my 2 growing boys and very hungry husband.

The only card that can get you more than 1% at costco is probably fidelity amex, but its not an true amex since its through boa/fia. If that matters at all to you, but if you want to get your foot in the door I would go for ED , its the only no af amex card where you can gain MR points!!!

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 7
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

The only card that can get you more than 1% at costco is probably fidelity amex, but its not an true amex since its through boa/fia. If that matters at all to you, but if you want to get your foot in the door I would go for ED , its the only no af amex card where you can gain MR points!!!

MR points? Is that different from the points you earn for statement credit/gc? Sorry I am a newbie when it comes to Amex.... My only amex is from USAA which is also not a real amex.

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 3 of 7
Stralem
Established Contributor

@Kennie02 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

MR points? Is that different from the points you earn for statement credit/gc? Sorry I am a newbie when it comes to Amex.... My only amex is from USAA which is also not a real amex.

The cash back cards (Blue Cash, Blue Cash Preferred) earn points to use as statement credits. MR points, or Member Reward points, is an entirely different point system. They can be used for statement credits, but that's not their only (or even recommended) use. 

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 4 of 7
ObieGrad
Valued Member

Do you buy gas at Costco?  I believe only the Costco Amex will qualify for extra cash back for Costco gas.

Message 5 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Kennie02 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

Yeh MR are membership reward points from amex. They are best used for transfer to airlines. I don't know how much you travel but if you do it could be good to apply for that card. In general tho none of the amex cards are great for costco since its 1% no matter what for in store purchases. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 7
MT936
Established Contributor

Go for the blue cash
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.