Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Airline Card for Gas

tag
Yeliaba1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Airline Card for Gas

US Bank's Altitude Connect card has been on hold.  It was due to be released over the summer.  It gives 4 points on gas and travel.  The $95 AF is waived the first year.

Message 11 of 16
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

If you're in their service area, Bank of the West Cash Back MC is 3% cash on gas, grocery and dining. Only thing I don't like is redemption is in $25 increments, but otherwise it's a good no AF card if you spend in those categories.

Message 12 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't see very many if any non AF products that offer more than 2% on gas, aside from the Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa at 5X or the PNC Rewards Visa at 4%. However, PNC is cash back and I don't know what point system Penfed is in.

off the top of my head:

BoA Cash Rewards and the co-branded variants have gas as a selectable 3% category, more if you have a Preferred Rewards status. The family of cards also have no redemption mininum. 

Penfed has their own points system.  5X Platinum Rewards points on gas works out to be about 4.25%.

AODFCU and USAlliance Visa Signatures, by virtue of being straight-up 3% cards.

The Costco card returns 4% on gas, although while there is no AF on the card you have to be a Costco member to get it, and membership has an AF.

AboundFCU (previously Ft Knox) still has their Platinum card with 5% CB on gas.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 16
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Chase's Freedom line revamp has totally screwed up where I planned to place my spend.

Before since I just have the CSP and 2x dine I was trying to put the dining on Hyatt where its 2x. Freedom Unlimited was to be for bills and at the grocery store when I didn't get a 5x bonus from the CFU or Disco.

Now with the CFU 3x dine and 3x drugstore all the spend is going there, including micro purchases for laundry and convenience stores. If I put that spend onto a Citi Rewards+ I'd lesson the reliance on the CFU. Especially the way I spend at a grocery store with 12-15 dollars at one shot instead of mega hauls.

The Citi Premier has 3x gas/grocery and no foreign transaction fees for those categories. I'd have to spend 3,167 in those categories to clear the $95 AF. I drive 12,000 miles a year and get 500 miles a tank that works out to about $886 a year in gas. Last quarter I put $167.08 on the CFU for groceries. On an annual basis that is $668.32. Total between the two categories looks to be $1,554.32. On the Rewards+ figuring 2x that would at least be $31 cash back. Including other micropurchases $40-$45 cash back w/o an AF charge.

OTOH if I ran that spend through an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred I'd get $40.1 for the groceries at 6x and $26.58 for gas at 3x. That still wouldn't equal the annual fee. Of course the 6% on groceries would trump 5% on Disco if they have that category but not the Chase Freedom when you factor in the transferrable currency.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 14 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Amex EDP ($95) sort of qualifies...2x MRs on gas becomes 3x if you use the card 30 or more times per statement period.

Amex Business Gold ($295) can potentially give 4x MRs.

Transfer bonuses can boost the number of miles you end up with even further.

I usually fill up at Costco so just use the Citi Visa.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

Amex EDP ($95) sort of qualifies...2x MRs on gas becomes 3x if you use the card 30 or more times per statement period.

Amex Business Gold ($295) can potentially give 4x MRs.

Transfer bonuses can boost the number of miles you end up with even further.

I usually fill up at Costco so just use the Citi Visa.

@wasCB14 I didn't think about the Business Gold and I actually hold this card and use it for gas and I float between dining and airfare for the second 4x each month.  

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.