cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Airline Card for Gas

Yeliaba1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Airline Card for Gas

US Bank's Altitude Connect card has been on hold.  It was due to be released over the summer.  It gives 4 points on gas and travel.  The $95 AF is waived the first year.

Message 11 of 16
ChargedUp
Valued Contributor

If you're in their service area, Bank of the West Cash Back MC is 3% cash on gas, grocery and dining. Only thing I don't like is redemption is in $25 increments, but otherwise it's a good no AF card if you spend in those categories.

AODFCU 3% Visa ($10K), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex Blue Cash ($24K), Amex Simply Cash+ ($4K), Amex Business Cash ($22.5K), Discover ($29.7K), Cap 1 Union Plus MC ($2500), Chase FU Visa Sig ($12K), Chase F Visa Sig ($8.3K), Chase CSP Visa Sig($6.5K), FCB/Elan Rewards Visa Sig($15K), Buckle ($1.3K), BofA AAA Rewards ($84.5K), Paypal credit ($10K), BBVA Clearpoints ($7.5K), Cap 1 Savor ($13K), PenFed PCR ($3500), Bank of the West CB MC ($3K), PNC Cash Rewards ($9.5K)
Message 12 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Janus wrote:

I don't see very many if any non AF products that offer more than 2% on gas, aside from the Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa at 5X or the PNC Rewards Visa at 4%. However, PNC is cash back and I don't know what point system Penfed is in.

off the top of my head:

BoA Cash Rewards and the co-branded variants have gas as a selectable 3% category, more if you have a Preferred Rewards status. The family of cards also have no redemption mininum. 

Penfed has their own points system.  5X Platinum Rewards points on gas works out to be about 4.25%.

AODFCU and USAlliance Visa Signatures, by virtue of being straight-up 3% cards.

The Costco card returns 4% on gas, although while there is no AF on the card you have to be a Costco member to get it, and membership has an AF.

AboundFCU (previously Ft Knox) still has their Platinum card with 5% CB on gas.

(4/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 815 (TU) 822 (EQ) 808
FICO 9 (EX) 827 (TU) 826 (EQ) 832

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 16
Citylights18
Established Contributor

Chase's Freedom line revamp has totally screwed up where I planned to place my spend.

Before since I just have the CSP and 2x dine I was trying to put the dining on Hyatt where its 2x. Freedom Unlimited was to be for bills and at the grocery store when I didn't get a 5x bonus from the CFU or Disco.

Now with the CFU 3x dine and 3x drugstore all the spend is going there, including micro purchases for laundry and convenience stores. If I put that spend onto a Citi Rewards+ I'd lesson the reliance on the CFU. Especially the way I spend at a grocery store with 12-15 dollars at one shot instead of mega hauls.

The Citi Premier has 3x gas/grocery and no foreign transaction fees for those categories. I'd have to spend 3,167 in those categories to clear the $95 AF. I drive 12,000 miles a year and get 500 miles a tank that works out to about $886 a year in gas. Last quarter I put $167.08 on the CFU for groceries. On an annual basis that is $668.32. Total between the two categories looks to be $1,554.32. On the Rewards+ figuring 2x that would at least be $31 cash back. Including other micropurchases $40-$45 cash back w/o an AF charge.

OTOH if I ran that spend through an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred I'd get $40.1 for the groceries at 6x and $26.58 for gas at 3x. That still wouldn't equal the annual fee. Of course the 6% on groceries would trump 5% on Disco if they have that category but not the Chase Freedom when you factor in the transferrable currency.

Official travel point totals as of 1/21/20 (402,672 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 147,239
World of Hyatt 92,558
Southwest Rapid Rewards 61,000
AMEX Membership Rewards 53,751
AA Advantage 15,244
United MileagePlus 13,316
British Airways Avios 11,332
Hilton Honors 2,081
NASA Platinum Rewards 1883
Citi Thank You 1,670
Marriott Bonvoy 1,350
Expedia Points 740
Jet Blue TrueBlue 285
Delta Sky Miles 123
Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100
Hotels.com Rewards 6/10 ($135.99)
Message 14 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Amex EDP ($95) sort of qualifies...2x MRs on gas becomes 3x if you use the card 30 or more times per statement period.

Amex Business Gold ($295) can potentially give 4x MRs.

Transfer bonuses can boost the number of miles you end up with even further.

I usually fill up at Costco so just use the Citi Visa.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 15 of 16
Loquat

@wasCB14 wrote:

Amex EDP ($95) sort of qualifies...2x MRs on gas becomes 3x if you use the card 30 or more times per statement period.

Amex Business Gold ($295) can potentially give 4x MRs.

Transfer bonuses can boost the number of miles you end up with even further.

I usually fill up at Costco so just use the Citi Visa.

@wasCB14 I didn't think about the Business Gold and I actually hold this card and use it for gas and I float between dining and airfare for the second 4x each month.  

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.