Did you mean: 

Best All Around Free Card

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Best All Around Free Card

@Dustink wrote:

US Bank Cash+ & Travel Flexperks (w/$2k/month spend) & checking package

The travel flexperks has no AF if you spend over $24k per year on it. The cash+ has no AF, and the checking package boosts your rewards.

I would say with this combination you can earn on average 4% on all spending. 

Very good value!

Also, for groceries, the BCE for no fee is excellent.  For int'l travel, the BofA travel rewards at 1.5% on spending and no forex with emv chip is also a good choice.  

Message 11 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

The travel flexperks has no AF if you spend over $24k per year on it. The cash+ has no AF, and the checking package boosts your rewards.

Very good value!

Also, for groceries, the BCE for no fee is excellent.  For int'l travel, the BofA travel rewards at 1.5% on spending and no forex with emv chip is also a good choice.  

Still think the US Bank Cash+ beats the BCE for groceries with the checking package bonus and the $25 extra with $100 redemption. Although, not as good as it used to be prior to the recent downgrading.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 12 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are right, The official offer is stated Here. So new customers will only earn the 1.1% and 1 cent., or 5.5% plus the 1 cent on the bonus categories. I guess I'm glad I have the rewards I have. My real point is that it all depends on what you are looking for. We left chase for US bank, and had better rewards, but it was terribly inconvienent and at the time the online and mobile banking systems were atrocious. We went back to chase for the ease of their  quick pay, and check image deposits. 

I have premier plus account at chase and platinum package at US Bank. US Bank has a lame website, but that doesn't bug me. I still use them as my primary bank. The both have image deposit extra. Both have several branches within a few miles of my house, so I have no preference in that regard.

I also use the freedom for small pruchases, but the flexperks has much better rewards on larger purchases.

I don't understand why you have to leave one bank for another. I just use both.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 13 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@BlueHusky wrote:

I have BCE and I share a CSP account. Are those the best then?

Did you see my post?

The Cash+ blows the BCE away, and the Flexperks in my opinion is better than the CSP.

Well, CSP isn't free.  But re Dustink, surely it depends on what you spend stuff on.  With BCE you can get 3% off the first 6K you buy at supermarkets, whereas Cash Plus is 2%, so if all you bought was groceries, BCE is better.   Cash Plus 5% categories hardly cover everything, so again depending on your spend, there may be better cards.

There is an overwhelming (but natural) tendency in these forums to promote *your* favorite card, without regard as to whether that meets the OP's need.

So in that spirit, Penfed Plat Rewards is great: free, 5% off gas, 3% off groceries (including your favorite gift cards), 1% off everything else.  Fails on travel rewards though.

I have a tendency to promote the card that is the best.

So, for groceries in your example US Bank is also better.

If you were to spend $2k per month on groceries with the flexperks card with checking package you would be earning over 5% with no AF.

Message 14 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I think we can all agree that is takes a combination of cards to provide the best rewards and benefits.

I hope one day AMEX creates a card with good benefits and rewards.

Message 15 of 39
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

What What is the bonus with US Bank checking?
Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 16 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

What is the bonus with US Bank checking?

50% for plat and 25% for gold. Gold is free with autopay cc (although you never actually have to let it auto pay, you can just pay it before it is set to autopay).  Plat is a little more complicated.

Message 17 of 39
BlueHusky
Contributor

So it seems a mix is best...I'm sort of OCD and want a card where I can have everything in one place. Seems impossible. My main expense is gas (long commute) but dealing with rotating categories is so annoying. I do have a Freedom and I bank at Chase

Starting Score: 583 (CreditKarma, 2009)
Current Score: 783 (Walmart Free FICO, March 20, 2012), 774 (Equifax, BoA Pull, 2/20/13)
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

So, for groceries in your example US Bank is also better.

If you were to spend $2k per month on groceries with the flexperks card with checking package you would be earning over 5% with no AF.

How is the 5% calculated?

Message 19 of 39
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

What is the bonus with US Bank checking?

50% for plat and 25% for gold. Gold is free with autopay cc (although you never actually have to let it auto pay, you can just pay it before it is set to autopay).  Plat is a little more complicated.

I have a US Bank near my house.  So, I get a 25% bonus on cashback if I have a checking account and sign up for auto pay? Does the autopay have to be from a us bank account?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.